clothes for Italy

Search

clothes for Italy

Search this Thread

Old May 23rd, 2004, 10:57 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
clothes for Italy

I am traveling to Italy in a couple of weeks for a vacation. I've been there before and last time was my first summer trip to Italy. It was much hotter than I had expected and my clothes were too covered up. This time I am thinking of taking just one pair of long black linen pants and one pair of black capris with tops that are cool enough for day and ok for dinner with a jacket over them. My question is whether capris are too casual for any place we would go, such as a church, or in a city. Are Italian women wearing them or would I look underdressed?
Old May 23rd, 2004, 11:07 AM

Please answer me this, hand on heart, do you think a city has a dresscode?

You could walk around in a fur coat (we won't speculate along the lines of an old expression) and not one person would care. If you don't speak Italian, nor have Italian looks and no Italian fluency, why pretend?

You won't look like a local, underdressed is a thong and nothing else, you might even get away with a Celine bikini, but I doubt your look would lend itself to that!

Wear skirts or trousers, what size are you? Skirts on larger women, UK14+ look awful on the whole, Italian women always look overdressed, I think underdressed is much more cool, best not to try too hard with anything!
Old May 23rd, 2004, 11:10 AM
Airlawgirl

Have you ever seen how Italian women dress when they're in Egypt, particularly Cairo? The idea being that when in a conservative Muslim country, the less clothes the better! More to the point, wearing Capris anywhere in Italy is perfectly acceptable (after all, they WERE named after an Italian island!) As for churches, you should be fine wearing capris as a tourist viewing the inside of a cathedral, for example, - but not if you're attending a church service.

Old May 23rd, 2004, 11:36 AM

What a coincidence that you pose this question. I am right in the middle of packing---we leave tomorrow. Since we are going to Bavaria first, I will probably need some warmer clothes. But the last time we were in Italy, it was sweltering (July before last). I am trying to pack as lightly as possible (one suitcase), but am trying also to cover all the possible temperature ranges! I am taking 2 pairs of long Chico's Travelers' pants, one midi skirt, wearing my black velour warm-ups on the plane, and taking one pair of black Capris. May weaken and throw in a pair of linen slacks. Hope this covers all the bases for 3 weeks.
Old May 23rd, 2004, 03:49 PM

i was concerned in april about my traveling companions in st. peter's in capris- it turned out that it was not a concern at all-and i think your choice in black is wise as well.
Old May 23rd, 2004, 07:16 PM

Last summer I wore Capri's in Italy for one month. I never saw any Italian's wearing them, but I do not care. I am leaving again in five days for one month and I am taking one pair of jean capri's, one pair each of black linen and tan linen capri's - Coldwater Creek, one pair of long dark jeans- Guess and some really nice tops in cotton and micro fiber. This year I am only taking two solid linen blouses, one black linen with white Jacket and still have not found the perfect sandals. I hate traveling with linen, but my MIL does all our laundry while we are there otherwise I would avoid it.
Old May 23rd, 2004, 07:39 PM

I am leaving for Italy on Thursday and I am taking black pants, lightweight khakis, tops to go with ranging from blouses to sleeveless with a sweater to go over for churches and a couple of sweater sets. I am taking a couple of complete other pants outfits and maybe one skirt. My main concern is I am only taking sandels, 4 pairs in fact (one pair I will be wearing) and I hope my feet survive ok. I was thinking of throwing in a pair of tennis shoes(white!!!!! ) and jeans. It is really hard to know what is best to take when you are going to a foreign country and you do want to look nice! So I empathize with all of you making these decisions! I am definitely taking a pair of socks to wear on the plane because I know my feet will get cold!!!
Old May 23rd, 2004, 07:56 PM

Dear Jet,

Why are you taking so many sandals? I am only taking one pair, plus my Ecco's walking shoes. Wear your heaviest clothes and shoes on the plane, which would include socks.
Old May 24th, 2004, 07:42 AM

Also taking one cashmere cardigan. MIL says Florence is a little chilly. The shoe thing is ALWAYS a struggle.
Old May 24th, 2004, 07:50 AM

I'm taking lot o' linen this trip. I was there last June and the heat was unbearable, but it looks a bit cooler this year. As for Capris, well, I have to agree with the "What Not to Wear" duo from the BBC TV series, who said on Oprah last week that you should only wear Capris if you have amazingly good legs. I think they look awful on most women, as do cropped pants. I just don't get why those styles endure.

Have fun on your trip!
Old May 24th, 2004, 08:35 AM

Here's my contribution:
http://margherita.net/moda/trends/index.shtml
This is a website (in italian) all about current fashion trends in Italy. Just click on the links under Estate 2004 (Summer 2004) and you'll see what's in this summer. Of particular interest might be the "Pantaloni per l'estate" link, which is all about summer pants (and they feature pictures of Capri pants).
Some of the stuff is high fashion (i.e. most people won't wear it), but most is pretty down to earth. Hope this helps everyone!
Old May 24th, 2004, 08:37 AM

What you all fail to realise, or at least put into words, is that the most important reason French/Italians look chic is that they have excellent figures and slim toned arms and legs. Those that aren't fashion conscious tend to be much fatter and live out of towns.
Old May 24th, 2004, 12:14 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
For jet 519 on 4 pair of sandals~~

I would definitely take at least one pair of closed shoes. If you travel like I do you'll be walking more than you can even imagine. It's nice to be able to slip on lightweight socks and comfortable shoes, not just sandals every day. Even the best of sandals, by virtue of being right against your skin/feet can wear blisters very quickly (learned the hard way) on a long hot day of walking.
Old May 24th, 2004, 12:35 PM
Blacktie

... ah, airwargirl, the capri pants - I'd forgotten all about them! Those are cropped, right?

And speaking of which, how was that weekend? Break any hearts?

Old May 24th, 2004, 12:42 PM

go naked.
Old May 24th, 2004, 12:44 PM
Blacktie

cropped or uncropped.

Old May 24th, 2004, 02:30 PM
Airlawgirl

Blacktie/Morningcoat! Where have you been? I thought you were still dancing with Kate at her hen party, drinking Cristal champagne, or were you helping some poor lost soul to name a new puppy?

p.s. cropped or uncropped...giggle!

Old May 24th, 2004, 02:52 PM

I agree with suze - DEFINITELY bring tennis shoes. I did and I'm grateful -I just got back from spending 3 weeks in Italy and all we did was walk -5 to 6 miles! My feet would never have made it in sandals. As for capris, I think that'll be fine. Just remember for most churches, you'll need to have your shoulders covered. Have fun!
Old May 24th, 2004, 05:50 PM
Airlawgirl

thank you and you're welcome, and this was a MOST amusing thread as well! go naked indeed!