Croatia Small Cruise??

Search

Croatia Small Cruise??

Search this Thread

Old Nov 10th, 2007, 02:23 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Croatia Small Cruise??

My husband, 3-year-old and I are tacking on 7 or so days in Croatia to our trip to Italy in late April 08. We have never been to Croatia and I thought it might be fun to do some sort of cruise, given all of the islands. I checked with the nicer large cruise lines (Regent, etc.) and they won't be there then. We had semi-considered renting a private boat with a skipper(not a yacht!) but are concerned about the close quarters and getting a wierdo skipper.

Does anyone know of any smaller ships that are in the area (maybe 50-100 people?).
Old Nov 20th, 2007, 11:29 AM

Hi there - you may want to check out www.adriatica.net. We book a small cruise through them last June and had a great time. The boats only hold about 20-30 people, and most of the folks are German. There was one family on our boat with a girl - maybe 12 or 13. There aren't any activities besides swimming and exploring, no TV's either. But it pretty cool anyway.
Old Nov 20th, 2007, 11:44 AM
Original Poster

Thanks. Which ship did you go on?
Old Nov 20th, 2007, 11:57 AM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
We've sailed with "Windstar" Cruises and "Star Clippers" both 3 times. They both have 2(approx. 150 passengers)ships and 1 larger(250-300 passengers) ship. Our favorite is Windstar's "Windsurf", and we plan on doing the Venice, Croatia, Rome itinerary next year. "Royal Clipper" does a similar route.

To compare the ships--Star clippers are more fun and a better sailing experience. But Windstar is more luxurious,casual but still luxurious, and better food and service.

Whoops---I just read about your 3 yr, old. I don't know if these would be appropriate for him.
Old Nov 20th, 2007, 06:19 PM

We were on the Nerezine - based in Zadar. Most of the other boats looked similar.

These are not luxury cruises by any means, but they are an authentic, fun and inexpensive way to see the Adriatic. We paid about $800 for both of us for the week, which included breakfast, lunch and dinner each day. The meals were simple-cooked by the Capitan's wife and one other woman-- and served family-style. They were hearty and delicious though.

Our cabin had bunk beds and a bathroom; I believe some of the other boats do have double-bed rooms.

The biggest complaint we had was that the crew didn't speak much English. So when we came into a town for the evening we couldn't understand what they were telling everyone. It was most frustrating if we were just stopping somewhere and needed to return to the boat by a specific time. But, a few of the German's spoke English and were kind enough to translate for us.