Search

Salamanca?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 24th, 2008, 07:19 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Salamanca?

I have an opportunity to be in La Alberca, Spain in August - after my week's obligation has been completed, I will have some limited time before returning home. I am considering staying in Salamanca for perhaps four or five days before I head to Madrid for the flight back to the USA.

I am in my late 50s, a woman traveling solo - I have traveled extensively in Mexico, Central America, and throughout much of Europe (France, Italy, Greece, Croatia, Turkey)over many years, but not by myself ... usually with my husband, not ever with a tour. I speak some Spanish.

Does Salamanca seem like an interesting place for me to spend my time? Enough to see and do for four or five days? Any suggestions or other information will be appreciated - I am just in the early stages of planning for this unexpected opportunity, and I have never been to Spain.
Old Feb 24th, 2008, 09:07 AM

I was there as a solo female last summer and LOVED it. I was there 3 days but would not have been bored with four or five. It felt as safe as anywhere else I have ever been. I speak almost no Spanish. If you feel four or five days is too long consider Avila or Segovia for a couple of nights. I loved them also. Check out my photos at: http://www.pbase.com/annforcier/spai...lamanca_toledo
Scroll down, the Salamanca shots are at the bottom of the gallery.
Old Feb 24th, 2008, 10:12 AM

I agree with Ann. Salamanca is worth at least 3 days and then I would bus to Avila, which is on the route back to Madrid. I will be going back to Segovia and Salamanca in May as part of a much bigger itinerary, but I may not be up at dawn to get some of the shots that Ann did before the town woke up.
Old Feb 24th, 2008, 03:54 PM
Original Poster

Ann ... thank you so much for the amazing photos. I am so pumped now - Salamanca looks like such a beautiful city. I will also look at Avila - thanks again, also to Bob!
Old Feb 24th, 2008, 04:12 PM

I loved Salamanca, but IMO four or five days might be a bit much and I would suggest breaking the time up with either Segovia or Avila or both would be possible and worthwhile.
Old Feb 24th, 2008, 07:32 PM

You say you'll be heading back to Madrid to get your flight home... You don't specify if you are already factoring in a couple of days in Madrid. If not, I would suggest 3 days in Salamanca and 2 days in Madrid (or vicerversa).
Old Feb 25th, 2008, 04:26 AM

Thanks so much for you photos. I will be in Salamanca for only 1 night in May as part of a longer trip. Our hotel will be Alemada Palace. Will also only pass through Segovia. From the photos I can see I have much to look forward to.
Old Feb 25th, 2008, 08:04 AM
kja

Hi, scdreamer -

I agree with the others - Salamanca is absolutely beautiful, and it is easy to visit for a woman traveling alone with little or no Spanish. I also agree that with 4 or 5 days, you might want to spend a day or two in Avila or Segovia.

Hope that helps!