Rome Vacation

Old Jun 7th, 2008, 11:26 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rome Vacation

Hello, My Wife and I have arranged for our 25th anniversary to take our two boys 18 and 20 with us on a 12day carnival cruise. Beginning with a 2 day visit to Rome in July 7 to 9, 2008, before we begin our 12day cruise from the port of Civitavecchia. I want to make transport and site seeing easy as possible.
Recommendation:
Most important Rome site seeing advice from experienced visitors. Tips or any experiences you wish to share we would love to hear and share with other viewers. Transport to port from Rome "Atlante Garden Hotel".
Old Jun 7th, 2008, 11:58 AM

I'm confused. You are starting in Rome (flying into FCO?)why would you need transport from Civitavecchia (or did you mean transport to?)? If you want transport from FCO to your hotel, book one of the limo shuttles which will be cheaper than training in (11€ per person) and then finding a taxi from the train station. Try either www.romeshuttlelimousine.com or http://www.limoservicerome.com/#english (not to be confused with a company with a similar name -limoservice(s)rome).

To get from Rome to the port, you can take the train from Roma Termini. It takes about 1 hour and cost is about 10€ per person.
www.trenitalia.com

Will you have two full days in Rome or si that counting the arrival day?
Old Jun 7th, 2008, 12:24 PM

Will you have two full days in Rome or is July 7 a day of arrival from the US (meaning you will be suffering from jet lag)?

With two days in Rome I think it makes sense to spend one in the Vatican City (including the museums) and one seeing some of the major Roman sights (at least the Forum, exterior of Colosseum and the Pantheon--more if you are interested ). I would also try to spend an evening around the Piazza Navona and maybe the other in Trastevere. Your hotel is right near St. Peter's and not as interesting for night life.

There are a number of web sites that suggest itineraries for Rome in 48 hours. All of them set a pretty brisk pace but could give you some ideas on how to structure your time. For example there are suggested self-guided itineraries for one, two and three days on the frommers.com/destinations site.

It is nice you can enjoy your anniversary celebration as a family. Hope you have a great trip.
Old Jun 7th, 2008, 12:24 PM
Original Poster

We are arriving July 7, FCO and staying in Rome departing July 9, then to Port Civitavecchia, Hotel has transport however it is 160E, is this a fair price for 4 people and luggage.
Thanks
Old Jun 7th, 2008, 12:52 PM

With two boys of that age and only 2 days I would stick to Colosseum and Forum and then just walk around the centro storico taking in Pantheon , Piazza Navona, Fontana Di Trevi, Piazza Di Spagna and eat one night in Campo dei fiori and one night in Trastevere. You don't want to be dragging them to the Vatican with all the queues. Just see St Peter's if you must and skip the museums.
Old Jun 7th, 2008, 01:06 PM

My husband and I spent a week in Rome in February 2007 (with our then- 16 year old son. (this was also a 25th anniversary trip for us) Our son was mostly interested in Roman ruins and was much less enthusiastic about churches and art museums.
He was glad he saw the Sistine Chapel and Raphael rooms, though. I agree standing in line is hard when you have such a short time in Rome. Lots of people arrange for guided tours that provide faster entrance in the mornings. The other time of day to go for shorter lines seems to be mid-day.
We all really enjoyed the area around Piazza Navona and Piazza della Rotunda (Pantheon) and we went back most days to that area
Old Jun 7th, 2008, 01:23 PM

metzpeg - did you look at the links kybourbon gave you? Limo Service Rome rates to the port are 160Eur and the shuttle rates are 145Eur so I guess the hotel is giving you a fair rate since these are reputable companies. However the train is 40Eur plus a taxi to the station.
Old Jun 7th, 2008, 01:36 PM

Hello metzpeg, with basically a day and a half unless The Vatican is important to you and your family I would not try to visit it this trip.

I would follow carrom's thinking as actually you will just have a day and a half for Rome.

And personally I would opt for a shuttle bus versus the train and taxi.

A thought, if you and your wife would enjoy spending two hours at the Borghese Gallery that would be wonderful, again if it would be of interst to you. If your sons are not interested they could wander around on their own while you do that. You would need to make advance reservations and show up 30 minutes before your reservation time to get your tickets.

Wishing you both a beautiful 25th anniversary and obviously it will be!
Old Jun 8th, 2008, 04:46 AM

Here is my suggested itinerary for Rome in One Day: (assuming that you are starting at Termini)

From Termini train station, take Metro Line B (Blue) Southbound (Laurentina) two stops to the Colosseo (Colosseum) stop.

Visit the Colosseum and the Forum. English language tours with Italian docents are available; audiophones for self-guided tours are available at most tourist sites.

Go back to the Colosseo Metro stop and take Line B (Blue) Northbound (Rebibbia) two stops back to Termini. When you transfer at Termini you go from one line to the other and don’t pay another fare. Change trains to Line A (Red) Northbound (Battistini) six stops to the Ottaviano/San Pietro stop. Exit station and walk south on Via Ottaviano, through Piazza del Risorgamente to Piazza San Pietro (St. Peter’s Square)

Visit St. Peter’s Square (San Pietro) and St. Peter’s Cathedral. The Pieta is located in the Cathedral as well as many other outstanding pieces- there is no charge for St. Peter’s, but you do have to go through a security check. Note: Perhaps the best gelato in Rome can be found at Old Bridge Gelateria, which is across the street from where people line up to get into the Vatican Museum. The Vatican Museum houses the Sistine Chapel, which is magnificent. It will take probably at least 2-3 hours to make this visit due to the lines, so you may want to keep that in mind while deciding whether or not you want to include it in your itinerary.

