Prague Personal Security

Search

Prague Personal Security

Search this Thread

Old Aug 8th, 2006, 10:16 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Prague Personal Security

Plan to travel to Prague this Dec and I am concerned with the personal security risks. We plan to use a private guide and avoid public transportation, but do plan to walk by ourselves as much as possible. I live in a large US city and have traveled all over the world, so have some experience and common sense. But from the reports I read, the situation in Prague seems serious. Is it legal to carry mace? Is it a good idea?
Old Aug 8th, 2006, 11:39 AM

Hello, Alex!

Alright, I'm not exactly sure where you are getting your information--though you are not the first person that I have heard this from, so I don't want you to think that I'm being critical--BUT here's my take....

My husband and I have lived here for a year. We live near the city center (so we aren't secluded out in a suburb or expat community somewhere); we take public transportation everywhere, all the time, to all parts of the city. In fact, public transit runs all night as well, and we have taken it, too, and have never felt unsafe.

Now, if you have common sense (i.e. aren't flashing your money around or throwing your passport at people in the street), watch your personal belonging just like you would at home and basically pay reasonable attention to what is happening around you, you should have no problems!

Prague is such a beautiful and graceful city--especially in the snow!--that I would hate for you to come unnecessarily anticipating a "serious" situation here that doesn't exist.

Mace? I think not.

As you get closer to your trip, let me know if you need restaurant or activity suggestions! --MP
Old Aug 8th, 2006, 11:57 AM

I don't know which reports you're getting your information from, but here in Europe Prague isn't viewed as a particularly dangerous city. Experience and common sense should be adequate precautions.

Old Aug 8th, 2006, 01:09 PM

I'd have to agree with these posters. You can walk the streets of Prague even late at night---particularly in the central historic district---and feel perfectly safe. You might have to watch for pickpockets on trams and around the touristy areas, but they're pretty easiliy discouraged, particularly in the winter, when you can simply put your wallet, etc., in an inside pocket of your coat. I haven't read about this crime wave you mention either.
Old Aug 8th, 2006, 01:16 PM

i worked in prague for many months...lived on the edge of the city centre in working class karlin. there are a lot of dodgy people in prague and they have had some problems with mafia types. as for the average tourist however, there is little to worry about as long as you are careful. i regularly walked alone all over the city at crazy hours of the night (perhaps not very smart) and never had any indications of problems. i took the trams all the time and they are very safe. i also took the underground sometimes and never had a problem there either (however, if you are particularly paranoid, you might want to stick with the trams as they will feel safer to you).
Old Aug 8th, 2006, 01:18 PM

What about Wenceslas Square? I've heard that's pretty shady ... any concerns about being there at night or staying close by there or in the New Town?
Old Aug 8th, 2006, 01:21 PM

I think the main problem with the Wenceslas Square area is that it's kind of seedy in a Times Square in the 1980s kind of way. But in terms of personal security, I still don't think street crime is that much of an issue there. It's well lit at night and quite busy. Anyway, someone like alexrey who is really worried about safety will probably take cabs anyway.
Old Aug 8th, 2006, 01:24 PM

You appear to have confused Prague with Iraq.

It is perfectly safe (no need for personal guide or to avoid public transit) other than the usual scams and pickpockets in major train stations that you see everywhere in the world.

Some people have trouble with cabbies since they dont know approx price of a ride. We had a problem with only one - and I just paid him what it should have been - rather than what he was asking. When he complained I offered to call the polic and he left. (The key is if the driver refuses to pull up in front of the hotel - insist he does - if he still refuses pay half of what he's asking.
Old Aug 8th, 2006, 01:31 PM

...or you could just take AAA taxi and not deal with any of this BS. they are one of the best taxi companies i have ever dealt with anywhere in the world...completely professional. you can either call them or you can usually find them on the street. if you take a random taxi, you will have to deal with some BS (fixed price "deals" instead of the meter, outright scams, etc).

AAA cannot be found at the airport...a company called airport cars handles airport transport...they are always honest as well (although a meter is not used by airport cars, the price is fixed and after MANY trips, the price was always correct).
Old Aug 8th, 2006, 01:40 PM

I've been to Prague three times now (about 5-10 days each time), and love the city. I go all over alone and I'm a female, and take public transportation, also. It's not seriously dangerous there if you do use common sense. I have heard their metro system might be a little more dangerous than some cities late at night. I stick to buses/trams the few times I did want to take public transportation late (like after the opera).

