Safest way to bring home souvenirs ?

Old Oct 13th, 2002, 09:17 AM
maryann

Safest way to bring home souvenirs ?

I am paranoid about checking in my stuff, in fear things might get lost or stolen from AirFrance. So my husband and I have decided to pack all of our clothes for our 6 day trip on two carry ons (one for him, the second one for me).<BR>But how can I safely bring home some of the items we might buy overseas (like a medium size painting, perfume, a purse, two or three plates)?<BR>

Old Oct 13th, 2002, 09:56 AM
Monica

Carry on anything you can't live without, & check the rest. Clothes can be replaced (& imagine how much fun that would be). I always pack far less than full on the way there, so I have room for souvenirs on the way back. On my return, all my clothes are in the checked bag, so I can put all the breakable/valuable souvenirs in my carry-on (rollaboard). You might bring a small amount of bubble wrap, though we found that most places wrapped things in bubble wrap for you if you asked.

Old Oct 13th, 2002, 09:57 AM
Nora

Make sure there is room in the suitcase for the purchases that can fit in the suitcase. Bring bubblewrap for fragile items like plates and pottery. Pack the fragile new purchases in the middle of the suitcase. You might want to pack 'disposable' clothes. Stuff you don't mind leaving in Europe.<BR><BR>For large-sized items like paintings, the sales clerk should have info on shipping to your home.

Old Oct 14th, 2002, 07:48 AM
Patrick

Oh, for Pete's sake. Just check your luggage. I've been to Europe more than 20 times in the past 10 years, and have NEVER had my luggage lost or damaged or anything stolen out of it.

Old Oct 14th, 2002, 08:30 AM
Jen

Patrick, not everyone is as fortunate as you. I take a carryon with a collapsible tote inside. Then on the way home, the laundry goes in the tote, which I check, and the carryon goes on board with souvenirs.

Old Oct 14th, 2002, 09:17 AM
Carolyn

Maryann, don't forget that you still can't take manicure utensils, mini-sewing kit or anything sharp in your cabin baggage, either in- or out-bound.

Old Oct 14th, 2002, 10:23 AM
Faina

Maryann, would you trust the postal service? You can mail a parcel home - put in your clothes - sure you can live at home without them for some time! And take your souveniers as carry-ons.

Old Oct 14th, 2002, 10:29 AM
mary kay

I totally agree with Monica's advice: on the way home check your clothes in your luggage and carry on your valuables/souvenirs. Pack a folding or collapsible nylon bag in your suitcase on the way over, then use that as your carryon on the way home.<BR><BR>An alternative to bubble wrap is the shelf paper that they sell in discount stores that is rubbery and woven looking. I think it is Rubbermaid brand. Protects fragile items without the bulk of the bubblewrap. Take a small amount of duct tape - they sell packages of it smaller than a deck of cards in discount stores. Also, socks can cover figurines and wine bottles very handily!<BR><BR>Mary Kay

Old Oct 14th, 2002, 10:39 AM
Cathy

Just this summer my bag was lost between Europe and San Jose, CA. It finally showed up 4 days later. It was badly damaged, but everything was still in it. Fortunately, we had done as others have suggested: We took a duffle that folds up into nothing, and brought our valuable souvenirs (leather jackets, pottery, etc.) home as carry-on in that.