Shannon to London - both in 10 days

Apr 22nd, 2003, 08:06 PM
Original Poster

Shannon to London - both in 10 days

My 2 adult children and I are planning our first European vacation. A 10 day trip to Western Ireland & hopefully London. We are flying in/out of Shannon airport.
What's the best way to sightsee? Drive myself (I'm nervous) or find a chauffeur. What's the best way to spend a few days in London-Ryanair? Ferry? Any help is appreciated thanks.
Apr 23rd, 2003, 08:59 AM

Taking the ferry is not a good idea if your time is limited. You can fly pretty cheaply between Shannon and London.

Many people will tell you it's very easy to drive on the left while shifting on the right, but for some people it's very stressful. The best solution is to rent an automatic. They are more expensive, but the piece of mind is worth it if you're nervous. Are your children nervous about driving on the left as well?

But maybe someone else can suggest companies that supply drivers.
Apr 23rd, 2003, 08:59 AM

Need to clarify--my comments on driving all apply to Ireland. You do not need, nor will you want, a car in London.
Apr 24th, 2003, 07:41 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, I will book a flight to London and take public transport while there.
My kids are 22 and 24 yrs. old. I heard that you had to be 25 to drive a rental car. Thanks again!
Rory
Apr 24th, 2003, 11:31 AM

I was able to rent cars in Ireland before I was 25. That was almost 10 years ago, unfortunately, so I'd check with a few of the companies first.