packing & luggage

Jun 3rd, 2003, 08:31 AM
Original Poster

packing & luggage

lots on the boards about people who just take a 22" carryon. For those of us who don't or can't travel light, what is the most anyone takes and still reasonably manages? if have a car? if only going by train?
Jun 3rd, 2003, 08:42 AM

Well, I guess a good guideline is "what can you carry/pull?"

I try to travel light, but when I went to England in January for 2 weeks I brought 1 large suitcase (not sure of the size, but it's pretty big) that I checked on the airplane and that had wheels, and a shoulder bag that is probably about 15" X 9" X 8", and my purse. (Had to pack warm bulky clothes for January). The shoulder bag I could put on top of the luggage when I was pulling it.

I wouldn't bring more than 2 pieces - for example, how would you wheel 2 suitcases and carry something on your shoulder up and down stairs and on and off trains? Not very pleasant.

Good luck!
Jun 3rd, 2003, 08:50 AM
Bootman4U

I always travel "heavier" than I should but on this last trip (during which I also traveled exclusively by train) I limited myself to one four-wheeled hard-sided suitcase and a backpack which was more than adequate. Unfortunately, "...the most anyone takes and still reasonably manages" is pretty subjective. I'll stick to my standard anthmen which, by the way I admit I rarely ever observe!!!!get it all together in the suitcase then take it all out and put it on the bed...next, take HALF of that with you on the actual trip and leave the other half home.
A lot of this "luggage angst" becomes immaterial if you travel by taxi and have the hotel porter help with luggage, etc. then its a matter of getting to the train station early enough to heft it on first and get situated.
Do you REALLY need to take 15 pairs of socks????

Jun 3rd, 2003, 08:55 AM

Joanel- No matter how hard I try, I cannot travel as lightly as many people do on this forum. Kaudrey's point is a good one- you don't want to be laden down with purses, totes and a gigantic suitcase on your trip. Also, hotel rooms are much smaller in England, so your bag will take up valuable living space. I try to take a 22" carryon, but also a good sized duffle. I try to pay another bag inside my suitcase that folds very flat. I bring home all my purchases in that, and will carry that on and check the 22" bag. Some tips to pack smaller always are good. Here are my favorites:

The best things to remember is to pack your bag and pick it up and carry it around your house (even if it has wheels). If you can carry it around without too much strain, then you will be fine b/c chances are you will have to lug it up some stairs at one point or another during your trip. Also try to pack things that fold flatter. I tend to be cold all the time, and have always like to pack those great chunky wool sweaters, but gave them up for a few more layers and merino wool. Also- I sear by the Space Bags that you see on TV. They really flatten out your clothes to give you more space in your bag!!
Jun 3rd, 2003, 09:25 AM

I recently got back from a 2 week trip to Ireland.
I checked my 25" rolling suitcase ( with the 2-3" expansion feature) and had a 16" rolling carryon for the plane. - I also had a purse/tote that I had all my tickets, book for the plane, medicines, etc in.
I managed to pack the suitcase 'loose' for the way over, so I had room with the expansion space for extra stuff on the way home.
My carryon has a slot , to put it on top of the big suitcase, so you only have to wheel one of them.

Worked great.

OH - and I always use the Travel space bags - works great, keeps clothes clean and dry in case anything opens, keeps the TSA / security people from handling your clothes, and really helps condense stuff , so you can fit it all in
Jun 3rd, 2003, 09:51 AM

If going by train you need to be able to move your luggage all in one trip, by yourself, from the platform, up narrow steps, and lift it up on to a rack, possibly overhead, concievably in a crowded situation.

How about aiming for a 22-24" with wheels and then a second piece that somehow clips onto it (as mentioned above) so the two roll together as one.

