Search

Bilbao hotels

Search this Thread

Old Mar 7th, 2006, 06:25 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bilbao hotels

Has anyone stayed at the Mirò, Lopez de Haro or Gran Hotel Domine recently ? Am planning a weekend in Bilbao (first time) and would like to stay somewhere elegant but fun and central. Any ideas?
Thanks!
Old Mar 7th, 2006, 02:07 PM

Hi,

I stayed at the Lopez de Haro for one night 2 years ago. I liked it a lot and the staff was very nice. I had to leave the hotel by 5:30AM to catch a 7 AM flight and they had prepared for me coffee, juice ,croissants etc at their restaurant without me asking nor charging me. I thought they were very classy.

This summer I'll probably be back in Bilbao and will try to stay there.

I walked by the Domine and it looked too modern. I prefer more traditional hotels which the Lopez de Haro is.
Old Mar 7th, 2006, 02:34 PM

The Lopez de Haro is a very nice hotel, but starting to show it's age and is in need of renovation, but still acceptable because of the price for a grand old 5-star.

The Gran Hotel Domine is probably the best hotel in Bilbao and offers great service as well as very comfortable rooms. The standard double do not have a view of the Guggenheim, so if you want the view, which is worth it, than have to pay a little more.

The Miro is also a very nice, modern hotel just down the street from the GHDB and will be a little less expensive.
Old Mar 8th, 2006, 02:09 AM

In Bilbao, I stay at the Conde Duque. It's on the Nervion riverfront at the footbridge. I'm not sure if it's 3 or 4-star, but it is well located and very nice.
Old Mar 9th, 2006, 10:07 AM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone!
Old Mar 12th, 2006, 12:57 PM

I stayed a year ago at the Gran Hotel Domine. It is modern,beautifully furnished in contemporary style. They had great bath amenities, courteous staff. I only ate in their restaurant once but it was avery good meal.
Old Apr 26th, 2006, 07:20 AM

Conde Duque looks like it would be a fit for me but would welcome thoughts on location. I am in town for two nights to EAT. Is the hotel in the right area to do this? Cab to/from Casco Viejo? Any insights would be appreciated.
Old May 8th, 2006, 06:49 AM

weber, Bilbao is a very small city (350.000 souls), you can walk anywhere, and if not, there is an excellent public transport system (underground + bus + tram + funicular train + elevators to the upper part of town +...). Just besides the Conde Duque is the Yandiola restaurant, a very good choice for a gourmand menu.
Old May 8th, 2006, 07:25 AM

I'd say that the Sheraton has the best rooms in Bilbao, if not the best service. Their suites are the largest, very reasonably priced, and have high quality fixtures, and fittings.

The service isn't wonderful, the food is interesting rather than excellent, but it has a small pool too. Gran Hotel Domine does have a prime location, but as others have noted, Bilbao is so small anyway that this is really no longer that relevant.