Four hours in Paris

Search this Thread

Old Dec 1st, 2011, 12:58 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Four hours in Paris

Hi there,
Is this possible?
Start at Place de la Concorde, go along Champs- Elysee, to the Arc de Triomphe, go to Eiffel Tower (only to see - not able to go to top), and then go to Louvre. Only to see and take photos from the outside.
All on foot within 4 hours?
We'll be back someday to "do it right" but for now, is this possible?
How about Galeries Lafayette as well?
Will take Metro to save time but would like to experience the walking tour.
What do you think, I value all of your opinions and be harsh if you have to.
Thanks.
Old Dec 1st, 2011, 01:08 PM

Probably possible if you are fast walkers and really don't want to see much of anything. If I had 4 hours in Paris, I would take a Seine cruise from near Notre Dame - the Vedettes du Pont Neuf. You will see most everything on your list and will not have to spend time on the Champs Elysee, which is not worth your precious time. What time of the day will you be in Paris?

You will still have a little time to walk around a site of your choice.
Old Dec 1st, 2011, 01:24 PM

Of course it's possible, it's just a matter of distance and your walking speed and how fast you want to walk. That's roughly a triangle, each side being about 2.5-3 km (between the Arc and Eiffel is the shortest). So it's probably around 9-10 km total distance. I would hope you could walk 2.5 km in an hour, that isn't very fast (less than 2 miles per hour). YOU can't dawdle anywhere, obviously, but that's just a regular steady walking speed.
Old Dec 1st, 2011, 01:32 PM

It can be done....not the most interesting way to see Paris (I'd opt for the Vedettes de Pont Neuf), but, if this is what you want to see, you can do so as long as you keep moving!
Old Dec 1st, 2011, 01:40 PM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
you could get a boat down the seine from the eiffel tower to Notre Dame, [get the Batobus which is only a couple of €] then walk up past the Louvre to the tuileries and finally up the champs, [or get the metro] of you have the time/energy.

IMHO that would be a better way round - you get the best of Paris that way, see some of it from the river, and have the chance of bailing out before the champs elysees which is the least impressive part of your route.
Old Dec 1st, 2011, 02:06 PM
Original Poster

Thanks! I didn't realize that the Champs-Elysees would be the least impressive. I thought it was one of the "must-sees".
We are good walkers and will be in Paris in the afternoon. There are four of us which is always slower than one or two though.
So, in order of preference, it would be Eiffel Tower, Louvre Pyramid and if time, the Galeries Lafayette. Unless you can recommend something not to be missed. Our drop off and pick up spot is near the Place de la Concord.
Old Dec 1st, 2011, 02:18 PM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Champs is impressive as a ROADWAY BUT IT IS SATURATED WITH UNINTERESTING PLACES, SHOPS TO LOOK At. Sorry keys stick,
I think taking buses to the places you want to see will be more fun and you'll see more
Old Dec 1st, 2011, 02:23 PM

I'm not sure I understand the Galeries Lafayette stop. Will you be there over the holidays and want to see the decorations, do you want to shop or just see the buildings (not that impressive without Christmas decor).
Old Dec 2nd, 2011, 03:45 AM

As far as exterior beauty, I would not bother with Galleries Lafayette, but would opt instead for the STUNNING Opera Garnier. It is right by GL. To me, it is the most beautiful building in Paris.

I do agree that the Champs Elysee offers a pretty view from Place de la Concorde looking toward the Arc. But as far as walking it, it is quite crowded and full of chain stores. I find it unappealing. The Grand Palais and Petit Palais are also lovely to look at and are situated at the foot of Place de la Concorde.

A boat or bus are both good options. Notre Dame is impressive from the Seine (anywhere, really).
Old Dec 2nd, 2011, 05:59 AM

I agree with mamcalice...the cruise is your most efficient way to see lots of sights in a short time. Buy your ticket online in advance and save money:

http://www.vedettesdupontneuf.com/billet_en.php

You can use the printout at any time (as opposed to most other cruises that require a specified date & time for online discount purchase).

Then get off the boat (at Pont Neuf on Ile de la Cite) and walk to see Notre Dame perhaps followed by a short walk around the left bank using a walk from one of the major tour books.

That ought to finish out your 4 hours.

Also: don't waste time on Champs Elysee -- now filled with lots of chain stores.