Walk southeast on Via della Conciliazione (a major avenue) to the Tiber River. Cross the Tiber River on one of the bridges. We recommend the Ponte Sant Angelo or “Bridge of Angels,” which has several Bernini statues of angels on it, which crosses the Tiber at the Castel Sant Angelo. Continue on Corso Vittorio Emanuele (another major avenue). Take a left (north) on Corso Rinascimento to Piazza Navona. Many fountains, artists and other artisan booths are found in this piazza, which is one of the best known in Rome.

From Piazza Navona walk east to the Pantheon. This was originally a temple to all the Roman gods, which was later taken over by the Christians. Its dome with its open oculus is famous. Raphael is buried here.

From the Pantheon, walk east (crossing a major avenue – Via del Corso) to Trevi Fountain. Trevi Fountain is the most famous fountain in Rome. If you throw a coin over your shoulder into the fountain you will return to Rome some day, according to local lore.

From Trevi Fountain, walk north to the Spanish Steps (Spagna) . Caution: The Spanish Steps area is where all the top fashion houses’ stores are located.

Near the the base of the Spanish Steps, look for a Metro station sign. Take Metro Line A (Red) Southbound (Anagnina) two stops to the Termini station.

Old Jun 8th, 2008, 07:09 AM

The OP's hotel is just a few blocks from St. Peter's; I certainly think they should spend some time there if not in the Vatican museums.
Old Jun 8th, 2008, 07:32 AM

Just a little side note. In July, Rome can be stifling hot. Prepare accordingly.

For me, I would take a private tour of one or two things that interest you. There is no reason to wander around aimlessly when it's hot and you are jet lagged. Then, find a great restaurant, make a reservation, and enjoy a warm Roman evening afterwards.
Old Jun 8th, 2008, 08:39 AM
Original Poster

Many Thanks to all, I wish I have known about this site before I arranged and researched all our other itineries it would of saved tons of time and confusion. I am sure for anyone who reads your wonderful advice and tips can benefit as well.

Day 1 with jet lag included we MAY go with this suggestion:
Walk to Via della Conciliazione (a major avenue) to the Tiber River. Cross the Tiber River on one of the bridges. We recommend the Ponte Sant Angelo or “Bridge of Angels,” which has several Bernini statues of angels on it, which crosses the Tiber at the Castel Sant Angelo. Continue on Corso Vittorio Emanuele (another major avenue). Take a left (north) on Corso Rinascimento to Piazza Navona. Many fountains, artists and other artisan booths are found in this piazza, which is one of the best known in Rome.

From Piazza Navona walk east to the Pantheon. This was originally a temple to all the Roman gods, which was later taken over by the Christians. Its dome with its open oculus is famous. Raphael is buried here.

From the Pantheon, walk east (crossing a major avenue – Via del Corso) to Trevi Fountain. Trevi Fountain is the most famous fountain in Rome. If you throw a coin over your shoulder into the fountain you will return to Rome some day, according to local lore.

From Trevi Fountain, walk north to the Spanish Steps (Spagna).

DAY 2
Any sites we were unable to see on Day 1, we can perhaps catch up on the next late afternoon or evening after the vatican city and museums.(any recommendations on tour guides in the vatican and rome.)
Our boys want very much to visit vatican city, the Sistine Chapel and Raphael rooms also interest them.
I have read some on buses to get around to sites in Rome, has anyone utilized the buses.
Many Thanks
Old Jun 8th, 2008, 10:04 AM
Original Poster

This site is great. I recommend just reading through threads you can pickup some real useful advice. I have found a thread in Europe forum about vatican:
Vatican Museums tour: the correct information
Old Jun 8th, 2008, 10:49 AM

If your hotel is close to St. Peter's as vttraveler said, then you can catch the train to Civitavecchia at the S. Pietro train station instead of going all the way to Termini. Trains leave from this station for Civitavecchia on the hour (58 minutes travel time) and on the half hour (48 minutes travel time). The cost is actually only 4.10€ per person. This is a regional train line so there is no 1st class or seat reservations.
Old Jun 8th, 2008, 11:26 AM

If you decide to walk over to the Piazza Navona area on day #1 I would recommend taking Via Dei Coronari east (after crossing the Ponte S. Angelo )then heading south to Piazza Navona. Via Dei Coronari is an old pilgrimage route (name means street of the rosary sellers) and it is much more pleasant than Corso Vittorio Emanuele

Between P.Navona and the Pantheon you might want to stop briefly in the church of San Luigi dei Francesi which has three beautiful early Caravaggio paintings of the life of St. Matthew.

Be sure to carry water bottles and stop for gelato during your walk

In answer to your question about buses, the tourist office runs two hop on/hop off buses. One is the #110 which loops around the central historic part of the city and crosses over to the Vatican. The other is the archeo bus which runs from the center city to the Appian way, the catacombs and some of the major aqueducts.
We took the second on our trip and it worked out well for us in February. We had more time in Rome than you and didn't feel the need to try the #110, but it might be a good option for you. I think these buses get quite crowded in summer. If you do a search on this forum you will find threads that describe them in more detail.
Old Aug 8th, 2008, 07:22 AM

I just returned from a Rome vacation and spent over $1,000 on Rome Shuttle Limousine's services. I do NOT recommend them. Stay away. All over the site they advertise a Mercedes Benz fleet. Two of our rides were in dirty old cars, a Chrylser mini-van and Lancia. The latter vehicle had no air conditioning. I complained but they don't care.