Scarf question for Italy

Jun 29th, 2005, 04:33 PM
Original Poster

Scarf question for Italy

I never worry about clothes in Italy, but this time, my 7th trip, I have a concern. I always take a pashmina to wear over sleeveless things, but I would like to take something lighter this time. I am going in August, and I have been there in August before and hate dealing with something hot to put over my shoulders. I bought a SHEER scarf/shawl to wear over my shoulders into churches. It will roll up into a tiny thing or tie on my shoulder bag that I carry. Does the fact that it is sheer matter? I have not ever thought about this, but is covered all that matters?
Jun 29th, 2005, 04:37 PM
claude315

Hi Marty,

I am an expert on scarves in Italy!!! My friends and I managed to buy a great pile of them between us!!

At the moment there are beautiful linen scarves everywhere, especially in Florence. Wide enough to drape around shoulders and COOL..

Jun 29th, 2005, 05:36 PM
Original Poster

Thanks. My "pashmina" that I always carry is one of those huge linen ones. I am just tired of dealing with the bulk of it. My new one is as big as a pashmina, but it is white and sheer like an evening wrap rather that a scarf. I have harped on my friends who are going with me so much about being covered, I don't want to be the one who is underdressed!!
Jun 29th, 2005, 05:44 PM

Hi Marty

IMO, for what it might be worth, being well and decorously draped in your lovely, large, sheer white shawl as you approach any church ought to be just fine.

I've seen European tourists get into Italian churches wearing garbage bags. Surely your large shawl will do the job. Relax, I think.
Jun 29th, 2005, 05:51 PM

Marty, my sixteen year old daughter left for Rome yesterday and I bought her a sheer (print) scarf to cover up her chest and make her modest while she toured the churches. The weather is boiling hot over there and she likes to wear camisoles and I didn't see the need to buy her an entire new "modest" wardrobe! Hence the scarf/shawl. I think it's a good solution and compromise.
Jun 29th, 2005, 05:52 PM

It is more of a philosophical thing rather than actual coverage.
Jun 30th, 2005, 05:29 AM
Original Poster

I guess that is what I wanted to know. I have always gone for coverage, but I wondered if it were more a philosophical idea. I seem to remember that what women used to use to cover their heads in Italian churches was sheer.
Jun 30th, 2005, 11:04 AM

Very true. When I was a child, a head covering was so broadly interpreted that a hairband or a bow was sufficient.
Jun 30th, 2005, 11:09 AM

From experience I can say that a sheer shawl/scarf will be respectful and be sufficient.

Remember that it's not just the shoulders, but shorts and skirts need to be at least to the knee. Not something Abercrombie is aware of, I'm afraid...

Tiff
Jun 30th, 2005, 11:11 AM

I am sorry Marty, I confused the fact that is was Mermaid that spoke of her daughter and not you.

Of course with this being your 7th trip to italy, I am sure you are already aware of the knee thing.

Happy journey, T.
Jun 30th, 2005, 11:16 AM

I take it the easiest way : the day I'm going to visit churches I wear a T-shirt and my jeans No way to be wrong !! I have to say Italians take it more seriously than we do here in Spain, in Florence Duomo there was a man on the door who stops people who were not "appropiately" dressed.
I haven't seen such a thing here
Jun 30th, 2005, 01:46 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for all of the help. I will be there in August, and while August in Venice is not August in North Carolina, I know it will be hot! I really don't have a lot of things with sleeves for the summer. I know to be covered, but I just wanted to be sure that sheer would work, instead of something more opaque and hotter to carry around! I am taking some people who have never been to Venice so I know we will go into churches every day. On one trip to Florence, I was waiting for some friends and forgot all about the sleeveless thing for a minute. I walked into San Croce and very quickly a priest reminded me that I needed to be covered. I was very embarrassed, since I knew better.
Jun 30th, 2005, 03:36 PM

ha, same thing happened to me at Santa Croce, but luckily I had a cardigan tied around my waist - duh.