Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Santorini: Should I stay in Ia (Oia) or Fira?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 22nd, 2006, 11:10 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am going there in mid-September and wondering if it really matters which one I would book a hotel at. Any recommendations for either, and good places to stay?

Marinos
Old Jun 23rd, 2006, 12:48 AM

Marinos - I think it depends what you want.

Both have great caldera views - and they're only 45 mins bus-ride apart as I recall ...

Some people prefer Oia for its setting, tranquility and sunset views - but for me it would be too quiet, so my choice would be Fira.

Steve
Old Jun 23rd, 2006, 01:27 AM

I just returned, and it was my second time to Santorini. Fira is much more busy and has a lot more of the "tacky" tourism. But, if you want nightlife at your doorstep it would be your choice.

Oia is more calm and beautiful. There are a lot of couples, but I traveled with a friend and there were other groups of people like that.

I stayed at Esperas, the service was excellent and the view to die for.
Old Jun 23rd, 2006, 03:56 AM

bookmarking
Old Jun 23rd, 2006, 05:24 AM

Fira.Just hop on the bus to Oia.
Old Jun 23rd, 2006, 05:28 AM

oia!

We went over to fira to do nightlife, but we so happy when we got back to oia. A great experience.

We stayed at Kirini( formerly known as Katikies Suites). The views, oh my1

Restaurants in Oia are delightful, don't miss katinas down at the seafront.

anyway, it will be depend on your interests, we much preferred Oia, but to each his own!!

Old Jun 29th, 2006, 06:57 AM

We stayed in Oia at the VIP SUites. WHile I do recommend the views in Oia, don't stay anywhere near the VIP suites, or at any of the hotels that Ecorama holidays runs. We had a horrible experience with them..
Old Jun 29th, 2006, 07:11 AM

Skittles, would you please write a trip report about your experience and let us know what happened with Ecorama?
Old Jun 29th, 2006, 07:12 AM
AllyPally

Another vote for Oia and Esperas! Oia simply has a magic atmosphere and enough nightlife to keep me happy (although I'm a bit of quiet cocktail kind of girl rather than into clubbing). I am booked to stay at Esperas in August and cannot wait. Katinas taverna is indeed a really fun place to eat - really busy, really basic but tasty food freshly cooked and served without fanfare (all nationalities munch there after a day playing in the water). To get down to the water from Oia, you either take the road down (bike, car, taxi - long way round on foot) but the best way on foot is by the zig-zag stairs. The stairs are long and high. You can opt for donkey but if you're feeling fit, you can walk. it's a long walk and hard in the sun. But here's a tip: if you stay at Esperas, there is a path right at the bottom of the hotel which will take you to the zig-zag stairs (and also past an abandoned church). This will cut your time down to the water and all those lovely tavernas in half!

I have to admit that I haven't stayed anywhere else in Santorini so I am totally biased. You can't see the caldera from Esperas (i.e. the volcano) but there are plenty of hotels where you can. If I couldn't stay at Esperas, I always liked the look of this place: http://www.countryhouse.gr/home.htm

Best wishes,
AP