Salamanca Hotel Help!

Search

Salamanca Hotel Help!

Search this Thread

Old May 25th, 2003, 08:49 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Salamanca Hotel Help!

SALAMANCA HOTEL HELP! Central, luxury or character Hotel with parking. Will be there in July ut leaving US this week . THank you. also restaurants if any good suggestions.
Old May 25th, 2003, 09:40 AM

Central, with lots of character and a bit of luxury: the "NH Palacio de Castellanos"
(but it books far in advance, especially on summer wkds. when wedding parties stay there). www.nh-hoteles.com It's a Travel Talk favorite.

A bit further removed, a quick, healthy but steep uphill walk to the U. buildings, the "Hotel Rector", with lots of charm, very small and private, pretty stained glass. See www.karenbrown.com
www.jpmoser.com or
www.secretplaces.com

Salamanca's only 5 star luxury place and yet to be reviewed here (opened last yr.):
the "AC Palacio de San Esteban", near the Cathedrals. Although these new AC Gran Clase hotels are housed in historic buildings, their guest rooms are designer, minimalist chic with clean, spare lines, Nordic style wood furniture, bare wood floors but terrific lighting and truly great baths, plus lots of extras you don't even find in the NH hotels.
www.ac-hoteles.com

All 3 have parking.
Old May 25th, 2003, 12:03 PM

Please stay at the Hotel Rector, we absolutely loved it. It has a parking garage and the most helpful staff at the desk you could think of. You are only across the street from the old town, and next to a lovely wine shop/wine bar.
The hotel has great linens, large bedrooms, marble bathroom that was very large. We splurged for a suite--it cost us $170 per night, including taxes.
The unbelievable Restaurante Victor Gut_(can't remember complete name, but it's not Chez Victors and you will walk right by it from hotel to Cathedral) We had an excellent dinner for 2 for $67.
You will love Salamanca.
Old May 26th, 2003, 04:08 PM
Original Poster

Thank you both so very very much for the help with Salamanca but now I have the same problem for The san sebastian coast up to Biarrita, the Parador is full for my June 27 to July 1st date, need elegant/luxury character type hotel do you have any suggestions for me?
Old May 26th, 2003, 07:28 PM

Just responded to your other post before seeing here that the Hondarribia Parador is full. In San Sebastian, I'd look at the Hotel de Londres y de Inglaterra (www.hlondres.com) or the Hotel Maria Cristina (www.westin.com), but that will be very, very tough because of high season there. Across the border, in the Pays Basque, look at the really lovely Grand Hotel in St-Jean-de-Luz. (www.luzgrandhotel.fr)
or the Parc Victoria, a member of Relais Chateaux (www.relaischateaux.fr)
Old May 27th, 2003, 05:06 AM

I stayed at a terrific, inexpensive, central, modern hotel in Salamanca last fall. It's called Hotel Rua, and it's about 1 minute walk to the central plaza. The hotel is new, the decor is "sleek, modern but warm", it had the largest marble bathtub I'd ever been in, and it was only about 50 euros a night (in October). However, it has limited amenities (eg no restaurant) - although the staff are very friendly and service-oriented. I think you might be looking for something fancier, but this might be a good back-up choice (especially if you want to stay somewhere attractive on a budget).
Old May 28th, 2003, 02:57 AM
Original Poster

Thank you everyone for your help. Without you all I would have found the trip difficult to book but this has been fun. Will post report at the end of the summer.