Santorini - which village to stay in?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 2nd, 2003, 05:56 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In Santorini, is it better to stay in Fira or Oia or Perissa?

What should I look out for when choosing the hotel location?

Any recommendations on affordable hotel? (50-60 Euro for 2 people)
Old Jul 2nd, 2003, 06:17 AM

www.greekislands.com or www.greekhotel.com
Old Jul 2nd, 2003, 07:01 AM
AllyPally

Oia if you want THE quintessential Santorini experience, Fira if you want something livelier. I only stayed for 1 night in Perissa. It was ok.

For 50-60 Euros, maybe you are looking at youth hostels? I stayed in the one in Fira, which was fine. There is one in Oia too.

Old Jul 2nd, 2003, 07:13 AM
brotherleelove2003

Oia for atmosphere

Fira for shopping and convenience

Perissa for the beach, although Kamari is better.

Old Jul 2nd, 2003, 12:07 PM

Firostephani -- quiet location, yet close enough to town to walk there. I recommend Sun Rocks Villas.
Old Jul 2nd, 2003, 12:58 PM

When are you going?... We went in March. Oia wasn't an option - absolutely everything was closed!
Old Jul 2nd, 2003, 03:22 PM

In the June issue of Travel Holiday The review three Santorini hotels the Sun Rocks Hotel Aethrio and Chromata www.travelholiday.com
Old Jul 2nd, 2003, 04:43 PM
Original Poster

Italiano, I searched http://www.travelholiday.com/default.asp?section_id=11 for this and also went to "Great Trip" and "In the New Issue" but didn't find this article on Santorini hotel.

Can you paste the link?

Thanks
Old Jul 2nd, 2003, 06:57 PM
ed

We stayed in Kamari in the Venus & Aphrodite. There were several other Hotels in the town. We could take the local bus inmto Fira and on to Oia.

We were glad that we were in Kamari because it didn't seem as crowded.

The bus ride was a thrill!!!
Old Jul 2nd, 2003, 11:56 PM

Sorry kittycatangle I guess The article is Not avalible on line yet in the current issue of the Magazine Titled TRAVEL HOLIDAY Best Hidden Beaches!they have the Santorin article .
Old Jul 3rd, 2003, 04:11 AM

We are going to Santorini in July and before finally booking one hotel we were quoted from these hotels rates in your range: Stelios Place (Perissa), Thea Studios (Oia), Anemomilos Hotel, Memories Beach Hotel (Kamari), Mathios (Akrotiri) - very nice people and they have all sorts of accommodation available, Casa Francesca (Oia).

As for us, we decided for Oia over other villages.

Have fun !
Old Jul 6th, 2003, 07:58 PM
JWH

Oia is heaven. We got back a couple of weeks ago and are still dreaming about it. The pool at Perivolas is one of the most beautiful and relaxing places I have ever been to. That hotel (Perivolas) was our one splurge on the trip...worth every penny.
Old Jul 7th, 2003, 09:56 AM

hello everyone,

we will be staying at sun rocks in firostefani in september for our honeymoon and up until these recent posts i have had a hard time finding feedback on sun rocks villas in particular. since we are really splurging on our accomodations i was really looking for some reasurance
so that i would feel better about the choices i have made.
we will also be in naxos and are still toying between hotel grotta, villa marandi or kavos.
any suggestions or comments are very welcome and appreciated. cheers!!
Old Jul 7th, 2003, 01:36 PM

the review from travel holiday mag says The Sun rocks is probably the most traditionally greek -not just in terms of style but in warmth of welcome .They say the breakfast is very good. Also say try to get room #6 it has vaulted ceilings a sitting room and a huge bath all rooms have iron beds draped in mosquito netting,with hand printed spreads. Earth colored tile floors lace curtains , hot water was limited . avoid room #12 room is under the swimming area noisy and cramped .all rooms have mini kitchenettes .
Old Jul 9th, 2003, 12:04 PM

Portuguy -- I recommend room #31 at Sun Rocks. It's a large room (suite, really) with a kitchenette, and huge terrace. We were there several years ago, but then we had excellent service. We arrived in the evening and did not want to go into town to an ATM for drachmas. They lent us money for dinner which we returned the next day. We couldn't have been happier with our stay at Sun Rocks.

By the way, I got a postcard from Travel Holiday yesterday. Seems they are no longer putting out this magazine, and they offered me Time magazine until the end of my subscription.
Old Jul 10th, 2003, 09:21 AM

thank you for your affirmations and responses. it leaves me much more relieved with my decisions. it is our honeymoon after all and i would like it to be as memorable as can be; which i know does not come down to the place but the splurge on the accomodations was a big one so knowing that others have been extremely satisfied with their stay at Sun Rocks is very nice to hear.

Any suggestions on best places in Naxos?
Thank you once again.
Nuno
Old Jul 10th, 2003, 10:32 AM

Italiano - What did they say in the article about Chromata? We will be staying there this September.