safety in Prague

Search

safety in Prague

Search this Thread

Old Aug 2nd, 2009, 01:19 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
safety in Prague

Hi, I will be visiting Prague in October. I heard that Prague is deemed to be less safe for 2 girls traveling alone. Is that true? There are some disheartening news I've heard about abduction of young girls. It will be helpful if somebody can provide some insight on this as well as advice me on which area is safer to stay and places to avoid when walking around. Thanks very much!
Old Aug 2nd, 2009, 01:30 PM

This is your first post.
"There are some disheartening news I've heard about abduction of young girls."

Where did you get this information from? Link?
If you provide your sources, then one might take your post seriously

2 girls ? Are they 13 years old?
Old Aug 2nd, 2009, 01:46 PM
Original Poster

Yes, this is my first post.

19 years old. I'm not very sure about the reliability of the news I heard. Hence, would appreciate some clarification from experienced travelers from this forum. Plus to seek advice on safe places to stay and dodgy areas to avoid.

Thanks!
Old Aug 2nd, 2009, 01:56 PM

I suppose there are horror stories to be told in every large city and small town in the world, and in the middle of wheat fields, for that matter. Prague is a safe place to travel and it gets a gazillion visitors each year, the vast majority of whom don't become crime victims. I've been there twice, with female friends, though we are much older than you. The key to safety is to act responsibly, and that would apply to all of us, even if we stay home: be wary of how much, where, and with whom you drink. Don't travel down dark alleys, stick to the main drags at night. If you take a taxi, have the hotel or restaurant call one for you. I personally avoid trams and buses at night but that's a personal decision. Keep your handbag secure and your wallet deep within. If you investigate places to stay, reviews and comments will mention if the neighborhoods are pleasant and convenient.
Old Aug 2nd, 2009, 04:48 PM

The only way you're at risk is if you wander down dark allies at 3 am alone and drunk. If you keep your wits about you - and have a good grasp on how much you can drink - you will be as safe as you are at home.
Old Aug 2nd, 2009, 05:24 PM

Exercise the same responsible safety precautions you would anywhere else. Don't drink too much, be aware of your surroundings, etc. You'll be fine. Prague is a wonderful city, and you'll have a great time.
Old Aug 3rd, 2009, 11:32 AM

Human trafficking goes on all over and Eastern Europe is no exception. However just like anywhere else you would go, exercise common sense and you'll be fine.
Old Aug 3rd, 2009, 11:48 AM

#
november_moon on Aug 3, 09 at 03:32 PM

Human trafficking goes on all over and Eastern Europe is no exception. However just like anywhere else you would go, exercise common sense and you'll be fine."

that may be the case, but I have not seen a serious article about " kidnapping" of tourists in Prague. Have you?
Old Aug 4th, 2009, 02:32 AM

in the early 90's there were cases of "white meat" trade where indeed several girls were kidnapped. Prague, for the last 15 years has been very safe. Often my customers (visitors), when queried, say they felt safer here than they do at home walking the streets, even late at night.
Old Aug 4th, 2009, 03:43 AM

it was a bit creepy with the guys approaching us to exchange money or offer drugs- three times in all
and i didnt like some of the streets we had to walk to get to the old town
we caught an early morning train one sunday and i really picked up the pace when i saw some youths hanging round - this was about 530 am mind you so i dont think they were so much early risers as late hanger rounders lol
was hard to go to an atm with them around

a group of boys swarmed round us near some public toilets and one tried to pick my handbag but was unsuccessful because OH pushed me oh so gracefully into the turnstile and saved the day
my raincoat kinda helped too since it got in his way - lying on top of my bag

in other toilets i had aggressive young girls being more than cheeky banging on toilet doors - using their feet - could tell by the marks they left
have never ever encountered that kind of audacity

had to count my change all of the time
hated that aspect but i guess that can happen anywhere

watch that youonly catch aaa taxis - theyre bonafide
lots of rip off merchants

lots of police round wenceslas square but they had their backs to the hooligans yahooing so i guess i didnt feel all that protected
but hey

that was just my experience

prefer cesky krumlov and vienna
Old Aug 4th, 2009, 09:39 AM

Well -I've been to Prague 4 times now and have never had any of these experiences. (But then I don;t hang around dicey areas at 5:30 am either.)

And it's certainly perfectly simple to ignore anyone trying to sell you someting you don;t want.

We did have one taxi incident - since my SIL has trouble walking long distances we took a cab from Old Town Square back to out hotel. We knew he was going the wrong way and told him - but he made up some story. Wehn we got there I has her get out first while I funbled with the money - then got out and handed him the fare throgh the window. It was less than he asked for - but was a reasoanble fare plus tip. He comlained, I ignored and he went away (what else oould he do?)

If that is the worst thing that ever happens on a trip you're pretty lucky.

And I can;t imagnie how one person ran into so many drug dealer, mobs of criminal young people and rude locals - unless hanging out at the wrong end of town. (Yes, there are bad neighborhoods in every city.)

As for kidnapping - doesn't happen to tourists n europe. Typically what happens is that young and naive (or stupid) young women from poor areas of the old USSR are lured to the west with the promise of a job as a "model" or "actress" or even "housekeeper" - later to find out they have to work as prostitutes to repay all of their expenses (which never happens). Very unfortunate for them - and I believe local governments are cracking down on this now. But nobody is stealing random tourists off the streets in europe.
Old Aug 4th, 2009, 11:17 AM
Original Poster

Hey everyone! Thanks so much for the prompt replies to my post. I really appreciate some of the advices you all have given, and especially sharing your experience of some dodgy situations. At least, I'll have an idea of how to react and respond, and best of all, avoid.
I am aware that all cities have their 'danger' spots.This is my first eastern europe trip, and I want it to be of good memories, especially since Prague is so beautiful and I'll be going in Autumn!
Old Aug 11th, 2009, 06:21 PM

Use AAA taxis. The drivers are said to be able to speak English. I took only one AAA taxi but the driver did indeed speak English. No funny business either.