Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

ATTENDING FRENCH OPEN IN PARIS. WHERE TO STAY

Mar 25th, 2004, 06:54 PM
Original Poster

WE ARE ATTENDING THE FRENCH OPEN IN PARIS. I AM WONDERING WHERE TO STAY. WE WOULD LIKE TO MAKE AS FEW STOPS ON THE METRO AS POSSIBLE. WE PREFER THE MARAIS,LATIN QUARTER. IS THIS TOO FAR AWAY? THANKS
Mar 25th, 2004, 07:10 PM

Roland Garros is at the far west edge of the city and not in fact in Paris at all, but rather in Boulogne. The closest arrondissement is the 16th, but if you want to stay in the Latin quarter, Metro line 10 will get you close to the stadium without the need to change lines, but you'll be on the train for 12-15 stops. Staying in the Marais would require a couple of line changes and would take even longer.
Mar 25th, 2004, 07:54 PM

I was to Roland Garros for the French Open about 7 years ago. I was staying at my friend's apartment in Neuilly at the time. Roland Garros was just a 15 minute cab ride away, going through the Bois de Boulogne. I know there is a Marriot in Neuilly. Looking at my Metro map, you would have to change lines several times to get from Pont Neuilly to Auteuil. Hope this helps.
Mar 26th, 2004, 08:41 AM

The Regent's Garden is a pleasant hotel in the 16th, on a street with good restaurants and a small grocery store.
Mar 26th, 2004, 11:55 AM

I would definitely choose the Latin Qtr over the Marais for that purpose -- although there are other stops more convenient on the no. 10 line, of course. Someone just asked this question not too long ago -- you could stay near the Odeon metro stop or Vaneau/Duroc and be closer on the 10 line.

I don't know if there is more than one with this name, but the BW Regents Garden hotel isn't in the 16th, it's in the 17th arr. north of Ternes, and that hotel wouldn't be a very convenient location.

If you are going more than once, you might just stay in the 16th nar the Michel-Ange metro stops or that area. That is a very nice area, actually, so you could take advantage of the opportunity. There are some beautiful Art Nouveau buildings in that area. If you want something fairly modest in that area, I'd suggest the Queens Hotel, a nice small 3* French hotel with doubles less than 100 euro (TV, minibar, most rooms have AC).

www.queens-hotel-fr

I haven't stayed there but saw a nice writeup in NY Times and good customer reviews; it looks good value. There are a couple other midrange hotels in that are, like the Hotel Poussin (see www.venere.com) or Villa d'Auteuil (http://www.france-hotel-guide.com/h7...ladauteuil.htm)

but I don't think they looks as nice (although cheap).

If you really want to be more in the middle of Paris, that won't do, however, and I think you should stay around Odeon metro.