Reload this Page >

San Remo and Portofino restaurants and shops

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 26th, 2002, 02:30 PM
cherie

We'll be in Liguria for 9 days in July. We've never been to this part of Italy. We plan to stay 3 nights in Santa Margherita Ligure at Imperiale Palace and 4 nights at Royal in San Remo. Any suggestions for restaurants, shopping and sights to see would be appreciated. We won't have a car - we're traveling by train.<BR>

Old Mar 26th, 2002, 07:51 PM
Kay

We enjoyed just sitting at the harbor in Portofino, eating olives, drinking beer and watching the world around us. Oh, I spent a fortune on table cloths for my daughter. I found some very nice linens there. It is great to see the CT by boat if you can.

Old Mar 26th, 2002, 08:08 PM
Diane

It's been years since we were there, but we had two wonderful dinners at Da Baicin in Santa Margherita. It's not fancy, but the sauce on my pasta was so good I wanted to lick the plate. As I remember it was ravioli with nut sauce; in reality, not at all what it sounds like.

Old Mar 26th, 2002, 08:33 PM
Diane

I did a search for Da Baicin on Google. Didn't find one for the restaurant, but found their address: via Algeria, 9. Also found a link to Rick Steves' website and a thread about Italian restaurants. A poster mentioned this restaurant and even mentioned the wonderful ravioli with walnut sauce. It's worth a try.<BR>

Old Mar 28th, 2002, 05:49 AM
Cherie

Diane - Thanks for the name of the restaurant We will definitely look for it

Old Mar 28th, 2002, 05:54 AM
David

Look for a restaurant called Il Faro in Santa Margherita, not fancy but also plate-licking good!<BR><BR>Is your itinerary set? 4 nights in San Remo sounds like a lot, unless you're planning on using it as a base to explore other places OR you just want to spend a few days hanging out at the beach and the pool.

Old Mar 28th, 2002, 05:56 AM
Dayle

Hi Cherie! We also really enjoyed a long lunch with lots of wine & sunshine in Portofino. Go early in the morning so you can see it before all the cruise/tour groups get there.<BR><BR>We also had dinner one night at La Cambusa, a restaurant facing the marina. It was very good & had a wonderful atmosphere.<BR><BR>Buon viaggio!

Old May 9th, 2002, 07:47 AM
mouse

Old May 9th, 2002, 08:09 AM
StCirq

We stayed at the Royal in San Remo a couple of years ago. I would also submit that 4 nights in this town might be excessive. We felt we'd seen every nook and cranny of it after one full day there. We spent the second day driving up into the hills above, but there was little to admire there except for the scenery. <BR>As I recall, there weren't very many restaurants in town, and they were hard to locate. The layout of the town is odd, such that we didn't even realize there was a good-sized section of it on the sea side of the railroad tracks. Once we located that area, there were a few more restaurant options. All the food we had was good, none of it exceptionalenough to get mention in my trip notes. The Royal itself was a bit of a mixed bag. On the one hand we had a stunning corner bedroom, with a full L-shaped balcony with the Med straight ahead and the mountains out the left side. The bathroom was big enough to bowl in. The hotel grounds could have used some TLC, though - from the outside it gave the impression of being slightly untended and run down, and given the prices of the rooms, I thought they should hire a better groundskeeper. Having breakfast on the terrace was incredibly delightful, and my kids couldn't get enough of the salt water pool with fountains and bridges, etc. We didn't eat at the hotel itself except for breakfast, but I do recall that the menu looked enticing.

Old May 9th, 2002, 06:43 PM
Lois

Just returned from SML, rained every day but still beautiful. Definitely Biacin for food, simple but some of my fave meals(was there 6 days). Yes to La Cambusa, pricier but quite good. Avoid the pizza in any of the places lining the waterfront,some of the poorest pizza I've ever had. Best to try the local "take- Outs" in the towns. Great follinata etc.Supposed to be good fish restaurant along pier, can't remember name but ask local people. Try to get into Camolgi & Portofino..Easily accessible by train or bus. Enjoy<BR>

Old May 10th, 2002, 05:44 AM
MC

Dear Lois, can you comment more about what to do, where to eat in Camogli ?<BR>thanks