Best Way to travel from Rome to Sorrento

Old May 9th, 2007, 03:24 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Best Way to travel from Rome to Sorrento

We would like opinions on what means of travel we should take from Rome to Sorrento(bus or train).
We are travelling in September this year.
Look forward to hearing from you.
Old May 9th, 2007, 06:19 PM

I have traveled from Rome to Sorrento and can only give you my experience. We took the train from Rome to Naples where we transfered to the Circumvesuviana line which took us directly to Sorrento.

You depart the Rome train and following the signs to the Circumvesuviana train (minimal cost) down a set of escalators. Make sure you get on the correct train.

At the platform to the train my husband was lifted of his wallet as we got on the train. Try to avoid this experience and keep your money in a "Money Belt". Some people think this is unnecessary, but it only takes one time to ruin your trip.

The train stops at the last stop which is Sorrento.

If you search the internet under "circumvesuviana" you will find a schedule of the time that the train leaves Naples and when it arrives in Sorrento.

My daughters have also taken the ferry from the Naples harbor, this may be an option, but not for me.

Old May 9th, 2007, 06:36 PM

Best way is the train to Naples and then the local Circumvesuvia. Some think the local train is a little sketchy, so the other option is to arrange for a driver to meet you at the Naples station. This will cost an additional 100euros.

How many in your group and how "street smart" would determine my decision.
Old May 9th, 2007, 09:45 PM

I believe there is a bus right from Rome to Sorrento run by Marozzi which takes about 4 hours.
Old May 9th, 2007, 10:22 PM

Peteralan is right, the Marozzi bus-and it is both comfortable and hugely convenient-except it takes only 3 hours, not 4. You put your luggage underneath the coach, and away you go-it leaves from Rome's Tiburtina Station, and takes you right to the Corso Italia in Sorrento-in the middle of town-there's an ATM machine and bank at the stop where the bus picks up and drops off.

Here is the schedule:

www.alfonsoamare.it/english/marozzi.htm
Old May 9th, 2007, 10:33 PM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
The bus is actually the easiest (no changing in Naples), but the times aren't as convenient. There is supposedly a new bus service by Curreri, but I don't know of anyone that has used it yet. Click English, then airport shuttle and scroll to the bottom of the page for the schedule. 16E one way.
http://www.curreriviaggi.it/
Old May 9th, 2007, 11:47 PM
Original Poster

Many thanks everyone. Its great to hear of other experiences.
Old May 10th, 2007, 10:48 AM

We did the train from Rome and then Cirumvesuviana from Naples - "a little sketchy" is a fair description if the Cirumvesuviana - no more, no less. Similar to subway in NYC or CTA. It also only cost about 3 euro. I also suggest a money belt if you go this route, mostly for the platform.
Old May 15th, 2007, 10:12 AM

What if we want to travel on a Friday in October? Is there a 3pm bus from Rome to Sorrento? The web site indicates that the schedule is for June 1 to Sept 30. Thank you!
Old May 15th, 2007, 08:22 PM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
The Marozzi bus is seasonal, but I don't know about the Rome/Sorrento Curreri bus. There is a bus from Rome to the Naples port operated by Carrani, but I don't see much advantage to that over the train since you would still need to get to Sorrento. Of course, from the port you can catch a ferry to Sorrento.
http://www.carrani.com/servizi/navetta.asp?lng=_gb