Maybe your reports are from people who were there under Communism or something. Seriously, I have a friend who was a professional classical musician who told me Prague was dangerous and he had to have body guards when he went there -- but that was about 25 years ago. I do have a friend who was just robbed of 300 euro in the Prague metro system, also, so I would exercise caution on that regard (she does not). I don't know the details on that one yet as she's living in Finland now and I haven't spoken to her recently -- if it was just a pickpocket or more forcible, I don't know, but she was going around with a lot of money on her (she was there as a tourist with her husband, whom she was with when that happened).
Old Aug 8th, 2006, 01:41 PM

Kind of a dumb question, but why would trams be safer than underground? Rick Steves says trams 22 and 23 are especially prone to pickpockets.

Another question about personal safety ... if it can be called that ... is getting ripped off. I've heard stories of people not giving proper change, adding things to restaurant bills, etc. Any incidences of this ?
Old Aug 8th, 2006, 01:51 PM

i didn't say that the trams were safer than the underground. i don't have the stats to make these claims. i said that the trams feel safer...they are well lit and the driver is in there with you.

i don't feel that the underground is unsafe...however, you can get into an isolated car (difficult to avoid in some areas when it is not busy). you also need to navigate through tunnels, dimly lit staircases, etc. this makes it feel less safe. the tram feels very safe. you should guard yourself against pickpockets all over prague. i can't imagine a forceful pickpocket on the central city tram but certainly more possible on the underground.

never had a problem with overcharging.
Old Aug 8th, 2006, 02:02 PM
Original Poster

Thank you all for all of the responses. I am pleased that they were positive. There are many serious incidents reported in Trip Advisor, Frommer's and other travel web sites. The gypsy gangs activities seem common. This is where a group surrounds the victim, attacks and robs.
I do not fit the typical victim profile, kind of big, but like to avoid trouble.
Did not get an awnser as to legality of mace, we are going to be driving in the countryside and it is not unreasonable to have in the car.
Thanks, Alex
Old Aug 8th, 2006, 02:13 PM
Original Poster

By the way, when making car rental reservations I was advised that CZ does not allow german made rental cars to cross the border. Any one knows why? The rental agent claimed that he did not. Thanks
Old Aug 8th, 2006, 05:12 PM

I t has nothing to do with the CZ government. It's the car rental agencies - will typically only allow you to take less expensive (vs luxuty) rental to Czech repubich.

There used to be issues of leaded vs non-leaded gas - now I think it;'s just a matter of fleet requirements (lots of people want to go Ger to CZ vs the other way and you have too many cars in the wrong place).
Old Aug 8th, 2006, 05:27 PM

I think if one is a resident vs. a visitor there is a different kind of thinking as to one's safety. Where I live it's a major city and from what I read, there are pickpocketers on the public transporation. Yet I don't even think about it and I use the public transporation daily. But I am aware of my surroundings and my belongings.
Old Aug 8th, 2006, 05:39 PM

Of course one needs to be aware of their surroundings and of the people around them in any city, but we never had a moment of feeling unsafe in Prague. We stayed in the heart of the old city and walked everywhere. As for the cars...the German made cars are highly valued by the car thieves.
Old Aug 8th, 2006, 06:12 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
As with all generalizations, they're wrong.
Some (repeat, some) rental companies won't allow any car into Czech Rep.
Some won't allow German cars into CzRep (if they happen to be Porsche or Mercedes Benz). Some rental companies allow anything into CzRep.
We've had no problem taking cars into CzRep, SlovRep, or Hungary. Merely had to advise when booking our intent as to country(s). Weren't permitted to take car to Romania or Ukraine. Companies we've used were Europcar, AutoEurope (and thru them Hertz, Avis), and Gemut.com
Re the security, I never felt at all threatened, day or night, walking or on tram. Maybe at 6', 205# they wouldn't risk it. But I tend to look AT people, particularly if they look "shaky", not away from them.
Old Aug 8th, 2006, 07:42 PM

What reports are you reading?
Leave the mace at home.
Old Aug 8th, 2006, 08:07 PM

I was by myself in Prague this May. The city felt very safe to me, I stayed in the center and walked back to the hotel quite late. I heard a lot of reports about pickpocketing, not violent crime, before I went. I wore a moneybelt and didn't have any incidents.

However I recommend to order a taxi pickup in advance from airport and train station and try to have smaller bills. In my case the taxi driver lost his ability to count and didn't want to give me correct change right away hoping I'll get tired and take what he is willing to give me.

The manner of Czechs is somewhat different. The most helpful people were not necessary very smily and effusive.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -