Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

SCAVI TOUR: to call or to do it online? that's the question!!

Old Mar 13th, 2006, 07:24 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi everyone
I want to make reservation for late June for the Scavi tour.
I have read every thread in this forum about this subject, and some of you say that it's better to call, others say it's better to do it online...
From your experience, what really worked??? I don't want to miss this tour!
Thanks for your answers!
Old Mar 13th, 2006, 07:37 PM
Neopolitan

I'm not sure, but I followed a suggestion and sent an email asking for a tour during the middle week of June. I sent the email In January. I got the automatic reply, but of course haven't heard any more. Not sure if or when I will.

Old Mar 13th, 2006, 07:44 PM

<< From your experience, what really worked??? >>

I sent a fax and got the date and time we wanted.

Woody
Old Mar 13th, 2006, 07:55 PM

I emailed them and 12 days later I had my reservation confirmation. Whatever way you do it, I wish you the best of luck. The tour was one of the top hightlights of my trip.

Tom
Old Mar 13th, 2006, 07:59 PM
Neopolitan

Woody and Tom, how far ahead did you fax/email?

Old Mar 13th, 2006, 08:10 PM

Just in case none of these strategies work, we showed up at the Scavi office twice on two different trips to Rome. Both times we asked if we (two people) could be added to an English speaking tour and were given a time in the afternoon of the same day.

I'm not advising this - but if you don't get a confirmed reservation before you leave, don't give up and think that you might not be able to take the tour.
Old Mar 13th, 2006, 08:32 PM

Neopolitan - I sent my request about 2 months before my trip to Italy.

Tom
Old Mar 13th, 2006, 08:37 PM

I emailed them about four months before the trip, and got an automated response immediately and then nothing. About a month before the trip, I emailed again (although the automated response specifically said not to do that), and within a week, I had the reservations. I would have faxed, called or showed up at the office if the email hadn't worked.
Old Mar 13th, 2006, 09:23 PM

SusanEva, how did you get past the Swiss Guard to get into the office? I didn't think it was possible without a reservation.
Old Mar 14th, 2006, 01:33 AM

Why, if at all, are you adverse to calling? The amount of money it will cost? How much will you pay for peace of mind?

Do we even know if they will answer a phone?
Old Mar 14th, 2006, 05:24 AM

Hi WillTravel,
We just told them we were going to the Scavi office for reservations. The office is in sight of where the guards stand, not very far past the gate. I suppose they can just keep an eye on you.
Interesting that after the Scavi tour, we wandered around the grounds behind the Swiss Guard gate for a while. We saw a German group leaving a walled area. My husband - always one to ignore potential rules - followed inside and we found a lovely walled German cemetary. Very peaceful and serene place.
Old Mar 14th, 2006, 05:56 AM

I e-mailed about 2 months before our trip and received a response, with my reservation times, about 3 weeks later. However I have read numerous times that it can take months, so definitely plan ahead.

Like SusanEva, we didn't have to show our reservations to get past the Swiss guards. We just told them we were there for the tour and they let us through.

Tracy
Old Mar 14th, 2006, 11:39 AM

<< Woody . . . , how far ahead did you fax/email? >>

I sent a fax three months in advance, and received a confirmation three weeks later.

Woody
Old Mar 14th, 2006, 12:39 PM
Neopolitan

Thanks for the "time" replies.

Here's a reason for being "adverse" to calling. With a fax or an email you have a printed "guarantee" of booking. I have made phone reservations for European hotels to get there and they seem to have lost it. Some have claimed they had no reservation when I arrived, but when I produced the paper email copy or fax, suddenly they found my reservation. Considering some of the stories I've heard of how the Scavi tours work, I'd much prefer a hard copy of my reservation in my hand.

Tom, I too am concerned about that warning NOT to send another email or fax if you don't hear. Glad to know you went ahead and did so without adverse results.

Old Mar 15th, 2006, 05:30 AM

There has been an ongoing thread on this Forum titled "How long does it take to receive a receipt for the Scavi tour after sending payment". It got somewhat off track (by me) requesting much the same info you are after ItalyLove.TODAY,after waiting since Jan 2...I finally received my reservation for May 13th. I had pretty much given up any hope. I would check out the responses in the above mentioned thread and gather some hope that it WILL happen.Good Luck
Old Mar 15th, 2006, 06:19 AM

I just returned from Rome two days ago and actually took the Scavi tour this past Saturday.

Originally, I e-mailed the Scavi office in December for a reservation in March. I did receive the automatic reply but nothing else afterwards. Therefore, when I first arrived in Rome I did not think I had a reservation; however, while visiting St. Peter's two days before the date I had wanted to take the Scavi tour I found the Scavi office (on the side of St. Peter's) and inquired as to openings. I had mentioned that I had sent a request previously in December but had received no definitive response. The gentleman in the office looked up my request by month of request and name and told me that I indeed did have a reservation on the day I requested and that they had sent me an e-mail stating this.

Bottom line: Do not assume you do NOT have a reservation if you receive no further response other than the automated one (they claim to accommodate almost all of the requests). I believe this since I gave them a very small window of availability while in Rome and I was easily accomodated.

My suggestion to you would be, if possible, to stop by their office when arriving in Rome and inquire as to the status of your request. By the way, the tour is well worth the extra effort!!! I hope this information helps and enjoy your trip!

Old Mar 15th, 2006, 07:07 AM

I just sent an email last night and did receive the automated email stating they received my request. I guess I should now just sit and wait until I receive a confirmation or when I get to Italy in May check with the office.

Do they get back to you if they DO NOT have availability for the date and times you requested? I hope so, since I could possibly change some things around to accomodate the tour. I'd hate to miss out on it.
Old Mar 15th, 2006, 08:22 AM
Neopolitan

I've never heard of anyone receiving an email specifically saying they couldn't be accomodated. I always assumed if you don't hear it means they can't take you.
Anyone want to prove me wrong on that? Has anyone ever received a "no go" email?