Rostock/Warnemunde or Berlin

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 15th, 2007, 08:43 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We will be docking in Warnemunde on Tuesday, June 12 as part of a Baltic cruise and I cannot decide if we should do Warnemunde and Rostock on our own or the ships excursion to Berlin. Any suggestions?
Old Jan 15th, 2007, 09:40 AM

cairmary:

Berlin has become a wrod class city and fascinating throughout. I would opt to see the grandeur that was once a pile of rubble. We've visited twice since the wall fell, and found the last visit ('05) to be astounding with the progress made since '93. The tour will at least hit the highlights of the city, which is edging into the Paris, London, Rome circle in my estimation.
Old Jan 15th, 2007, 09:41 AM

Sorry for the typo above ....."world class", of course!

Stu T.
Old Jan 15th, 2007, 10:42 AM

I really like Berlin and all that it has to offer but please be aware of the <b>length of time</b> those cruise ship transfers to and from Berlin actually take. You may find yourself &quot;on the road&quot; a significant amount of time.

If you are going on the ship's transfer but not taking a resultant ship-arranged tour of the city I suggest you be VERY organized because you won't have a whole lot of time to waste.

If yu haven't been before this is one of those times when a completely organized excursion might be best.
Old Jan 15th, 2007, 01:50 PM
Original Poster

would we regret not seeing Berlin? I'm wondering if Rostock and Warnemunde will give us enough to do for that day. We will be in port for about 12 hours. We are also going to be in London for 4 days and St. Petersburg for 2...so will be seeing plenty of museums......
Old Jan 15th, 2007, 02:50 PM

It depends whether you really want to see Berlin.

Rostock and Warnemunde is a far more relaxing day but neither have unmissable sights. Warnemunde is a very sweet seaside town with a nice beach, Rostock is east to get to on the train for a half day. Berlin will be really rushed, but if you haven't visited it before, won't be returning in the near future and want to see it, it's be worth doing.

It depends on your priorities really.
Old Feb 13th, 2007, 01:46 PM

We may be on the same cruise you're on, and we've wondered the same thing. We'll probably opt for a less hectic day in Warnemunde and Rostock rather than spend 6 hours traveling to and from Berlin, and then having a very limited time to send in this major city.
Old Feb 13th, 2007, 07:15 PM

If you want to have a less hectic day by going to Berlin, check out going by train to the old hanseatic cy of Luebeck. We did that and thoroughly enjoyed the experience. We had a pleasant day sightseeing in L. (old guild houses, city square, Thomas Mann hoiuse etc.), had a great meal and later afternooin coffee with marzipan (a Luebeck specialty) and were back on the ship long before the Berlin crown returned exhausted.

For trains, check www.bahn.de. The change of trains in Rostock is no problem. If you settle for 2nd class tickets, you probably can get some type of discounted day pass for the train. Check that out at the ticket counter. We had 1st class tickets. Was a bit more relaxing. The station is right within walking distance from where cruise ships usually dock.
Old Feb 14th, 2007, 08:28 AM

Rostock and Warnem&uuml;nde are nice, but...

...Berlin is a gigantic city! Berlin offers something for everyone - architecture, history, museums, lifestyle - whatever you want (see my GoList http://tinyurl.com/2u8u9p).

Comparing Warnem&uuml;nde/Rostock with Berlin is like choosing between visiting Carmel or San Francisco. You get the point? Carmel is a nice town, but...
Old Feb 14th, 2007, 09:44 AM

I suggest that you see Stralsund. You will see on that it is a fine old Hansa port, well repaired (partly by Polish craftsmen). Lubeck has a lot in common, but is further from Warnemunde, and was heavily bombed in Hitler’s war. Warnemunde and Rostock are not so beautiful. Berlin is different, a world city at a big moment in freedom, but you will have had a world city experience in London, and as people have said you would travel a lot to get there.

The pages www.germanplaces.com/germany-wiki/stralsund?/ say, rightly
This medieval town in Northern Germany attracts visitors with an historical city centre which reminds one of the time after the Thirty Year’s War when Stralsund has been under Swedish control. Imposing churches and great houses of typical red brick gothic gabled architecture let you imagine how powerful Stralsund was once as a member of the Hanseatic League.
Start at the market for a nice city sightseeing tour to see the gates at the amazing city walls and sights like the Church of St Nicholas, the Gothic Wulflamhaus and the Baroque Commander’s House, seat of the old Swedish command headquarters.
In Stralsund port you find the ‘Gorch Fock’, the tall ship which countersank in World War II
It is easy to reach. The reference library of a city near you may have the Thomas Cook European Rail Timetable, and table 830 shows that trains leave Warnemunde at 0822, you change at Rostock 0843 to 0900, and reach Stralsund at 0958. Trains back leave Stralsund at 1800, 2000 and 2200.

Ben Haines, London
[email protected]