Salzkammergut in October

Jun 23rd, 2006, 06:21 AM
Original Poster

Salzkammergut in October

Hi,

My husband and I are planning on being in the Salzburg/Salzkammergut region from October 5 to 10 this year. However, I read in Fodor's Austria that the fall is the worst time to visit this area because it is rainy.

Has anyone visited during this time and what was the experience like? Should there still be some good weather since it is early in October?
Jun 23rd, 2006, 05:38 PM

Hi,
We've been to Salzburg 3 times always mid Oct. (most recent Oct. '03) and have had not 1 day of rain. Actually, we've travelled to Bavaria/Austria a total of 4 times, always in Oct., and loved the weather! We were in Austria and the Dolomite region of Italy last April. It either rained or was overcast most of our 2 weeks. We'll stick with going in Oct. from now on. Don't worry.

paul
Jun 23rd, 2006, 05:45 PM

We were in Salzburg in May and had exactly the type of weather you fear--rainy and cool--sometimes cold--the hotel had to turn the heat back on. As an afterthought, I tossed my winter downfilled 3/4 length coat in my suitcase and I ended up wearing it almost every day. The foothills around Zell am See had fresh snowfall.
But the rain didn't keep us from most activities. It didn't rain ALL day (although it did rain every day). The area still looked beautiful. We were still able to sightsee and enjoy ourselves and the sun did peek out from time to time.
I have been in central and southern Germany at that time of year and the weather was simply glorious, much better than the weather we had in May. So I wouldn't worry about it. Even if it is cool and rainy, you should still be able to enjoy the area.
Jun 23rd, 2006, 06:21 PM

I hve spent much time in the region, during all seasons. Late September/early October is my favorite time. The last German school vacations are over, you can stay nearly everywhere without an advance reservation and the weather, while cool in the evenings, usually is very pleasant and clear.
Jun 25th, 2006, 03:21 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the responses. I'm feeling better about the weather.

Do you think it is required to bring a jacket? My husband likes to pack very light and he's saying "no" but I'm thinking "yes".

What is the temperature generally like that time of year?
Jun 25th, 2006, 04:26 AM
JN

Tell your husband to bring a jacket. If you wear it on the plane, you'll be travelling just as light and have the clothing you need for inclement weather and cool nights/days. Not bringing a jacket to save one pound is almost as smart as not bringing shoes.
Jun 26th, 2006, 05:59 AM
JN

Here is a good site for finding Austria weather info:
http://www.weatherbase.com/weather/c...p3?c=AT&refer=

Average October high in Salzburg is 57F and low is 41. Bring a jacket.
Jun 26th, 2006, 06:12 AM
Original Poster

Thanks JN! I showed him your post and I think you've convinced him!
Jun 26th, 2006, 09:08 AM
JN

Good--he won't regret it. Have a great trip.