Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page > Spending 4-5 days in Castille Leon,Segovia,Avila,Salamanca

Spending 4-5 days in Castille Leon,Segovia,Avila,Salamanca

Jul 5th, 2013, 01:08 AM
Original Poster

Spending 4-5 days in Castille Leon,Segovia,Avila,Salamanca

Please review my itinerary:
Day 1: Go to Segovia from MAdrid and spend the day there
Day 2: Half a day trip to Coca castle( does anyone know how many buses are there in a day?)
Day 3: Go to Avila, now how much time do I need to spend there? I am a single traveler, I would like to avoid staying in Avila(seems like a sleepy town), and proceed to Salamanca in the afternoon/evening. IS that possible? Or do I do a day trip from Segovia?
Day 4: Salamanca
DAy 5: Any villages/small towns that can be seen nearby?

So my queries are:
1. Can I see Coca castle in half a day? And are there buses such that I would be able to stay there in the evening?
2. How do I do Avila: as a day trip from Segovia or do it while on the way to Salamanca,in that case where do I keep my luggage?
3. Any places/villages close to Avila or salamanca or do I do El Escorial instead?
Jul 5th, 2013, 02:44 AM

Salamanca is beautiful spend some time in there, I personally love Leon, its cathedral has fantastic vitreaux. sorry I have not visited Coca. Buena suerte.
The Escorial is worth a visit.
Jul 5th, 2013, 05:15 PM
kja

I (another solo traveler) valued nearly a day in Segovia, the better part of a day in Avila, and 2 full days in Salamanca.

How much time to give Avila depends on what you want to see and experience there. If you just want to see some of the walls nearest the train and bus station and visit San Vincente, maybe just a few hours. If you want to roam around the town a bit, visit the museums, stop in another church or two, and savor a cup of coffee or glass of wine, it will take at least the better part of a day.

I thought Salamanca quite magnificent and well worth at least 2 full (very full!) days.

I visited El Escorial as a day trip from Madrid. I was glad to have seen it, but found Segovia, Avila, and Salamanca of greater interest and would not have given up any time in those places to make time to see El Escorial. But that obviously depends on one's interests.

I didn't see Coca castle.

Enjoy!
Jul 5th, 2013, 11:43 PM

I spent 4 nights in Salamanca and 2 each in Avila and Segovia. I'm glad I did, there is so much to see in each of these beautiful towns. People rush through them too fast IMO.

Some of the best views of Avila are from outside the town at Cuatro Postes. Also the convent that St Theresa joined is outside of town. Salamanca is one of my favorite places anywhere as is Segovia.

I saw El Escorial and the Valley of the Fallen on my way from Segovia to Madrid.
Jul 10th, 2013, 03:42 PM

I spend the day in Avila en route (by bus) from Segovia to Salamanca. I'm not sure where Leon fits in your trip - it'd not in your 5 day itinerary. I'd stay at least 2 nights in Salamanca and even 3. You could do a daytrip to Ciudad Rodrigo. Depending on where you arriving from prior to Segovia I'd probably budget 2 nights in Sevilla. Then daytrip to Avila between. Never been to Coco castle.

Search this Thread