Safety in Bologna?

Old Jul 20th, 2005, 09:21 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Safety in Bologna?

I wonder about our hotel location in Bologna. It is near the Arena del Sole, about two-thirds of the way down Via Indipendenza toward the center -- specifically, the Hotel Paradise at Vicolo Cattani 7. What's the area like, especially for an evening walk back from the center, say 9 p.m.? Anyone stayed at the Paradise? Bologna hotels are full for a trade fair in late September.
Old Jul 20th, 2005, 09:53 AM

I haven't been in Bologna but 9 PM looks to me a very early time to be unsafe. Everyone should be having dinner at that time
Old Jul 20th, 2005, 10:14 AM

Hi parkhill, out of curiosity I googled this Hotel and it looks just fine. Bologna is an easy city to be in and as kenderina said at 9:00pm at night people will be in restaurants having dinner etc. Also I have always found a lot of people walking around in Bologna. People in Italy spend a lot more time outdoors than they so in the US which is one reason the cities are so vibrant and fun.

Bologna does have a large university student population and so there is drug use but that is nothing that will be a problem for you. I have friends in Italy whose daughter lived in an apt. in Bologna for several years while she attended university and she never had a problem. But as anywhere, stay alert etc., but that is true for any city. Personally I would feel safer in Bologna then a lot of US cities.

Bologna is a beautiful city and walking is so easy. Enjoy your visit!!
Old Jul 20th, 2005, 10:24 AM
KT

I also just looked at this hotel, and it looks pretty central. I agree with what the others have said: don't worry. I do recall that a few years ago a Bolognese friend of mine advised me to stay out of the Giardino Pubblico (which is between the station and the hotel, but quite avoidable if you just stick to the main streets) late at night, as it was then a center for drug deals and other sleazy doings, but I don't know if that's still true.
Old Jul 20th, 2005, 10:58 AM
Original Poster

I appreciate the replies. To clarify, we're experienced travelers, in Italy and elsewhere, and my question really relates to a specific area rather than "Dear me, will we be safe in Italy." Actually, we willl probably be eating at 9 p.m. with everyone else!
Old Jul 20th, 2005, 11:23 AM

We stayed 5 days in the Sofitel across from the stazione and walked 15 minutes from there to and from restaurant Bertino (highly recommend!) on V. Lame on streets less populated than Indipendenza and we had no problems. I can't find V. Cattani on my little map but you should be fine on that main street.
Old Jul 21st, 2005, 07:31 AM

The area your are staying is fine. You should avoid the area near the central University at night (in the middle of Via Zamboni), there is some drug dealing etc going on there (at least until a year ago).
Old Jul 21st, 2005, 07:41 AM

I just was trying to point that "at night" in Italy (as well as here in Spain) and especially in summer..is after 1 or 2 AM
Old Jul 21st, 2005, 07:46 AM

Bologna is a lovely city. I've been there several times and would happily go back there. I'm sure drug-dealing goes on - it probably happens in every city - but it won't cause a problem. Even if you walk along a street where there are drug dealers, they won't bother you, unless perhaps you look as though you might want to buy or sell.
Old Jul 21st, 2005, 01:49 PM
Original Poster

Right, Geoff. Straight on it is! And thanks to all.
Old Jul 22nd, 2005, 05:09 AM

Hey, I stayed at the Hotel Paradise! Its a nice place. Near the main shopping street in a quiet pedestrian area.

The neighborhood is not creepy at all, especially in the directions of the center or the university. North, near the station, gets a little more rundown.

I think Bologna has the best food in Italy. There was one restuarant, in particular, that we still daydream about -- I'll try to look up the name tonight.
Old Jul 22nd, 2005, 05:11 AM

I should mention that, since it is in a pedestrian district, there are big signs prohibiting cars from the area (police cameras will photograph your license plate). If you are driving, just go past the signs -- the hotel will notify the police that you are a guest so you won't get a ticket.
Old Jul 22nd, 2005, 05:18 AM

Ah, my husband remembers: Trattoria Anna Maria (note there is another place nearby with a similar name, maybe Restuarant Ana Maria), near the theater. Man o man. I ate there twice, it was so good.
Old Jul 22nd, 2005, 05:27 AM

I've been to Anna Maria too, great tagliatelle!