Recently fly AerLingus to/from BWI??

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 9th, 2004, 07:21 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I will be flying to Ireland in April with my 3 children. Does Aer Lingus now have individual seat back entertainment systems like BA and USAirways transatlantic flights or should I bring our portable DVD player ( which I prefer NOT to do) ??
Old Mar 9th, 2004, 07:23 AM

I flew to New York last December with them and they didn't have individual entertainment systems. It's possible that some of their aircraft do have them, but the one I was on didn't!
Old Mar 9th, 2004, 07:24 AM

Last time I flew Aer Lingus it did not but that was a while ago. Do you really have to bring a dvd player to entertain your kids? This is a bit over the top to me when you are only travelling for a few hours. How old are the children?
Old Mar 9th, 2004, 07:31 AM
Original Poster

Yes- they could live without the entertainment but the DVD player is smaller than a PC, so if I have it why not bring it?? Was just hoping to avoid 1 additional carry on...
Old Mar 9th, 2004, 07:35 AM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
I flew in May out of Boston and they had seatback videos.

However, I suggest you call and ask specifically two things. First if they do have them, and second if they don't, do they allow the DVD, because the flight crew was making a lot of people turn off their Gameboys, video on a laptop, CD players for the duration of the flight, not just take off and landing. So you might take the DVD and not be able to use it at all.
Old Mar 9th, 2004, 08:15 AM

I just flew Aer Lingus twice last week in and out of Chicago. Neither flight had seat back systems--just the ones above the center section and the usual satellite ones. They definitely do not allow any electronic type devices at all--gameboys, etc. They announce that several times during the flight. So you'll just have to bear with the bore and try to watch the movie or sleep.
Old Mar 9th, 2004, 09:51 AM

i flew aer lingus 2 years ago out of chicago and they all had individual screens and headset. They played some current movies I had not seen before. Why dont you invest in a gameboy? At least its small enough for your kids to carry in their backpack.
Old Mar 9th, 2004, 09:56 AM

I flew Aer Lingus our of Boston in October and they did not have seatback entertainment. They also asked people to turn off whatever it was they were watching. It wasn't a gameboy, but I think it may have been a dvd player.
Old Mar 9th, 2004, 10:02 AM

They specifically mention Gameboys as not being allowed.
Old Mar 9th, 2004, 10:27 AM
Original Poster

Its begininng to sound like sleeping & reading are the only options. What's with no gameboys?? - I have never run into that on any other domestic or international flight. Why is Aer Lingus so strict?
Old Mar 9th, 2004, 04:56 PM

No c.d. players,no radios,no dvd players.no computers.Aer lingus only allows personal cassette players on board to be played.Son-in-law is a pilot with Continental and scratches his head over this policy
Old Mar 10th, 2004, 01:18 AM

We flew AerLingus (flight 118) AirBus 330 BWI-SNN 26 Feb: No individual Seat Back entertainment systems, just the video screens above the Center section; and I heard a Flight Attendant tell a passenger that he was not allowed to use his DVD player during the flight.

It's a 6-hour flight (we arrived SNN about 15 min early).
Old Mar 10th, 2004, 04:37 AM

use to show films on long haul flights, not sure do they allow electronic equipment to be used during flights certainly they stopped me playing my cd player few years back now may have been during take off and landing. so dvd might be big drag if you cant use it.
staying in killarney while there give me a shout at www.glenahouse.com great guesthouse wont disappoint with nice family rooms.

Old Mar 10th, 2004, 02:19 PM

Tim Tim Tim .....
Old Mar 26th, 2004, 11:20 AM

I just got back this week and they DO NOT allow laptops, DVD's, etc. We hauled about 16 pounds of computer batteries onto the plane for a computer we could not use. However, the kids did watch movies on the laptop at the hotel on the day they were sick. If I could do it again, I would fly another airline or bring the DVD player for the hotel and not bother to bring the extra batteries for the plane.