Ryan Air Question

Search

Ryan Air Question

Search this Thread

Old Mar 24th, 2004, 02:38 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ryan Air Question

I was on the Ryan Air Website looking for a cheap flight from Rome to Germany for an overnight. It said the outgoing flight was 1.99 Euros. Is this one euro and ninety-nive cents? Is this too good to be true? I have heard that in Europe a decimal is the equalivent to the comma in the U.S. Ex. $1.99 $1,OOO.
Any information would be a great help
Old Mar 24th, 2004, 02:42 PM

That is the correct price, but it doesn't include various fees and taxes charged by the airport and government agencies.
Old Mar 24th, 2004, 02:43 PM

a , is the same as a .

That airfare is 1.99 euro PLUS a lot of taxes and fees. Even w/ the taxes it is still very cheap - this is a common thing on Ryan Air. Sometimes you can fly for "free" plus taxes/fees.
Old Mar 24th, 2004, 02:46 PM
rex

The taxes are not THAT bad; they are spelled out to you if you attempt to book, typically 20-30 euro, depending on the countries involved.

Anyhow, as the other have said, the price is quoted as it looks, one euro, 99 cents. Might end up 30 dollars with the taxes.

And yet some people STILL will take a train for a route like this! I don't get it.

Best wishes,

Rex
Old Mar 24th, 2004, 02:51 PM
Original Poster

Thanks so much for all your information. It was a great help, and the what I REALLY needed to hear.

THANKS
Old Mar 24th, 2004, 03:23 PM

Yes, RyanAir really are that cheap. Don't expect any frills or refunds, though. Be careful as they keep their costs down by flying into minor/secondary airports. Their airport in Rome is Ciampino and in Frankfurt is Hahn (well out of the city).
Old Mar 24th, 2004, 11:47 PM

You can easily do a simulation on the Ryanair website by using the "book now" button. It will give you the exact price, all taxes included, for your journey.
Their airport in Rome is Ciampino, which is even closer to the city than Fiumicino. Most of the time, though, Ryanair indeed uses smaller airports (shorter check-in times!) that are a bit out of the way but they do provide shuttles (to be paid) to the city centres.
As Rex said, I, too, cannot understand that people still take a train for routes like this.
Old Mar 25th, 2004, 03:44 PM
Original Poster

Would going to some destination like Barcelona for one day be a good idea?
Can I see some of the main attractions in enough time?
Old Mar 25th, 2004, 05:55 PM

Ryanair flies to Girona, not Barcelona, so you'd need a bus in to Barcelona (which I think Ryanair provides). You're supposed to be at the airport two hours before departure, and two hours before arrival. If your aim is to eat lunch in Barcelona, it's possible probably (depending on Ryanair schedules). Otherwise, you wouldn't be able to see very much.
Old Mar 25th, 2004, 06:38 PM
rex

Day trip to Barcelona from where? From Frankfurt Hahn? Seems do-able if you are staying close enough to Hahn to deal with the transport to and from the airport.

Ryanair provides all the details of the schedule-corrdinated buses. See http://www.ryanair.ie/destinfo03/des...celona_bus.pdf

You land in Girona at 8:20, and arrive in Barcelona at 9:55; The return bus departs from Barcelona at 19:00, getting you to the airport at 20:10 for your 21:55 flight.

Long day, but no worse than the Channel tunnel train day trip between Paris and London that a lot of people do - - or at least they sure talk about it here a lot.

Wouldn't be for me, unless there was some specific objective you were trying to meet.

We did the same thing for a college visit (University of Stirling), staying near Stansted and "day tripping" to Prestwick ("Glasgow", Scotland), but we didn't really play tourist much that day. We even made it a point to be back for supper in England (had a flight home the next day, and we could NOT afford to miss the flight back to England, so we didn't take the last flight of the day).

Best wishes,

Rex
Old Mar 26th, 2004, 11:06 AM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone for all the help