Rome to Sorrento - best, safest way to travel

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 16th, 2018, 03:22 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello, I’m interested in the safest form of traveling from Rome to Sorrento in August I’ve heard mixed reviews on the Naples train station and since it will just be two female travelers in my group with a large suitcase each, I figured I’d ask. I assume the train to Naples and then Sorrento is the fastest, cheapest option, but I’ve also heard about buses. The bus, I’ve read, may take double the time but then you wouldn’t need to lug a heavy suitcase up and down stairs on your own or be on the lookout for pick pockets. We are city women so we’re always aware, but would much prefer the simplest way that isn’t as stressful. I think a private transfer via car is too cost prohibitive at this time. Is the length of time on the bus the only downside to bus vs. train? Thoughts?? Thank you!
Old Jun 16th, 2018, 05:42 AM

The train from Naples is fine. Just pay attention to what's going on around you, and you'll be fine, too. You may want to seriously consider downsizing your suitcase to no more than a 22". It'll make your entire trip a LOT easier.
Old Jun 16th, 2018, 06:16 AM

Think you may be bes with a car tranfer airport to Sorrento. No dangers involved if aware like Holly says but have th change trains twice - for trainsbook early at Acquista il biglietto con le nostre offerte - Trenitalia for cheaper tickets - www.seat61.com has loads on doing that.
Old Jun 16th, 2018, 06:39 AM

No need to worry about safety at the Naples train station if you are cautious. When I traveled by train I kept my passport and cc in a neck pouch - most of the time I didn't bother, but when using the train, I did this so I could focus on my luggage etc. I would recommend taking business class from Rome to Naples, it is not that much more and very comfortable. I would not take the train from Naples to Sorrento, while it is fine for a day trip, or going to Pompei, it is really like a subway and can get very hot and crowded and the thought of dealing with luggage in the situation - ugh. The private car transfer is not too expensive and very comfortable as well. This is what I would recommend
Old Jun 16th, 2018, 09:58 AM

A car transfer Rome (FCO) to Sorrento will cost $500-600 euros, unless you can find a busy service that might be able to add you to an existing reservation. It is nearly an all-day round trip for the taxi driver. I agree with Bella. Rail to Naples and bus to Sorrento would be the first choice for most people. We travel light, so, for us, the local train is not so bad. Sometimes, as we have experienced in the area, you have no choice, as the rail or the bus might be on strike. And, be cautious in any European rail station, but nothing to be afraid of in any of them including Naples. We were in Naples station not long ago, and there was a piano player in the main area that made it feel as civilized as any one we had ever been in. When you return, if you travel by rail from Sorrento, hang onto your tickets. They didn't check tickets onboard; rather they made passengers show tickets on the way out of the exit into the station; and many were being referred to an office, presumably where they were fined.
Old Jun 16th, 2018, 10:45 AM

Luggage weight is one of my primary concerns when I am evaluating my safety on public transportation in Europe, to me as important as having my valuables secreted and always being aware of my surroundings. If I can't move around quickly and store my things away on trains without help, I'm not going to feel particularly safe. I'm not familiar with the Naples train station, but I've never been in any major train station anywhere in Europe where there weren't at least a handful of opportunists looking for people who seem confused or who can't move around quickly and determinedly. So unless you are off to a cruise or a fancy wedding or encounters with royalty, don't show up in Italy with a huge, heavy suitcase.

I think the bus to Sorrento is a good suggestion.
Old Jun 16th, 2018, 11:26 AM

Just do the obvious thing that any European would do without even thinking about it:

Take a high-speed train Rome Termini to Naples Centrale, from €19.90 Acquista il biglietto con le nostre offerte - Trenitalia - it's ticketless, you just quote the booking reference on board.

Change onto the Circumvesuviana Railway Naples to Sorrento, €4.50 or so, 55 minutes, every 30 minutes. Buy at the station, it';s mass transit - with great views of Vesuvius as you round the Bay.

There's really nothing to worry about at Naples Centrale, your bags will no doubt have wheels on, don't travel with a suitcase the size of a 20' ISO shipping container, just travel with a back-pack size roll-along and daypack, that's all you really need.

I certainly wouldn't want to endure that long in a bus on an ugly motorway.
Old Jun 16th, 2018, 12:35 PM

Just do the obvious thing that any European would do without even thinking about it

except many would drive themselves right from airport?