Reload this Page >

Scandinavia in Winter

Search

Scandinavia in Winter

Search this Thread

Old Nov 10th, 2002, 01:30 PM
Stewart

Scandinavia in Winter

Hey guys -<BR><BR>I am planning to spend some time in Scandinavia this January, and would like any adive in general about the area, specifically the weather! Right now, I plan on the following: Copenhagen, Oslo, Norway in a Nutshell, Bergen, and possibly Stockholm. Any help would be greatly appreciated!<BR><BR>Stewart

Old Nov 12th, 2002, 09:46 AM
tjc

For Copenhagen, the weather can include snow(not usually); mostly cold, gray,gusty days. A Gore-Tex/microfiber type jacket works well. Be sure NOT to wear smooth soled shoes- those cobblestones can get slick.<BR> Access <BR>www.ctw.dk for info on one of my favorite cities.

Old Nov 12th, 2002, 10:32 AM
Snoopy

Yep, tjc has CPH pegged. In January you can expect the temp to hover around freezing, lots of gray skies and damp weather. Oslo will be considerably colder and will have a greater chance for snow.

Old Nov 13th, 2002, 04:20 AM
Bjorn

Stewart:<BR>January is a cold and dark month. Around the 60degree latitude (Oslo and Bergen), daylight will last for 6 hours in the beginning of the month, increasing to some 7-8 in the end.<BR>West of the mountains (Bergen and the fjords) rain must be expected, snow on the eastern side. The Oslo area has suffered with relatively little January snow for the last years, hence making the days look darker.<BR>January also often is misty.<BR>The &quot;nutshell&quot; runs all year, but because of reduced day light you probably should make more overnight stays than needed in summer. The ferry leg schedule also is less frequent, and the most scenic part (Stalheim curves) of the bus leg does not run in winter. Many lodging options also closed.<BR>Due to misty and gray weather, the fjord sights might be disappointing. If glimpses of bright skies, however, I reckon it will be a very very nice, mystic and dark yellow experience.<BR>If you could go in February, chances for brilliant winter days are much much higher. Feb comes with relatively much sunshine, and hence also with very cold nights. Do not get surprised if early morning temperatures are 15-20 Celsiuses below freezing point. Raising to plus or few minus degrees during the day.<BR>If you love outdoor life, nothing is nicer than utilizing the short daylight by doing cross-country skiing. Oslo is perfect in that way.<BR>Welcome to Norway.<BR>Bjorn, Oslo

Old Dec 11th, 2002, 01:33 PM
lesley

I am moving from N.Y. with my husband,14 year old son and 11 year old daughter december 28th.anyone have any winter fun ideas until school starts january 13th.My kids are miserable about the move so I want to try and get a smile. Thanks

Old Dec 11th, 2002, 03:19 PM
oldorch

stewart..<BR>it's cold...the air is very moist so the chill cuts through to the bone...fortunately there are many cafes to warm yourself...enjoy the weather it's part of the fun.

Old Dec 11th, 2002, 05:11 PM
bird

Don't forget to eat lots of Danish and drink lots of Aqvavit (sp?) - Danish Schnapps.

Old Dec 12th, 2002, 08:23 AM
helen

Lesley. Why travel to some winter resort type place in Norway or Sweden, even Oslo might do. Take the DFDS ferry.<BR>In Copenhagen you might visit some free ice-skating rinks around town. Kongens Nytorv is one in city centre among others.<BR>