What to do in Rome for 2 days?

Old Apr 22nd, 2002, 09:31 AM
bennyboy

What to do in Rome for 2 days?

Please do not say that two days in not enough or that I shouldn't bother going. Our itinerary is set and we are going and need some advice on what to do and see. We are two young (24yo) males and will arrive around 1pm on 7/3 and leave on a flight to Barcelona @ 10am on 7/5, so we basically have 1 whole day + and afternoon and evening. Please write with suggestions on the best way to spend this time. We would like to see as much as possible in this short amount of time. Thanks for your help!

Old Apr 22nd, 2002, 09:37 AM
frank

would suggest that you spend the day looking at the sites of ancient Rome and the afternoon at the vatican. We had one day in Rome but used a guide to take us round the ancient Rome sites. I think your best bet would be to do the same. It's a huge city and may be difficult for you to do it yourself given your timescale. However there are some very knowledgeable readers of this site who may be able to help more!

Old Apr 22nd, 2002, 09:58 AM
dan woodlief

I would also advise St. Peters on the first day. If you want to see the Vatican Museums (Sistine Chapel, etc.) I would see the museums followed by the basilica so that you can assure yourselves of getting into the museums early enough. The second day - start with a visit to Campo dei Fiori for the market (only if you are staying in that part of Rome), then on to the Colosseum and Forum; then you may wish to go up to the Palatine Hill if you have time. Then hop on over to the Pantheon before it closes. For the late afternoon and evening, walk from the Pantheon to Piazza Navona, the Trevi Fountain and Spanish Steps.

Old Apr 22nd, 2002, 12:01 PM
Sherry

We arrive in Rome at about noon on a Saturday. We have signed up for a Scavi tour and then we plan to go to the Pantheon.<BR>On Sunday we plan to go to the Borghese gallery late morning. Early that morning we plan to go to a flea market that is only on Sundays in the Trastevere area. Unfortunately, you cannot do this.<BR>On Sunday night we had signed up for a 3 hour walking tour of Rome.<BR>The rest of the time we will wing it. There is a bus #110 you can take and jump on and jump off at major attractions. You can also get a subway pass and do the same thing.<BR>We plan to spend some time on the Piazza Navona just people watching. And if I was in my mid twenties, I would be in the Campo d. Fiori at night because I understand it jumps with young people.<BR>So you see, we do not have any more time than you do. We fly out on Monday morning.<BR>I wouldn't try to cram the day , just plan that you will go back. Our plans are made and we cannnot change them, either. Have a wonderful time<BR><BR> <BR><BR><BR>

Old Apr 22nd, 2002, 01:09 PM
Vita

Oh my god! I would never tell anyone not to bother going to Rome! A day and a half is better than nothing. <BR><BR>I agree with the person who said to do the afternoon in the Vatican and the full day in ancient Rome. The only qualifier there is that, if the Sistine Chapel is important to you (and I'm not saying it should be) check the visiting hours for the days you'll be there so you don't miss it. <BR><BR>The only other advice I'd have is not to rush it and try to cram it all in. Give yourself the time to appreciate whatever it is you decide to see. <BR><BR>For the full day, you should be able to see Piazza Venezia, the Forum, Colosseum, Pantheon, and Piazza Navona. You can see Trevi Fountain and the Spanish Steps at night after the other sites close.<BR><BR>Also, there's a great gelato place called San Crispino near Trevi Fountain. Everyone knows about it so you can ask for directions when you get there.

Old Apr 22nd, 2002, 01:11 PM
Vita

One more thing - you'd probably enjoy Trastevere in the evening.