October Weather in Piemonte

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 24th, 2006, 04:51 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It is safe to assume that the tempertures etc. in the small towns, Canelli, Alba, Barbaresco, are pretty much the same as Torino this time of the year?
Thanks
Old Sep 25th, 2006, 04:27 AM

Piemonte is a large region. There are several microclimates in various regions. The more south easterly part of the region is influenced at times by the Ligurian weather systems (Canelli, Nizza, Gavi, Acqui Terme, Ceva). In Acqui I pay more attention to what is happening in Genoa than I do to what the weather is in Torino. In Torino, the Alps play a large part in the general weather conditions, and it tends to be a few degrees cooler than here, as well as a bit wetter.

However, suffice it to say that the weather in October in Piedmont is not predictable. It can be golden and beautiful. It can be horrendous with rain and winds. It is one of the months which we cannot really predict or even estimate with any confidence. Last year the first two weeks were lovely, the second two were fog-riddled and wet.

Old Sep 25th, 2006, 02:47 PM
Original Poster

Grazie. I will bring rain gear!
Old Sep 25th, 2006, 09:29 PM

Echoing Lady Di I would say yes and no; yes because its generally the same, no because as she says we have many small microclimates here, it can be pouring with rain at my place and nothing 10 km away. The weather in October is definitely autumn, as opposed to September which is often like your Indian summers) it's starting to get cooler, some warm days of course (I have sunbathed in October), expect some rain and temperatures around 60-70 F in the day time, occasionally warmer and down to around 50 or a bit less in the nights.

This year feels like more rain then normal, we are getting zapped by the Atlantic storms, tailends of East coast hurricanes coming over on the gulf stream, and our high pressure Mediteranean storm defense bubble is gone for the year. Good year for white truffles!
Old Sep 25th, 2006, 09:45 PM

I think we should just all go and find out.
Old Oct 17th, 2006, 12:58 PM

One way to get a feel for historical weather is to use weather underground (www.wunderground.com). they have historic weather records for lots of towns, but the reality is that it will either rain or mist or fog or be sunny. Or more likely all of the preceding at some point in the trip. In any case you will be in Italy having a wonderful time - lucky you!!! (PS: The word origin for the Nebbiolo grape is nebbia, meaning fog, which says something about their weather in the fall.)