Reload this Page >

Santorini in October - Weather - Romantic and Economical Hotel

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 12th, 2002, 06:58 AM
Autumn

Can I swim in Santorini in October? Anyone been there in Oct. and know what the weather is like. I know it is off season.<BR><BR>Also what is the most romantic but least costly hotel we could find in Oia. I've been looking at websites... but the rate for the same hotel on the same date varies greatly. I thought one of you might be able to give me some concrete info. Thank you!

Old Dec 12th, 2002, 09:39 AM
Tina

We went to Santorini just this past October and the weather really varied. We wore shorts each day and jackets/sweaters in the evening. We did go in the water but it wasn't warm and we were about the only ones in the water. But the manager of Astra Apts said the weather then was unusual. Wish I could help more

Old Dec 13th, 2002, 04:18 AM
Nick

The high winds for the Cyclade islands (of which Santorini is part) after mid Sept are fairly notorious according to Greek friends and can make getting there not so fun as well as being there.<BR>May be a bit too dead as well?

Old Dec 13th, 2002, 06:15 AM
Heather

Autumn, I was in Santorini this Sept. 28-30 and had two very different days at the beach. On the 29th, it was sunny, hot, the cafes were all open by the beaches, and we swam (plenty warm enough). On the 30th, we returned to the beach and the skies clouded up, the temperature significantly dropped, and most of the shops/cafes closed (literally overnight) for the season. By the time we left on Oct. 1, many of the places in Fira were closed/closing as well.<BR><BR>Sorry, but no suggestions on hotels in Oia, as we stayed in a great little place on the outskirts of Fira.<BR><BR>Have a wonderful visit ... the island is very beautiful!

Old Dec 16th, 2002, 02:40 PM
tony

the most romantic place in Oia is the hotel call Perivolas; go online at greekhotels.com and can get a spectacular view of the hotel. Perivolas is a piece of heavan on Earth;<BR>we stayed there on our honeymoon. Indeed, I am Greek and did a thorough search of the major hotels on Santorini.<BR>Another beautiful place to stay is a little village further down the cost<BR>called Imerigovili. The name of the villas there is Heliotopos and also a <BR>spectacular place and view. Both establishments I have mentioned offer appropriate rates and impeccable, friendly service. Enjoy one of the most<BR>beautiful islands in Greece and especially go the Kastro bar at the most<BR>northern tip of Oia and watch the sunset; truly a gift from the Gods.

Old Apr 24th, 2003, 07:08 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
We went to Santorini and stayed in Oia for a week in early October. After Oct 1, it is definitely the &quot;off season&quot; and out hotel closed when we left on Oct 15. A lot of the hotels were already closed and the town was very quiet. However, we did encounter a very famous rock star, so obviously others enjoy that time fo the year there also. The days were hot, went to the beaches, water was cold, but my fiancee went in. We stayed at the Hotel Alta Mare, room was huge, very clean, nice bathroom, incredible view of the caldera from our terrace, and was around $40-45 USD/night. We even had a little kitchen area and coooked breakfast. The oweners were delightful! If you pay cash, you can work a &quot;special deal&quot; and try a few Greek words-they really appreciate it. It is located in Oia and we had a wonderful time. However, arrive in the daytime, we had a difficult time finding it initially. Get good directions.
Old Apr 24th, 2003, 10:17 AM
brotherleelove2003

Swimming in October is going to be cold. The water is cooled by the winds, which start to blow in late September.

There are many choices in Oia now, it's difficult to recommend only one. I assume you want a view of the caldera so I will recommend Perivolas, it's great. But there's also the Atlantis Villas and others. If a caldera view isn't a priority, I recommend the Laokasti Villas.

You can also try to contact Markos Karvounis at Karvounis Tours in Oia for some assistance and current rates. He knows everything that's going on in Oia. 30 02860 71290 &amp; 71209, or his mobile: 30 09446 22333. [email protected]