Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Safe hostel for solo Asian in Rome, Paris

Old Sep 4th, 2007, 07:00 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I mistakenly posted this in United States forum. I have to redo here.

=========
Hi Fodorites!

Since I'm on a tight budget, I would most likely end up staying in hostels. I'm a petite Asian lady (5'2" 125 lbs), travelling alone. I don't have any martial arts skills. I can shout "HI-YA!", as if that's enough to scare off an intruder. Any suggestions for nice and safe hostels in Rome and Paris?
Old Sep 4th, 2007, 10:14 PM

The best thing you can do is start reading reviews avidly. There have been a (very) few reports of serious sexual harassment by staff at some hostels, and the best way to uncover such reports is to read up on these places. Try these:
http://www.hostelz.com
http://www.hostelworld.com
http://www.bugeurope.com

The hostel that I hear most consistently praised is the Beehive Hostel in Rome. It seems to meet your requirements well.

For Paris, I would probably consider the MIJE hostels - particularly the Maubisson Latin Quarter location or the Marais location.

Most French women are approximately your size, so from that point of view, I don't think you have to worry more than any other woman.
Old Sep 5th, 2007, 09:14 AM

I do think you should read reviews on the hostel websites, they talk about quite a few of them. I've never heard of an hostel in Paris as being unsafe -- some just may be nicer or in a better area than others.

I think they also have some hostel reviews on www.eurotrip.com

MIJE hostels are a good idea if you can get in (for Paris). Here's a website of a group of several Parisian hostels -- I think they are okay from what I've heard.
http://www.cheaphostel.com/

The YOung & Happy is in a very good location on rue Mouffetard. Of course, I guess they are young if the name is correct. I have no idea how it compares to other hostels in niceness.
Old Sep 5th, 2007, 10:00 AM

How about checking a couple of convents? They should certainly be safe no matter how petite you are.
Old Sep 5th, 2007, 01:10 PM

Check out this women's hostel in Rome:
www.casainternazionaledelledonne.org

In Italian, but there is an English version or click on the header "Foresteria Orsa Maggiore" to read the information (multilingual) on the lodgings.

Seems like a very interesting place, an international women's organization. I thought about it for a previous trip but our plans changed (one husband joined us women, so a women-only hostel was out) but it sounds nice.

You can read the details on the site but there are rooms with various prices from singles w/bath to dorm style. There is an on-site cafe, library and various classes seem to be offered.

Have you been to Rome before? The only thing is the location - I love this Trastevere area, but you are not right in the center of some of the "typical" Rome sites.

On the other hand, you can easily get to them, and Trastevere has many shops, galleries and restaurants to keep you occupied...
Old Sep 5th, 2007, 03:47 PM
Original Poster

Hi Fodorites! Many thanks for your input!
Old Sep 5th, 2007, 07:01 PM

Hi calico1, for 8 days last trip (Feb 2006) I stayed at Le Village in Montmartre. If you don't veer west of Place d'Anvers over into Pigalle or east into Barbes-Rochechouart you'll find yourself in a very safe and charming area. Head north of the hostel to explore Montmartre.

The hostel is inexpensive and includes free continental breakfast. Some rooms have views of Sacre Coeur!
http://www.villagehostel.fr/hotel2.htm

For 24€ you can stay in a dorm room which has 6 beds. During my time there I had Australians, Germans, Italians and Japanese as roomies. I made friends with this fellow while staying there:
http://www.pbase.com/beatchick/image/57132211
Old Sep 6th, 2007, 03:52 AM
Original Poster

Hi Beatchick, thanks for your input. Love, love your photos! What kind of camera/s do you have?
Old Sep 8th, 2007, 06:18 AM

Hi calico1, it's an Olympus C-5500 Sportszoom. I'm glad you like the photos! Have a GREAT TIME on your trip.

Just wanted to let you know that I generally travel to Paris solo and I felt really safe at that youth hostel. The staff warmed up after a bit (I mean, they are so busy keeping the place clean and everyone happy). I befriended one guy from Brazil; we talked endlessly about film (one particularly memorable conversation was about Orson Welles and his contribution to modern cinema) and he showed me various movie theatre websites.

One of the cool things about traveling solo is the people with whom you'll meet and talk. If you travel with others most people will not intrude on your conversations (which is a good and polite thing). I also like meandering alone and exploring different areas of Paris. I like not having to talk for hours unless I need or want to. I like reading books on the métro with no one to disturb my absorption. I'm a mom of 2 verbally expressive teenagers (and I encourage that), I'm with a man who loves to regale us with stories (he's got that Irish bent for storytelling, is hilarious, and makes life fun), I work 60-70 hrs per week sometimes and of necessity must talk to people, I have friends that I help out. Although I love all these people and want to give them my undivided attention, sometimes, just sometimes, I crave alone time, quiet time, me time. And for a week or so I get that in Paris!! If you are generally an introspective person then you too will enjoy solo travel.

The breakfast is pretty decent (all the coffee, tea or hot chocolate you'd want plus a hard roll and a croissant), there's a communal fridge in the breakfast area and you can keep a few of your things in there (just write your name on the items). I stashed my yogurt that I'd purchased (across the street at a small grocery store called Ed) in the fridge . If you're into fabrics, this street and surrounding streets are replete with fabric shops.

If you do decide to stay at Le Village be sure to reserve well in advance. I saw many, many people turned away because they hoped to get a room by just showing up. It was usually filled to capacity (and this was in the February low season).