Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Hotel Maria Cristina in San Sebastian - best view?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 9th, 2009, 10:59 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Though the Londres seems to have better views because of its location, I think we want to stay at the Maria Cristina.

Anyone know which rooms have the best views?
The ones they list are garden, city, river, partial river. But I've seen photos on t/a that look out at the sea w. caption "view from our room."

Thanks!
Old Aug 9th, 2009, 11:14 AM

Ibelgray,
I would stay away from the rooms on the south side, which have current construction going on next to them. Those facing the north, with views of the river flowing into the bay, the Old Quarter (Parte Vieja) and the Kursaal center, would be the best for me. And I'd request an upper floor so as to have better views, above the Victoria Eugenia theater.
Old Aug 9th, 2009, 11:16 AM

Forgot to mention that there is a major construction project (underground parking garage) going on next to the Hotel Abba de Londres y de Inglaterra on the northeast side facing the Plaza de Cervantes, which is all torn up.
Old Aug 9th, 2009, 12:32 PM
Original Poster

Wow, Maribel - I could not have hoped for more specific, helpful information.
Thank you.
Old Aug 9th, 2009, 12:42 PM

You're welcome, lbelgray. It helps that I just returned from San Sebastián and took notes (and photos) on all the myriad ongoing construction projects!
Old Aug 9th, 2009, 01:40 PM

The sea view rooms at the Londres are nice, but if were up to me, I'd opt for staying at the Villa Soro, in a superior room. It's an easy walk from there to the beach and the old city, and away from the ongoing construction projects.
Old Aug 9th, 2009, 07:21 PM
Original Poster

Really? Is that true, that it's an easy walk from Villa Soro? I thought I'd read otherwise somewhere. I remember thinking it looked nice, and then being bummed that it wasn't really walking distance from the city. Maybe a non-walker wrote that.
Old Aug 9th, 2009, 08:18 PM

Ibelgray,
It's not a bad walk at all from the Villa Soro to Zurriola (the surfers') beach. They also have bikes for guests' use. And from Zurriola it's an easy walk past the Kursaal center to the Old Quarter (Parte Vieja) for doing the daily txikiteo (tapas/pintxos crawl) and on to La Concha.

The remarks about the Villa Soro being so far distant are most likely from non-walkers. If you enjoy walking, it's really not that far. Or you can take a bike.

I really like the double rooms in the original Villa on the 2nd floor. Number 14 faces the garden and is very quiet, number 13 next door is the largest room in the house, with balcony and number 12, next to it has a terrace.

Small, discreet, stately, well run.

Same management as the beautiful Hotel Iturregi in Getaria, the contemporary Astoria 7 (brand new), the Churrut in Bera-Bidasoa, Navarra and the new Palacio de Guendulain in Pamplona. They have another property in the works in the Rioja.