london taxi pricing

Jul 7th, 2003, 08:19 AM
Original Poster

london taxi pricing

Do London taxis charge extra for extra (more than one) passenger? I'm attending a conference at the University in Roehampton next week. I've been told that a cab from Heathrow to the campus costs 25 pounds, which seems reasonable given the convenience. BUT I'm with my three children. I don't want any surprises (exorbitant additional passenger fees and/or luggage fees) once I've committed to a cab. We also have directions for taking the train, which will involve a mid-town train change and over an hour of traveling, but is far cheaper. Thanks!
Jul 7th, 2003, 01:26 PM

There is no charge for extra passengers or luggage in private hire taxis (black London Cabs). They have a set tarif and extra charges laid out at http://www.tfl.gov.uk/pco/taxi_fares.shtml
Jul 7th, 2003, 03:02 PM
Original Poster

Thank you so much for this information! Cab it is.
Jul 8th, 2003, 04:16 AM

Hi, was the £25 a black cab cost or a mini cab? I don't know Roehampomton at all, but generally it would be cheaper to ask your hotel in Roehampton to give you the name of a local cab firm.

Then all you do is ring them, give your flight number, time of arrival and they'll stand in arrivals with a card with your name on it and bring you to your destination. They'll charge a lot less than a black cab that you'll hail from Heathrow. Usually they charge the standard fare + whatever they paid when they parked - a few £s more usually.
This is a better deal because it's a standard cost even if you get stuck in traffic.
Jul 8th, 2003, 11:56 AM

You will be charged extra for your luggage IF its put in the front seat with driver - which of course they will try and do.
Jul 10th, 2003, 10:47 AM
Original Poster

Thank you so much for your responses, "discussion" and "cruiseryyc." I don't know if the price is for a black or a mini-cab--the conference organizer (who is here in the states, so I strongly suspect that her information is second- or third-hand). We'll be staying in dorms at the university, but I will see if I can find a local cab company by another means--great idea!

Search this Thread