Even traveling by car you may have to move your own suitcases in and out of a hotel, up and down sidewalks or stairs, etc.
Jun 3rd, 2003, 09:57 AM

You can have a bigger suitcase if you take a husband along with you. It works for my wife anyway.
Jun 3rd, 2003, 11:05 AM

What does 22" mean? Including the wheels and handle? The airlines seem to think so. I stand it on its wheels & measure floor to pushed down handle with a yard stick. How do you measure?
Jun 3rd, 2003, 11:20 AM

We always limit ourselves to a 22 carryon each (which we check) and I carry a backpack (daypack) my husband uses a small tote. We have traveled for 8 weeks on the train with this.
Jun 3rd, 2003, 11:28 AM

If I'm going to stay in the same place for the whole trip than I will take a larger bag, maybe 25". But if I'm traveling from town to town than I make due with a 22" and a carry on. Besides the travel space bags the envelopes and pack it cubes from Eagle Creek work wonders!
Jun 3rd, 2003, 11:37 AM

Joanel, the only thing that really matters is, What can YOU manage?

Are you traveling alone? Will there be narrow stairways? Long train/metro corridors? Imagine the worst part of your trip, hauling-wise. How much can you manage in that situation?
Jun 3rd, 2003, 12:31 PM
Original Poster

there will be two of us. one trip will have a car. another trip will go between 2 cities by train. assuming there are the 2 of us - getting the train. can we hand the bags up to each other?
Jun 3rd, 2003, 12:39 PM

Joanel--yes, you can hand the bags up. We will normally have 2 suitcases in the 27-28" size range, and have never had a problem. Of course, easiest of all would be to carry no luggage, and the more luggage and the bigger the luggage, the less easy it is. But we've never found dealing with two adult size suitcases a big deal (not since we left our backpacking days behind us at any rate). Again, we aren't one-night-in-a-place type travellers. Maybe when we get older and lose some strength, it could be a problem--but hopefully we'll have enough money by then that we'll hire porters to carry our luggage.
Jun 3rd, 2003, 02:00 PM
Original Poster

is there a place on the train to store bags that size - 27-28", thinking of italy - venice to florence.
thanks
Jun 3rd, 2003, 03:13 PM

On a train, you normally have a couple options - you bring your bags up the steps into the car and leave them on racks at the front of each car, OR you put them in the overhead rack above your seat or sometimes a small space between seats.

(For janeg): When we speak of 22", the exact measurement doesn't really matter these days. You *used* to be able to take a 22" roller on the plane as a carryon, no problem. But recently many airlines are much more strict and go by weight as well as size. So even when I am using a 22" rolling suitcase, I check it thru. But once I'm traveling, on trains, taxis, etc. later, it is an easy size for me to manage solo female.

I know it is a very personal decision, but to me (only 4 trips to Europe so far but you learn quick!) there's nothing so important to make it worth dragging around a full-size suitcase. And believe me, I do take nice clothes, several pairs of shoes, all my toiletries and cosmetics, a paperback or two, etc.
Jun 3rd, 2003, 04:07 PM

Someone on this board was kind enough to point out to me that 2 large bags may not fit in the trunk of a rental car depending on the size.
Jun 3rd, 2003, 06:45 PM

Some of the rental cars I saw wouldn't hold 2 medium size bags either.
Jun 3rd, 2003, 09:06 PM

Always take less than you think you need. Everything has become more casual and no one but you and your travel partner(s) will know that you wore the same thing last nite!! I learned the hard way- taking too much stuff can really put a damper on a trip. I now rinse Tshirts/undies/socks/even jeans in the sink in the evening, hang to dry on the hot water pipes in bathroom (they are usually mounte don the outside of the wall for wome reason...) and they are always dry by the morning!! I always bring one nice outfit, just in case...

pack light!!!!!
Jun 4th, 2003, 02:22 AM

Nyccoffeegirl, in addition to you and your travel partner, everyone who views your travel photos will know you wore the same thing last night! LOL But then again, isn't that what Photoshop is for? : )
Jun 4th, 2003, 03:44 AM

My SIL is a *heavy* packe who assumed that, like her, I wore each outfit only one time per trip. When she looked at my travel photos, she thought we had done *lots* of things in one day!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -

FODOR'S VIDEO