Prage safety issues for young women

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 6th, 2005, 05:58 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My daughter and some girlfriends are traveling to Prague together. I have heard that young women are frequent victims of theft there. I am looking for suggestions on how to advise them. I appreciate any thoughts you may have....
Old Jun 6th, 2005, 06:00 PM
Original Poster

Whoops - I meant Prague safety issues...
Old Jun 6th, 2005, 07:39 PM

Generally speaking, Prague is relatively safe; except pickpock problems in train stations, public transports and tourist areas.

If they are travelling to Prague by train, please make sure all travel dacumemts and valuables are in moneybelts and well-hidden, keep an eye on luggages/backpacks on train also.

Some reports mention about drunken tourists cause problems around Wenceslas Square, perhaps they should stay away from that area in the evening.
Old Jun 7th, 2005, 06:58 AM
Original Poster

Thank you JudyC. That's very helpful!
Old Jun 7th, 2005, 10:02 AM

You don;t say how old your daughter/friends are but since you;re wiriting I'm assuming they are high school/college kids.

Given recent events - if they don;t have at least a basic idea of how to stay safe in a big city - or anywhere else for that matter -PLEASE be sure they learn before they go.

I can;t believe I'm having to say this to anybody over the age of 10 - but make sure they know not to go anywhere with strangers, not to get drunk or use drugs with strangers, not to believe stories from unknown people about wanting to make them "models" or put them on TV - and know about all of the basic financial scams - including 3 card monte.

Prague is perfectly safe - but like everywhere else in the world - you must keep your wits about you at all times.
Old Jun 7th, 2005, 10:11 AM

Wenceslas Square felt very safe to me (traveling with another woman) at night.
It's not charming, but it's active and well-lit and we had no qualms walking back to our hotel in the late evening.
I have never felt unsafe anywhere in central Prague, but the advice on pickpockets is well-taken.
Old Jun 7th, 2005, 10:41 AM

Prague cabbies are infamous for ripping off tourists--both Czech tourists and foreigners. http://www.buzzle.com/editorials/1-14-2005-64277.asp

And robberies are not uncommon around Wenceslas Square
Old Jun 7th, 2005, 10:46 AM

i was in prague during the ice hockey world championship and i watched the game on a big screen in old town square along with a few hunderd (maybe a thousands) people...and it felt totaly safe.
Old Jun 7th, 2005, 10:59 AM

It's good to feel safe.
Old Jun 7th, 2005, 11:06 AM

I just returned from Prague and all went well. I avoided using cabs due to their reputation, but when I needed one to go to the train station, I asked my hotel to call one for me and it was fine. You can easily walk most places in Prague. As other people have suggested, keep together, watch your purse, backpack or whatever you keep your stuff in, and don't change money with anyone on the street. Just use an ATM for the best rates. Also, if you are buying anything there, if you can pay in cash, as for a better price. This was effective for things that cost over 1,000 koruna (about $40 bucks). It's a great place, have fun.