Day trip to Siena and San Gimignano

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 11th, 2005, 07:43 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We have rented a car and was wondering whether it was possible to do a day trip to Siena and San Gimignano in 1 day?
Old Mar 11th, 2005, 08:32 PM

From where?
Old Mar 11th, 2005, 09:37 PM
Original Poster

Sorry, from South Florence
Old Mar 11th, 2005, 10:03 PM

Yes, but IMO you will be shortchanging Siena.

I would visit Siena first, myself, because there is much that can only be seen during the day. I'd try to get to San Gimignano mid to late afternoon. The town is lovely in the evening when many of the tourists have left.

It's about an hour by car from Florence to Siena, and maybe a bit more from Siena to San Gimignano.
Old Mar 12th, 2005, 06:02 AM

I agree wholeheartedly with Marilyn.
Old Mar 12th, 2005, 11:24 AM
Original Poster

Thx, Marilyn and Chocobon. What do you think of these plans?

Planning to leave early in the morning and take the S222 down to Castellina in Chianti possibly stopping at Strada in Chianti and Greve.

Depending on where we are, we will go onto Siena for lunch. Spend the afternoon in Siena and then reach San Gimignano late afternoon.

If we feel too rushed, we will stop at Castellina for lunch skip Siena and head towards Volterra and San Gimignano on the S429.
Old Mar 12th, 2005, 11:55 AM

So now you are adding Chianti country into this already crowded day?

Again, it's do-able if you just want a glimpse of each place. Siena is a fairly large town compared to San Gim and the rest. There is a cathedral and "city hall" (Palazzo Pubblico) worth seeing, among other things. Driving from Florence through Chianti country will take you out of the way a bit from Siena and add an extra hour to your drive, I should think. (The roads are country roads, 2 lane, somewhat winding.)

And what's all this about Volterra? One of my favorite towns, and worth a few hours on its own, more if you want to see one of the best Etruscan museums around.

It really depends on what you want to do in each town, and what sorts of things you enjoy. You can always play it by ear -- if you are enjoying yourself, who cares if you don't get to all the places you planned on?
Old Mar 12th, 2005, 11:58 AM

I didn't find San G to be worth the trip. On the other hand, I could spend forever in Siena.
Old Mar 12th, 2005, 01:55 PM

I think you should pick two destinations, with lunch inbetween, and leave it at that. Otherwise you'll be rushing through your day without any time to savor what you're seeing ( and eating!). Hopefully, you'll get back to Italy another time.

By the way, I disagree with the last poster. I'll probably catch flak for this, but I didn't care for Siena at all, and much preferred San Gimignano,even in the middle of the day.

Anyway, have a great trip!
Old Mar 12th, 2005, 02:14 PM

Me, I never met an Italian hill town I didn't love, but Siena is one of my favorites.
Old Mar 12th, 2005, 04:17 PM
Original Poster

Thank you all for your helpful input.
Old Mar 12th, 2005, 06:17 PM

Marilyn,

Then tell me what you loved about Lucca-- please! So many people rave about it, and I found nothing that would ever make me want to go back. HELP!
Old Mar 12th, 2005, 07:32 PM

Sorry, Weadles, but I haven't been to Lucca! I'm well traveled in central and southern Tuscany, but not so much northern Tuscany. Next time...
Old Mar 13th, 2005, 08:13 AM
pg

Shawncarr,
We had rented a car from Florence (10 days ago) and over the next 2 days drove to:
Day 1 - Pisa (tower only), Carrara (marble), overnight in Lucca
Day 2 - After seeing San Martino in Lucca, drove to San G and took the S222 thru Chianti to reach Siena in the evening.
IMHO, Lucca seemed just an OK town, though many people love it. San G is great for 2 hours or so for photo ops (like Pisa; also give some credit to the fact that most people day-trip). Besides the towers of San G, there is nothing much more (the Collegiata would look quite pedestrian if you have already done Floence well).

On the other hand Siena was every bit its worth for a day and more.

Here is my suggestion for whatever it is worth:
- Leave Florence by 9a for San G (1 hour). 1-2 hours at San G, and then take the S222 to get to Siena by 2pm. Once there, check out the Duomo first thing (closes at 5pm), and spend the rest of the time in Il Campo people watching or strolling. If you can spare the the 1st part of the next day in Siena, then you can plan more time in San G/ Chianti, otherwise Chianti would strictly be a drive-thru.

Alternatively, the simpler plan could be to train to Siena, see Siena and train back.
Old Mar 13th, 2005, 08:24 AM

When are you going? We have managed to be in Sienna for the Palio twice and found it thrilling. You probably are all set for a place to stay in Florence but if not we stayed outside of Florence in Fiesole at Hotel Bencista (spelling a bit phonetic) and really loved it. we would take the bus into Florence and use the car for other excursions. Wonderful roman ruins. enjoy!
Old Mar 13th, 2005, 09:35 AM

I think you've got to think about what it is you want to see. Trying to add a couple of hill towns or Chiani to a day in Siena just is TOO MUCH. If you're more interested in charming and small, then forget Siena. We headed to Siena with good directions for a great place to park, and got there just as the lot was filled, but got blocked in by a line of cars behind us -- there we sat for nearly an hour waiting for someone either in front or behind us to move so we could go anywhere. Arriving, parking, and getting about in Siena means you really should have the better part of a day to even get a "taste" of it. I agree with the earlier view that you could spend the bulk of the day there then head to San Gimignano (or one of the Chiantis) for late afternoon to get a feel for that. But any more than that in one day WITH Siena is just too much. On the other hand we've gone out by car and hit three or four smaller hill towns in a day and been fully satisified with what we experienced.
Old Mar 13th, 2005, 12:53 PM

Patrick, a most unfortunate way to begin your visit to Siena! But in all fairness, I must say we've never had a problem parking in one of the lots that's a 10-minute walk to Il Campo. And this has been in late May, early June, and mid-July -- all peak season. So I think you just had a bit of bad luck.
Old Mar 13th, 2005, 08:48 PM

Shawncarr, I guess you've got the message! Don't try and crowd too much into this one! Siena is packed full and a couple of hours in San G is all you'll need. The top of a tower provides super photo ops. We had no difficulty in Nov. with the parking lot in San G, but had an unexpected cloudburst and had to run to get back to the car and were soaked by the time we got there.
Old Mar 18th, 2005, 01:24 AM

include volterra. we loved san g
Old Mar 18th, 2005, 04:03 AM
ira

Hi shawn,

Are you renting a car solely for this one day?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -