Reload this Page >

Ireland Itinerary - Open to suggestions

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 10th, 2002, 08:48 AM
Jill

Hi folks - Here are my ideas after much research ...<BR><BR>Day 1 - Arrive Shannon early a.m., drive to Doolin, sightsee area (some Burren, Cliffs of Moher) Spend night Doolin<BR>Day 2 - Drive to Salthill - then beyond along the coast to Roundstone & back Spend night in Salthill<BR>Day 3 - Drive to Kylemore Abbey area and back Spend another night Salthill<BR>Day 4 - Drive to Dingle via Kilrush-Tarbert ferry Spend night Dingle<BR>Days 5 & 6 - Explore Dingle Pen Spend 2nd and 3rd night at Dingle B & B<BR>Day 7 - Drive to Kenmare - sightseeing Killarney NP on way Spend night at Kenmare<BR>Day 8 - Drive Sheepshead (?) Pen thru Healy Pass Spend night in Bantry<BR>Day 9 - Drive Mizenhead Pen Spend night in Clonakilty<BR>Day 10 - Drive to Youghal sightseeing on way Spend night Youghal<BR>Day 11 - Drive To Bunratty via Cahir, etc sightseeing Spend night Bunratty<BR>Day 12 - Sightsee area - Folk Park maybe Medieval Banquet Spend 2nd night Bunratty<BR>Day 13 - appropriate number (!) Fly Home from Shannon<BR><BR>Too much driving? Not enough time to soak it all in? Too much moving night to night?<BR>

Old Oct 10th, 2002, 09:16 AM
ed

The only thing I would question is the two nights at Bunratty. I found Bunratty to be OK but not what it is cracked up to be. You can easily do the castle and the whole folk park in 1/2 day maximum. Not worth two days and I think the feast is way overpriced. I would suggest to cut back on Bunratty and spend perhaps more time in Kenmare. If you like country houses Muckross House and Garden in Killarney NP is well worth part of a day. <BR><BR>Have fun wish I was going with you to visit the most wonderful place in the world.

Old Oct 13th, 2002, 08:09 AM
David D.

Dear Jill,<BR><BR>You have the makings of what should be a memorable trip. My wife and I have have vacationed in Erin for ten of the past eleven years, so I might be able to offer you some helpful feedback.<BR><BR>Doolin is overrated. More than a decade ago it was, as Rick Steves might say, a "back door" location, a quirky one-street village that was a jumping-off point for the Aran Islands as well as a mecca for Irish traditional music. But today it's way too touristy, featuring pubs that are chock-a-block with non-Irish from the world over. I'd suggest that you stay in another town not too far from Shannon Airport, perhaps Corofin in east Clare. It's close to the Burren, and there are at least a couple noteworthy B & Bs in town (e.g., Clifden House).<BR><BR>As to your two days in Connemara, Salthill seems like a good choice. The town itself isn't recommended, but it makes a good base for exploring both Galway City and Connemara (both of which are a treat). Should you have good weather, get out to the countryside, but think beyond the too-touristy Kylemore and consider an off-shore island. If the weather isn't on your side, check out Galway City. It's a lively and culturally-minded town. Don't miss Kenny's Book Shop.<BR><BR>Spending at least two days around Dingle is wise, but I think you're doing too much moving about after that. Staying one night in a single location is seldom wise. You'll be maintaining a bewildering pace, and it'll seem way too hectic. Slow down, give at least two days in Killarney. The town itself has sold its sold to tourism, but the National Park is lovely. Also,leave at least two days, preferably three,to explore west Cork. There are countless quiet villages, offshore islands (check out Sherkin and Cape Clear, leaving from Baltimore), but do take it at a leisurely pace.<BR><BR>Youghal is an unremarkable town, and you'd be better off spending a day or two in Kinsale. It's overpriced and overexposed, but its location is especialy fine, along with many fine upmarket restaurants and shops. Historic Charles Fort is nearby. Have lunch at the Bulman Pub, located on the waterfront, after your trip to the fort.<BR><BR>Finally, you're dedicating three nights in or around Shannonside and Bunratty. The folk park and castle requires no more than a half-day, although there are many historic sites around Shannonside that are worthy of your attention (check out Fodor's Ireland or, better yet, The Rough Guide to Ireland). Still, I'd save one of those three days for West Cork or a day at Tipperary's Rock of Cashel.<BR><BR>I trust this will be of some help. In any event, have a wonderful trip. Ireland is a remarkable country, but it works best at an easy, unhurried pace - just like its people.

Old Oct 13th, 2002, 10:57 AM
cd

Jill<BR>Sounds as if you have received some good advice! However, we spent our first night in Doolin after landing in Shannon and thought it to be a good decision. Doolin is close to the Burren and the Cliffs making sight-seeing that first day enjoyable. The next morning we drove to Salthill via R477/N67 Stopping along the harbour towns of Ballyvaughn and Kinvara. We found it to be a lovely drive.

Old Oct 13th, 2002, 11:24 AM
Emma

All good choices, except (agreeing with others) Bunratty, which is mostly (very) hokey tourist stuff. And Youghal was absolutely dead when we were there around this same time a couple of years ago -- in fact, the whole town appeared to be deserted! We went on to Cobh, which is WONDERFUL. Almost like being on a island -- a lovely, colorful little town. Waterville is also very nice. Doolin is okay, and it's certainly a gorgeous location, near Lisdoonvarna and the Burren.

Old Oct 13th, 2002, 03:38 PM
Mike

We spent our first night in Doolin, also. I would do Bunratty the last night, flying out of Shannon the next morning. The Medieval Banquet was touristy, but you got to do it at least once.<BR><BR>Kinsale was a real nice place to visit. We did 2 days there, and I think it would be worth a day if you can fit it into your itinerary.

Old Oct 14th, 2002, 08:49 AM
bill

Great suggestions. The arguments for and against Doolin will go on. I don't think you will be disappointed with one night there. More than 1 might be a problem.<BR><BR>The arguments for and against the Castle Banquet will go on too. It is expensive and the food is at best so-so. The quality of the entertainment is pretty amazing. I did not expect that. The violinist was fantastic. Despite the touristy nature of the event, we had a great time. I did not expect it. <BR><BR>Bill

Old Oct 14th, 2002, 10:50 AM
Jill

THANK YOU all. Esp. the time you took w/your comments, David. I'll carefully consider the suggestions and probably make some minor changes ...