San Gimignano or Siena

Search

San Gimignano or Siena

Search this Thread

Old Aug 29th, 2004, 12:03 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
San Gimignano or Siena

We(family of 4 with two teenagers) are travelling on our first trip to Italy. I would like to spend one week in Tuscany to see the country-side but would like to have easy access to an interesting town to shop, etc. My thoughts were outside San Gimignano or Siena. We will have a car. I would appreciate suggestions.
Old Aug 29th, 2004, 12:41 PM

We just got back from a family trip ( two teens, ages 13 and 16) that included San Gimignano and Siena. My kids were bored to death in Siena, but really loved San Gimignano.

We stayed at Santa Chiara, which is only a five-minute walk from town, so we had easy access back and forth. I would recommend the hotel for any season EXCEPT the summer, when, " due to a local ordinance" (??) air conditioning is turned off from 11 PM-7PM.

We were also in: Radda, Greve, and Florence, so if I can help further, just post again.

Good luck!
Old Aug 29th, 2004, 01:40 PM

I watched a documentry on San Gimignano last night. I have never been there but it is now defiitely on my must see list. It looked like somewhere I would take my teenagers.
Old Aug 29th, 2004, 01:44 PM

I loved San Gimi (and so did my two teenage daughters) but there is more to do in Siena. For a whole week I'd probably pick Siena but definitly spend some time in San Gimi.
Old Aug 29th, 2004, 02:19 PM

I liked Siena much better than San Gim. It's a vibrant university city with lots to see and do.
Old Aug 29th, 2004, 02:22 PM
ira

Hi OK,

The distance between the two is not that great. I suggest that you find a place that you like irrespective of to which town it is closer.

Old Aug 29th, 2004, 06:37 PM

I just read your message again, much more carefully. As I mentioned, we based in Radda, which is lovely countryside, about 1 hour from Florence, 45 minutes from Siena, and just under 2 hours from San Gimignano. Since you'll have a car, this area might work well for you. There isn't much of a town per se, but that is true of many towns in the countryside.

Good luck!
Old Aug 29th, 2004, 06:39 PM

Sorry-- jetlag has set in! I meant to write that we ALSO based in Radda for 4 days after staying in San Gimignano.
Old Aug 29th, 2004, 07:58 PM

Siena would be very central,,and a larger town with more for teenagers. San G.,...we only had a day trip...but others have said they would not stay there for it it SO VERY touristy...tour busses every day and groups of people abounding. I suppose in the evenings it is nice. Siena is very exciting...they have a wonderful outdoor market on WEdnesdays, MANY things to see, and do, and the set up of the central Pailo square, and lots of walking streets etc is lovely. WE spent 2 weeks in Siena.....very NICE, and made trips to wonderful Pienze, San G., Montelcino?, Greve- in- Chiati etc.
Old Aug 30th, 2004, 07:07 AM

Stayed at the Park Hotel Siena with my family about 5 years ago. At the time I was in my late 20s and my siblings were younger. We used it as our main base and took day trips to Florence, Venice (by train), San Gim and many other hill towns. It was great and very easy to do. Good restaurants and nightlife for the us when we wanted it...bar/disco in the castle walls. Would highly suggest it!
Old Aug 30th, 2004, 07:19 AM

We stayed at the Santa Chiara in San Gimignano. The hotel is lovely with great views and a nice pool if you will be there during warm weather. I preferred San Gimignano to Siena in the evenings when all of the tourist buses have left. They are about 30 minutes drive apart so visits to Siena are easy.
Old Aug 30th, 2004, 09:17 AM
Original Poster

Thank you for the feedback, all very helpful. Sounds like there is more variety in Siena ? Can you take a car into San Gimi ? Is that much problem in Siena ? Does public transportation run at night so that we can go into town for dinner ? Thanks.
Old Aug 30th, 2004, 09:51 AM

San G all the way... I have a list of the locals who rent rooms that would make it less expensive. There are walking tours, wine tours, a nice supermarket near the outskirts of the town for cheap eats.. and the countryside is to die for!!!
Old Aug 30th, 2004, 11:34 AM

I personally found SanG to be a tourist trap and thought Siena was great.

I don't have kids though.
Old Aug 30th, 2004, 11:44 AM

I just love these divergent opinions. To me it is moot. Both are worth your time and they are only :40 apart. It may not matter where you stay with a car. Look at the Castel Bigozzi which is halfway between and very nice for a family.
Old Aug 30th, 2004, 11:56 AM

okosi2002,
Siena is a bigger town with much to see and do. Find a place you like right outside the walls (with parking) so you can walk in every night after touring the countryside during the day. My kids loved Siena (it is a college town). Feel free to e-mail me for more information.