El Rastro Flea Market, Madrid

Jan 24th, 2011, 03:59 PM
Original Poster

El Rastro Flea Market, Madrid

Has anyone been there and NOT been accosted by pick pockets?? We love to visit flea markets when we travel, but the guide books have us intimidated.
Jan 26th, 2011, 05:41 AM

when I lived there as a student 30 years ago....never was accosted. and I went to the Rastro many times. I think it's just the same common sense one uses in all cities. just be aware of your surroundings and don't fall for the tricks. and enjoy!!
Jan 26th, 2011, 05:50 AM

Have been and not accosted; Barcelona Metro: entirely different story but none of it would keep me away.

The flea market can be a VERY crowded situation both in terms of folks moving between the many displays and within some of those rather massive clothing displays themselves.

Simple answer is to keep valuables well-protected and you shouldn't have any difficulty. DON'T stay away because of what some guidebook says..you can easily overcome the dangers despite the fact that the pickpockets are VERY skilled; don't give them anything to steal.
Jan 26th, 2011, 06:18 AM

After Rastro enjoy a typical 'vermut de grifo' (sweet vermouth from the tap) at CRUZ (Plaza de Cascorro corner with Calle Maldonadas) or SAME (Calle Maldonadas 9). Then a few creative tapas at TXIRIMIRI (Calle Humilladero 6). Have a good time!
Jan 26th, 2011, 06:30 AM

Yes. There is a large police presence there.

Or you can go on Monday when no one is there.
Jan 26th, 2011, 07:38 AM

Thirty years is a long time tobyo, but El Rastro pretty much remains the same. I have better things to do on Sunday morning in Madrid.
Jan 26th, 2011, 05:39 PM

Rastro today is not worth visiting! Just cheap,cheap imported stuff! Go if you enjoy being part of a crowd and looking at non-Spanish items!
Jan 26th, 2011, 06:04 PM

Hi Barbara

We visited the market and had no problems. However commonsense is always required anywhere. I suggest visiting opening time as it starts getting crowded later in the morning. I'm not a fan of flea markets but I found this one fun. You can buy some cheap gifts for people back home. If you're travelling with teenagers they will find El Rastro cheap shopping.
Jan 26th, 2011, 08:12 PM

I also went a couple of years ago without any incidents. In my opinion it's been one of the best flea markets I've been too while on vacation. We went early as thats what we do at home and I'm glad we did. They were just setting up so we really got to look and shop but by the time we made it to the end, the place was packed. It didn't bother us though as we were done by that time. As others have said, just use common sense and you should be fine.
Jan 27th, 2011, 11:17 AM

Many people only stroll the wide Ribera de Curtidores but hanging around the narrow streets at both sides you can find a more 'real' Rastro.
Jan 27th, 2011, 11:38 AM

Just was there in Sept, no problems at all. We love to go to flea markets too and enjoyed this one. There is so much to see. Alot of antiques and such. Be mindful of your surroundings and you'll be fine. Have fun!