Salzburg or St. Gilgen as Base?

Old Dec 31st, 2011, 07:10 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Salzburg or St. Gilgen as Base?

Would like some thoughts on best place to base ourselves for 4 nights next June. We are a family of 5 (parents plus kids 14, 12, 9) plus grandparents. We're arriving from Prague via train and will not have a car. Would it be better to rent an apartment in St. Gilgen and day trip out to Salzburg and Berchtesgaden or stay in Salzburg and day trip out to St. Gilgen area and Berchtesgaden? We will be leaving on the 4th day via train to go on to Garmisch for a brief, 2 day visit. We like the idea of being based in St Gilgen and enjoying the lakes, nature, etc.. but wondered if too big of a pain to travel into Salzburg and Berchtesgaden (definitely want to visit Eagles Nest) without a car. Thoughts anyone PLEASE?? Also, if any suggestions on apartment with small kitchen for renting would be great.
Old Dec 31st, 2011, 07:22 AM

With a family of 5 a car would be so much easier, and maybe less expensive. Given a car then St. Gilgen is the easy choice. Using public transport, I suspect Salzburg would be a better option.
Old Dec 31st, 2011, 09:19 AM

Hi VeeBee,

I certainly don't see the trouble with using the great bus/train system to commute from St. Gilgen. I spent four or five days there a few years ago without a car, and I had a blast. I think the small town feel of the place is wonderful, and you're right -- there's a ton to do there, including bike trips, ferry trips, and cable car rides.

The Austrian rail site is a bit quirky, so I would use the good German site to get all the schedules. Use

www.bahn.de

to see how much hassle each of your trips would be.

If you do stick to using public transport, you can congratulate yourselves for keeping your carbon footprint low and for helping to preserve the beauty that you came to see -- good for you!!

s
Old Jan 1st, 2012, 11:03 AM

Just got back from Salzburg. Stayed at this bauernhof just outside Salzburg. Only 5 min walk from the lokalbahn station. Highly recommended
www.neuwirtgut.at/
Old Jan 1st, 2012, 11:19 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for all your thoughts and suggestions. A car just isn't possible because our family of 5 will be joined by my parents making it total 7.. which would require a large bus type vehicle -- ugh!!! Guess it will partially depend on what kind of accomodations i can find within our meager budget within Salzburg vs. ST Gilgen. Would love any suggestions for inexpensive B&B/apt type accomodations within salzburg itself or st gilgen...please keep your thoughts coming.. VERY HELPFUL! vb
Old Jan 1st, 2012, 07:25 PM
bjl

VeeBee, I stayed in both Salzburg and outside of St. Gilgen in summer 2009. It strikes me that with three children, St. Gilgen is a better choice because of the family feel on Lake Wolfgangsee. I stayed lakeside at Hotel Furberg, just outside of St. Gilgen. Their website shows an apartment with a kitchenette, and they also have a breakfast buffet and dinner (which I thought was delicious). When I was there, I observed many families sitting on the lawn and enjoying the lake. I think the hotel rents paddleboats and bikes. And boat service on the lake stops exactly at the hotel's pier, enabling you to travel to other towns on the lake easily. It is also possible to walk along the lake into the village of St. Gilgen. I can't remember anymore how long it took me to walk back from the village, but it seems like a fun family outing. It was absolutely the quintessential holiday spot. Here's a web link. http://www.fuerberg.com/en.html

Plus, there's bus service into Salzburg from the area.
Old Jan 1st, 2012, 07:40 PM

We've visisted St. Gilgen just about every year for the last 6 yrs! Our favorite hotel is the Schernthaner. Frau Eisl, the owner, is a lovely lady who speaks very good English and treats her guests like family.

They also have at least one apartment which might better serve your purposes. Just send her an email with your requirements.

http://www.hotel-schernthaner.at/sei...sh/index_e.htm
Old Jan 2nd, 2012, 05:08 AM
ira

Hey VB,

I would rent a car if I were going to stay in St. Gilgen. You will be doing a lot of schleping.

Old Jan 2nd, 2012, 05:12 AM
ira

PS
The Salzburg card is worth the money.

http://www.salzburg.info/de/sehenswe...urg_card/index

FYI,
We very much enjoyed our stay in Salzburg at
http://www.ammoos.at/main.php?language=en&m=home%29

Old Jan 2nd, 2012, 05:14 AM

Hi again,

I stayed at the Pension Ferstl and adored it. It's a very small place nicely located right in town and not far from the lake. However, I'm not sure if they can accommodate all seven of y'all. Here's their web:

www.ferstl.at

Hope you find a good spot!

s
Old Jan 2nd, 2012, 06:36 PM
Original Poster

thanks again for all the suggestions.. i have emailed the pension ferstl as well as the suggested hotels (however look to be out of budget.. we're trying to stay within 200-250 E/ night for all of us) I did ck with AmMoos - but they were bkd. any others with suggestions on places to stay in salzburg or st gilgen would be welcome. veebee