lightweight mens underwear

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 30th, 2003, 07:02 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have seen dozens of messages here and other sites about lightweight undies for the ladies but if there has been a mention of men's I have missed it.
Cotton briefs and tees take forever to dry, even in a laundromat so I always end up packing enough for the entire trip. For anything over 4 days that darn near takes up an entire roll-on, even with compression bags. Any sources or hint guys or ladies who pack for their man??
Mike
Old Oct 30th, 2003, 07:08 PM

Boxers or jockies?
Tilly travel makes some jockies that are supposedly all cotton, and really don't seem any different than others. But you wash them out, roll or wring them in a towel, lay them out and in an hour or so they're totally dry. I still don't get why or how, but it really works. But they're not cheap. Something like $17 a pair.
Old Oct 30th, 2003, 07:38 PM

go without???
Old Oct 30th, 2003, 07:42 PM

Well, if anyone has any good suggestions, let me know. The guy I met and traveled with only had six pairs of cotton boxers. Backpackers can go quite a bit more than 6 days without doing laundry, so he wore them multiple days, dousing himself with baby powder to "keep fresh".

We got so comfortable around each other that in the end, he asked me to sniff his jocks and approve whether or not he could wear them again. Believe me, it was an experience I could have lived without!!!
Old Oct 30th, 2003, 07:43 PM

If you plan a trip to Italy, check out Sloggi for men. Their 100% cotton is sturdy yet very lightweight (mine easily dry overnight) and the fit is great. Also, Intimissimi has some great stretch-style boxers for men that work well under dress slacks for a smooth appearance. These dry quickly, too. Both fit American men, size XL, nicely, which is not easy to find in Italy.
Old Oct 30th, 2003, 08:42 PM

Try jockey.com. They actually sell a lot of men's underwear in different weights, but not all stores will carry them. I've bought from the site for DH, but before buying a certain style the first time, he does like to check out the selections in person; to do that, your best bet is a JockeyStore outlet; they are in a lot of larger outlet malls, especially Mills properties. DH likes the Dri-Y; one of those wickaway sports fabrics; it comes in a lot of styles.

If you like silk, there is a website called wintersilks.com that sells classic styles for men in silk knit, along with some of the trendier styles if you're into that. DH has a few of these, and he likes them, but they are $16 each, so not many; the stuff from Jockey is more affordable. You can wash this silk, though; by hand or in a machine, if you use cold water.

Land's End, Eddie Bauer and REI have silk long underwear for men.
Old Oct 31st, 2003, 02:48 AM
JonJon

I agree with the Lands End and REI ideas..the latter sells fast-drying underwear. Of course, if you're wiling to allow unnatural fibers to touch your skin then those will dry even faster. Good luck

Old Oct 31st, 2003, 04:11 AM
amelia

Do a search on Google for "men's travel briefs" and you'll see mentions not only of Tilly's but also Magellan's and other stores. I purchased these briefs and T-shirts for my husband, and they do dry faster than even the lightweight kind. The T-shirts also take up less room in the suitcase--seem to be much more packable.

FYI, we reduce the dry time of the T-shirts by packing blow-up hangers. I started out with "two per person" in the family packing--I'm now up to four in each suitcase. Part of that is due to our specific type of travel--we do many active trips with more sweaty clothes per diem than the average traveler would produce.

One poster in the past eschews blow-up hangers and uses balloons. We also use those stretchy clotheslines sold in travel stores almost every day of the trip.

Old Oct 31st, 2003, 04:32 AM

Magellan has great light weight, fast drying stuff. Worth the money.
Old Oct 31st, 2003, 04:42 AM

Bring you older pairs with you. Wear them and thow them out.
Old Oct 31st, 2003, 05:29 AM

I bought 4 pairs of quick-dry boxer-briefs called "Wickers" from the Sierra Trading Post website. They were about $12 a pair and very comfortable, and dried quickly in the hotel room. The four pairs got me through 15 days. One of these days I'll get my trip report posted!
Old Oct 31st, 2003, 05:59 AM

TravelSmith also carries quick-dry briefs. My husband says they're very confortable and they dry overnight. But, as some posters noted about other "travel" wear, they're not cheap.
Old Oct 31st, 2003, 06:58 AM

The Travelsmith coolmax men's underwear is comfortable and dries out in no time; same for their coolmax t-shirts. But it is pricey compared to non-travel wear.
Old Oct 31st, 2003, 07:12 AM

Contrary to a post made earlier, Tilley quick drying underwear is 100% polyester. It is comfortable and does quick dry. Any search engine will find the website.
Old Oct 31st, 2003, 07:35 AM

I'm adding this to my list of more err unusual questions on Fodors. By the way, should I tip the pilot?
Old Oct 31st, 2003, 10:32 AM

This guy I date went to Afghanistan for a month last year to do a documentary (he's a journalist), and he's always running off somewhere in horrible places, so he really needs to pack light and quickdrying underwear. I asked him what he was going to do in Kabul as there was not even good water and electricity for washing, and he mainly took stuff from REI that is for camping, backpacking, etc., I guess. It was not long underwear, but they have other stuff, regular briefs, also. He brought me back a burqa which I thought was sort of unusual, but you never know what guys are going to bring back as travel gifts. It must have been the one for tourists as it was quite fancy with gold threads.
Old Oct 31st, 2003, 10:38 AM
amelia

I didn't think this was an unusual post. Underwear is a fact of life--well, for most of us (will always think of Kramer on Seinfeld when he started going "free&quot.

A lot of us have done the "throw away the underwear thing." The downside is when the housekeeper returns it to you from the trash. Solution that time was to put the dirty pair in purse to throw in outside trash. Forgot. Ended up pulling it out when showing museum card at Louvre.

Old Oct 31st, 2003, 10:55 AM

Mike,
why not just wear the ladies' underwear?
Old Oct 31st, 2003, 11:39 AM

Jacko. What if Mike was in an accident and he had on ladies underwear???
Old Oct 31st, 2003, 05:22 PM

So what! why are all Europeans so uptight about the difference btwn mens/ladies underwear. I mean really, what's the difference?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -