Running in Paris?

Mar 28th, 2009, 07:08 PM
Original Poster

Running in Paris?

I am going to Paris this summer and I wondering if anyone knew of any running paths or particularly good areas for a morning or afternoon run around Paris? I am a female and 18 so I would prefer areas that are known to be safe. As far as distance goes I am thinking somewhere from 3 to 5 miles. If you have any info I would appreciate it. Thanks
Mar 28th, 2009, 07:16 PM

You should be able to get enough exercise by walking.
Mar 28th, 2009, 07:28 PM
Original Poster

Well I am a cross country runner so I preferably need to run to stay in shape. Thanks though.
Mar 28th, 2009, 08:27 PM

Anywhere you would want to run in Paris is going to be "safe". If you want terrain, look into Parc des Buttes Chaumont in the 19th. In general the Seine is nice to run along. If you don't already have Google Earth, I'd suggest downloading it. It makes it fairly easy to plan courses distance wise. For example Starting at Pont Neuf, running to and crossing the river at Pont d'Iéna and back to Pont Neuf ends up being just a bit over 5 miles if I remember right.
Mar 28th, 2009, 08:27 PM

Hi ccb. Lots of people run in the Tuileries and Luxembourg Gardens. The Tuileries and adjoining green space have lots of paths that make for a good run. Luxembourg Gardens are a bit smaller, but people definitely run in them as well. You'd just have to circle a bit to get to 3 miles.
Mar 28th, 2009, 08:30 PM
Original Poster

thank you very much! the gardens sound great and google earth is a smart idea
Mar 28th, 2009, 09:46 PM

I love running while on vacation - I see so many different places and things, especially as I run in the morning, before most tourists are out and about. Often, I'll see places that I can return to later in the day, with my family.

Where you run may depend primarily on where your hotel is. I'm sure some people take a bus or metro in their running clothes to get to Luxembourg Gardens, or wherever they want to run, but I don't like to do that.

We always stay in the 6th, and I love to run from there, along the Seine, and around the Isle St. Louis and by Notre Dame (probably about 3 miles). Theoretically, you could run along the Seine for miles, to the Eiffel Tower and back (though you have to cross the street at every block). Often, it's just me and the street cleaners out in the morning. I'm a small woman, and I feel perfectly safe, though a little conspicuous. There are more runners these days, but still not to many female runners. I try to guess the nationalities of the other runner based on their running clothes. I could run in Luxembourg Gardens from our hotel in the 6th, but I've always chosen the views of the Siene and Notre Dame instead.

Other places to find good Paris routes are Runner's World, a website called runtheplanet, and mapmyrun.com. I've used the latter to plot courses and distances in locations all over Europe; it's pretty handy.

Enjoy!
Mar 28th, 2009, 10:00 PM
Original Poster

Lexma90, I agree that running is a great way to experience a new place as well as acquaint yourself to where everything is much faster then walking. Thank you for your information.It was perfect as I will be staying in the 6th!
Mar 29th, 2009, 12:23 AM
tod

ccb - One of the most popular running places is on top of the Viaduc des Arts, called the PROMENADE PLANTEE.
You can start from metro Bastille, run past the Opera house on rue de Lyon which leads into rue Daumesnil. Look for the steps quite soon then that go up onto the promenade.
I would get a good detailed Paris map and then photocopy the route just to pop in your pocket or you could do it off the internet I suppose.
The main Promenade with cultivated flowers and shrubs and lovingly tendered only goes as far as Jardin de Reuilly, but when we did the walk we carried on up Allee Vivaldi, took a look at the wonderful old Gare de Reuilly and finally walked down onto Ave.Daumesnil again towards Place Felix Eboue where there are cafes and the metro back. Promenade Plantee seems to carry on as far as Port De Montempoivre but I could easily be wrong. You will meet a fair number of other joggers striding out and having conversations with companion joggers at the same time!
Mar 29th, 2009, 01:11 PM

On Sundays the road next to the Seine (on the right bank) is closed down to cars and is just for runners, bikers, pedestrians. I enjoyed runs along this route frequently. I also second the recommendation for the Promenade Plantee. The only thing I would say is that the pollution is pretty bad and I was there in February when it was cold so I imagine it might be a bit rough in the summer, so best to get out there early.
Jan 27th, 2011, 04:58 AM

You can barely get in or out of Parc Monceau in the 6th without being run over by joggers (many of them US ex-pats) on the perimeter path.
Jan 27th, 2011, 07:37 AM

Take a look at-

http://www.run.com/city.asp?loc=Paris+FR

Have fun!
Jan 27th, 2011, 07:58 AM

More on the Promenade Plantée:

http://anyportinastorm.proboards.com...ay&thread=4088
Jan 27th, 2011, 11:07 AM

I have noticed the growth of running in Paris over the years. Not so long ago, it was only expats and obvious military and paramilitary types.

Park Monceau(maybe in the 1st?) is a bit small, but the Luxembourg and Tuileries would both be great, depending on where you are staying.

Road rules in France and such road rules as exist in Paris are different enough that I would avoid street running. The whole "share the road with a runner" concept is not something that is very far advanced there, and drivers won't be looking for you or prepared to deal with you when you are in the road or crossing corners without the light on your side.