Maiden Voyage of Seabourn "Ovation"

Old Oct 16th, 2018, 10:14 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Maiden Voyage of Seabourn "Ovation"

Hello Fodorites,
My parents are going on their 50th Anniversary trip with Seabourn on their new ship "Ovation". This will be their first Seaborne cruise. They have been on one other cruise, on a Paul Gauguin ship in Polynesia (150 passengers). That was 7 days and this one is 21. Destinations include Barcelona, Spain Rome,Italy, Naples,Italy, Kotor, Montenegro, Split, Croatia, Venice, Italy, Koper, Slovenia, Zadar, Croatia, Dubrovnik, Croatia, Brindisi/Lecce Italy, Argostoli, Greece, Crete, Rhodes, Kos, Mykonos, Nafplion, and ending inAthens.

Looking for general useful info about Seaborn customs, daily life, and ways of handling things on the voyage. They have prearranged 7 excursions. Does Seaborne provide any support to passengers wanting to arrange excursions and other in port activities a la carte "on on your own?" Any shipboard customs or resources they should know about? Finally, if you've been to any of the above destinations.....any suggestions? They really need any info they can obtain. Thanks so much.
Old Oct 16th, 2018, 11:26 AM

Yes, all Seabourn ships have an on board Concierge that can make Reservations for excursions, shore dinner reservations (when in Port), and other activities.

There is also a Cruise Director with an entire staff that will be available to tend to all your parent’s needs, whatever they may be.

You’ll find loads of helpful info about “shipboard life” on Seabourn’s website. Prior to sailing your parents will also be given a booklet with specific info about the cruise they are taking.

Lastly, might want to go to Cruisecritic.com and look up Seabourn Cruises- you’ll find lots of comments about the cruise line and how they operate.

Seabourn is one of the more upscale smaller ship cruiselines and they pride themselves on providing excellent service to their clientele. Your parents will be in good hands and all they have to do is ask any crew member for as Sita day they will respond accordingly.
Old Oct 20th, 2018, 06:15 AM

That sounds like a wonderful 50th anniversary trip! We were booked for a two-week cruise on Seabourn in September which we had to cancel. But we fully intend to book another trip on Seabourn. I've read a lot about Seabourn, and I agree that the Seabourn website is a great resource for your parents. I also read a lot on cruise critic, and while some of the info was useful, overall I preferred the Seabourn website.
Old Nov 2nd, 2018, 01:58 AM

I've heard great things about Seabourn and Silversea; people I know that take cruises tend to take one of the other, or Windstar. Is there any general opinion about the differences between Seabourn and Silversea, or would anyone care to comment on these two lines? Why, for example, Seabourn and not Silversea for your parents? Was it the itinerary, the price, or anything else that made them choose Seabourn over Silversea? Or you, Kathie or Roamsaround??

I've never been on a conventional sea cruise, but partner is very keen......
Old Nov 3rd, 2018, 11:08 AM

Honestly, one is not necessarily better or worse then the other. They are just different cruise lines catering to the same clientele. They offer some similar itineraries and some different ones and service on both is about the same. On similar itineraries the biggest difference, if any, might be the size of the ship. We’ve been on itineraries where both ships from both lines were in the same port at the same time.

Your question is a bit like asking what is the better cut of steak, ribeye or filet mignon. You can’t go wrong with either one.
Old Nov 3rd, 2018, 11:18 AM

Let me add this. For what it is worth, many people repeatedly travel on a specific cruise line because they earn “frequent cruiser” status with that particular cruise line giving then perks like free or reduced fee internet service, free laundry, preferred reservations at specialty restaurants, early boarding privileges, etc.

The more cruise days you rack up with a particular cruise line the more perks you can earn toward future cruises with that company. Thus it stands to reason that many people will select one cruise line over another for just that purpose.