SS
Old Dec 2nd, 2011, 06:02 AM

Sure, 4 hrs if JUST about enough to get a feel for Paris, though your feet might be hurting afterwards.
How about:
- an hour for Eiffel Tower / Trocadero / Champs Elysées (avoid the shops there, but DO go, as it is spectacular)
- an hour for Louvre (not going inside) and Tuileries gardens and general walking around central Paris + meal
- an hour in Le Marais (DO take advantage of the shopping)
- an hour in St Germain (likewise!)
Then, plan on returning for a week, at a more leisurely pace!
Old Dec 2nd, 2011, 06:45 AM

Walking only...with a little water in between

Metro to Palais Royal stop. Have a look at Palais Royal, nice little park and old square. Look up Avenue de L'Opera, will see Opera Garnier building in distance.

Can stay on this side of Rue Rivoli and walk under arcaded walkway. At some point cross street and enter Tuileries Gardens. Pyramid, nice pics of Louvre, the gardens, sculpture, the pond,etc.. Head towards the exit where the l;arge column is located.

Place de la Concorde. views up Champs to Arc, Eiffel tower, fountain,etc..

If you like right, up rue royale, will see Madeleine church. Also street where Maxim's is located (past its prime), and a Laduree pastry shop. If you were to backtrack a bit on Rivol;i and go up Rue de la Paix come to Place Vendome. Ritz Hotel and high end jewellers in this open 'square'.

Walk up Champs to Arc (or could take Metro for couple of stops)

If lafayette is a must, could take Metro from here to there. Or go opposite direction...

Take Metro from there to Trocadero. Walk between two Palais Chaillot buildings to get best view of Eiffel. Cross over river to tower.

Once done, take batobus water taxi to Notre Dame stop

http://www.batobus.com/english/Batob...ne-escales.htm

At Notre Dame, views of Cathedral, Seine. If you have time , cross over small bridge to Ile St Louis. Nice small island, with old manisons and good small main street with nice shops.
Old Dec 2nd, 2011, 06:47 AM

Other option is to do one of the city coach tours, such as Cityrama or Parisvision, or perhaps even a hop-on hop-off bus tour.
Old Dec 2nd, 2011, 08:38 AM

Don't bother with the Champs or take the bus that goes from teh Arc down to Pl. Concorde.
A hop on bus tour would be better and more comprehensive. Takes an hour.
Old Dec 2nd, 2011, 09:08 AM

Here's my 4 hour walking itinerary (at a leisurely pace) going in a line from east to west. Start at Île Saint-Louis and walk up its central street (rue Saint-Louis en l'Île)and cross over to Île-de-la-Cité to see Notre Dame. Walk up to the bridge Pont Neuf and cross to the right bank and walk along the sidewalk bordering the river until you reach the Louvre. Walk into the Cour Carrée and from there go through the portal to enter the Louvre courtyard and see the pyramid. Walk past the pyramid and take a right at the Place du Carrousel. When you exit the portal the Avenue de l'Opéra will be right in front of you. Walk up it to the Opéra building. Take a minute and walk into the lobby to check out the over the top decor. Exit the Opéra and start walking back down Avenue de l'Opéra and take a right on rue de la Paix. This will bring you into the ever so posh Place Vendôme. Continue straight ahead and you'll be at the entrance to the Tuileries Gardens. Enter and take a right to enjoy a quick stroll until you reach the Place de la Concorde. From here walk along the sidewalk overlooking the river on the right bank to the Pont Alexandre III (the most beautiful bridge in Paris). Before crossing the bridge to the left bank turn to your right and admire the Grand Palais and The Petit Palais. Now cross the bridge and walk towards Les Invalides and its impressive gold dome (under which Napoléon is entombed). Before reaching Les Invalides take a right on rue de Grenelle. A few blocks down on your right is rue Cler, if you're one of those people who feels this is a must see in Paris. Otherwise keep going straight down rue de Grenelle and this will lead you to the Champ de Mars. Turn to your right and you'll see that big space needle looking thingy, called The Tower of something or other.
Old Dec 2nd, 2011, 10:24 AM

That's a full use of the time
Old Dec 2nd, 2011, 01:27 PM

Turn to your right and you'll see that big space needle looking thingy, called The Tower of something or other. >>

that made me smile, FMT, as it took me a few seconds to work it out!

not feeling very bright ce soir.
Old Dec 2nd, 2011, 01:32 PM

It's very easy to find the "thingy" annhig, it's near the river at the far end of the grassy knoll.
Old Dec 2nd, 2011, 02:16 PM

anywhere near the book depository?
Old Dec 2nd, 2011, 02:32 PM

Yes, I think that's the big white building across the river.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -