Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

3 days in a scenic location up to 2-3 hours from Oslo, in January.

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 3rd, 2009, 03:15 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are a family of 2 adults and 2 teenagers and have the opportunity to include 4 nights/ 3 days in Norway as the last leg of our european trip before we go to Canada. We fly into Oslo late afternoon on 3rd January , and fly out again on 7th January mid morning so have limited time to go across to Bergen.
We would prefer to stay in one place and just enjoy the snow, scenery and a few walks etc , so I would welcome any suggestions of scenic, areas ,not too far from Olso where we could be based , probably in a self catering holiday house or cabin. I am aware of the websites for this accommodation, but do not know which location is best. We may ski, but are going to Canada for that afterwards, so it is not our main reason for visiting Noway.
I look forward to your suggestions.
many thanks
Graftongal
Old Jun 6th, 2009, 10:10 AM

Hmm, outdoor activities here in winter ? Skiing. And no one walks around in January. Which may be a bad month regarding weather. Suggest you stay in Oslo. Lillehammer, olympic site in -94 may offer other activities.
Old Jun 6th, 2009, 10:13 AM

I was going to recommend Lillehammer. However, we were there in June, not January.
Old Jun 10th, 2009, 02:09 AM
Original Poster

Thank you for your replies, No doubt we will ski! I have heard Nordseter is nice.
Is the winter park at Huderfossen very 'Disney' or would it be fun for teenagers 14 and 16 high ropes etc?
Old Jun 18th, 2009, 06:46 PM
Original Poster

Many thanks for your contributions.
I have now booked a beautiful traditional cabin at Nordseter with www.nordseter.no and will be able to ski, snow shoe, and enjoy the scenery.
Graftongal
Old Jun 18th, 2009, 07:16 PM

Hope the slopes are lit - really short days in mid-winter - Lillehammer is no doubt a great choice for your criteria.
Old Jun 23rd, 2009, 04:29 AM

ok you have booked and im glad youre pleased with your choice and hopefully being skiers you will totally enjoy the norwegian experience
but for others here...
we drove from flam to oslo along e6 and i found it ordinary compared to the beauty of the scenery of the fjord land round geiranger and sogne fjorden
yes we were totally spoilt up there and found that the scenery was less dramatic round that area between flam geilo and finally oslo
still wonderful if that is all you saw ..
geilo is definitely not for us in the summer..we were glad we stayed the extra night in flam ( three nights in all ) and enjoyed the magnificent aurland fjord every day from our waterside apartment...marina apartments that are owned by the same family who owns the heimly pensjonat there
Old Jun 23rd, 2009, 04:31 AM

lillehammer is a sweet sweet town..well set up for the ski season with lots of shops and cafes in the pedestrian area
it is pretty around the lake..took so many photos and the architecture is really nice too
a nice town
we stayed at the birkebirnen apartments
fabulous!
Old Jun 27th, 2009, 02:13 AM
Original Poster

Thank you to everyone who replied for all your advice.
Old Jun 28th, 2009, 04:03 AM

I've been to several Disney 'adventure' parks, however, some may call Norw. summer fun parks 'disneylike' , they are not to me.
Old Jun 30th, 2009, 11:36 AM

Beware that January can be extremely cold in Lillehammer, much colder than Oslo. But Lillehammer is a great choice for outdoor activities regardless of season. There will be lit slopes for slalom and tracks for cross country skiing. We Norwegians love our skiing - and do so after work - when it is dark so lighting is essential. And even if not every track will be lit, there will always be a "lysløype" nearby.