Rooms in London to accommodate 3 adults

Sep 22nd, 2010, 10:49 AM
Original Poster

Rooms in London to accommodate 3 adults

Can anyone recommend a nice hotel in London that will accommodate 3 adults comfortably? My husband and I are taking my sister to London and Italy in late May, early June. London hotels are notorious for having small rooms. We don't mind sharing one room as long as we have two beds, but we'd like a larger room if possible or a small Jr. suite. We want a central location and our price range is ideally in the $300/night range. We would also consider an apartment - we'll be there for almost a week. All suggestions welcome.
Sep 22nd, 2010, 12:01 PM

You might want to check www.londontown.com for hotels.
Sep 22nd, 2010, 12:25 PM

Sue beat me to it! Definitely try Londontown/Yes some places do have small rooms, but in over 50 trips to London I have not encountered them. Of course it hardly ever rains when we are there. Maybe the travel gods love me!
Sep 22nd, 2010, 01:26 PM
Original Poster

thanks. I checked out that site and it looks pretty helpful.
On my three visits to London, I've never encountered rain either although we were there in December one time and nearly froze our buns off!!
Sep 22nd, 2010, 05:27 PM

If you would be open to the idea of a B&B, you might check out the rooms available from AtHomeinLondon. In late July this year we had a big room with 3 twin beds, sofa, desk, room to move around (and big bathroom--we actually had the whole, if small, top floor) in the Bayswater area through this agency and it was way under $300/night--less than half that. Not luxurious or fancy but neat, clean, great breakfast, convenient to Bayswater tube stop and everything on Queensway. Kinda ...not attractive from the outuside, and rest of house not ...exquisite or anything fancy, but it was, as I said, clean, safe, roomy, and great for us. We have enjoyed dealing with this agency twice. We stayed in Belgravia in 2008 in another fairly roomy suite in a more modernly updated place, but it only slept 2 (and had not-cooked breakfast). The rooms AtHOmeinLondon offers are "true" B&B's--rooms in a person's house, not a small hotel that offers breakfast like other B&B's in England (which is not a bad thing--just a note). I think there are several accomodations for 3. You probably won't have any kitchen privileges (we could use the refrig in our rooms in Belgravia; this year's in Bayswater did not have access to kitchen) but breakfast is served.
Sep 22nd, 2010, 05:28 PM

Oh, forgot to say that several of their homes I believe will offer a discounted price for staying a week or more. We had discount in 2008 for staying 2 weeks.
Sep 22nd, 2010, 06:01 PM

I would suggest looking at Crescent Hotel in Bloomsbury by Cartwright Gardens. We just stayed there this past week and had a triple room with two twin beds and a double bed although they have rooms for 4 persons too.
The little hotel is in the middle of EVERYTHING-neighborhood with restaurants,pubs,grocery stores,the Brunswick mall and two blocks either way to Kings Cross station or Russell Square tube/train stations.We rode all the way on the tube from Heathrow straight to Russell Square without a change and then walked the last couple blocks!
We were moving my son into his flat just down the street and I seriously couldn't believe how perfect the neighborhood was for getting around and doing things.The Crescent Hotel is run by two generations,the Cockle Family and they seem to understand what travelers want. The included breakfast in the morning is made to order-eggs,bacon,cereal,toast,fruit,etc. Very good!Check it out on Tripadvisor and hope that you can get a booking as it is very busy being near the British Library,British Museum and University College London.The prices are reasonable for London and you will love the ability to be in Bloomsbury at a decent price!
Sep 22nd, 2010, 06:04 PM

re texasbookworm's comment . . .

"The rooms AtHOmeinLondon offers are "true" B&B's--rooms in a person's house, not a small hotel that offers breakfast like other B&B's in England London (which is not a bad thing--just a note)."

(elsewhere in the UK, the vast majority of B&Bs are rooms in homes -- not B&B hotels like predominate in London)

athomeinlondon is a good agency and Londontown is a great resource.

Me personally though, for three adults I'd rent a flat. You'd have much more space and room to spread out. No matter how large a hotel or B&B room is - you'll still be crammed together in one room. In a 1 bedroom flat you'd have a living room w/ sofa sleeper, dining area, full kitchen, and a bedroom -- for about the same ££ as a cramped hotel room.

You are talking about neatly £200 a night. You wouldn't need to spend nearly that much for a decent apartment. In fact -- if you found a wonderful place but it only rents by the week -- you could rent it for 7 days, eat the extra night(s) and still come out ahead. (Though you will find lots of flat that do rent for shorter periods)