sailing to Croatia

Search

sailing to Croatia

Search this Thread

Old Dec 28th, 2009, 07:58 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
sailing to Croatia

Has anyone experienced a sailboat/yacht trip to several coastal cities in Croatia? We're planning a trip to Croatia in late spring or early summer and heard that these cruises (usually about 125 to 350 passengers) were a good way to see and get around the country. The one that I'm interested in leaves from and returns to Venice. I'm just beginning research on Croatia and was wondering if this is worth looking into further. We have 10 days, including travel to and from the U.S. Any input would be appreciated.
Old Dec 29th, 2009, 12:19 AM

While it wasn't a sailboat or yacht, I cruised from Venice
(which is a great port to sail from as one should spend some time there) on a small ship.

While I won't recomemnd this particular company as some elements weren't good, I can tell you it was an excellent way to see the ports. With a small boat, one docks right in the ports which is an obvious plus as you walk off the ship into town. Croatian ports are lovely as are the people.

If you can find something affordable & can spend some time in Venice do plan on taking this cruise.

One caveat: With the new & confusing TSA rules, remember to build in extra time for security @ airports PLUS check to make sure your aircraft has not been cancelled on the return flight. Incoming international flights also have new & ridiculous rulings (as no lavatory visits in last hr of flight). How this plays out we shall see.

May we ask what company you are interested in?
Old Dec 30th, 2009, 03:01 AM

Afterthought: You posted this on the Europe board.
Re-post on Fodors Cruise board which would be a better fit for answers.
Old Dec 30th, 2009, 04:08 AM

Herself and I did such a trip, but in a relatively small boat that took about 30 passengers -- a motorised schooner. There are scores of them on the Dalmatian coast. Not luxurious, not expensive, but very enjoyable. Trip report: http://www.iol.ie/~draoi/html/croatia1.HTM
Old Dec 30th, 2009, 12:13 PM
Original Poster

Rhea,

Thank you, I'll re-post on the cruise board. We were looking at the Windstar cruises. Cost is not as significant as the fact that my travel partner doesn't want to rent a car and drive in a foreign country where we don't speak the language and, from what I read, Croatia doesn't have particularly efficient public transportation. We have used private drivers in other places in Europe. While we don't necessarily seek luxury, we do want convenience, since we have limited time for travel.
Old Dec 30th, 2009, 12:54 PM

If cost isn't much of a problem, I suggest you look at National Geographic Expeditions with Lindblad. We did a trip this past June that included Dubrovnik,Mijet National Park,Sibenik/Krka National park, Korcula and Hvar in Croatia We then sailed on to Montenegro, the Gulf of Kotor and the city of Kotor, Albania, then the island of Ithaki and Delphi before arrriving in Athens.

This was aboard the Panorama a three-masted sailing vessel with capacity for 41 passengers. There were only about 29 of us. It was by far the best trip/tour I've encountered. Excellent service,guides and amenities. Highly recommend.

www.nationalgeographicexpeditions.com
Old Dec 31st, 2009, 05:08 AM

Rajen,
This is a great way to see Dalmatia. The logistics of doing something like that on your own [ferry schedules, etc] would be somewhat daunting.

I did a bike trip that travelled down the coast in a gulet starting in Istria and ending in Dubrovnik. Cycling included Porec, Rovinj, Pula, Split, Brac, Hvar and Korcula.

The scenery is spectacular. If you had time to rent a car on one of the islands and explore I would do that.

Most of the little towns are built around their harbors.