Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Private driver vs. public transportation?

Old Aug 15th, 2007, 12:55 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My sister & I have booked our trip to Rome/Sorrento thru Avanti Destinations. We decided to use public transportation vs. private. $140 per person from FCO to our hotel seems a little extreme. Our travel agent states that the Avanti agent thinks taking the train from Naples to Sorrento is to dangerous and that we should use the private car they have booked. On this leg, there will be four of us traveling during the day. Is there a problem in that area or is Avanti just wanting our $$$? Would another mode of transportation be better other that the private limo's Avanti is trying to get for us? Thanks so much for any advice. Janice
Old Aug 15th, 2007, 01:04 AM

Sorry, but what are these extreme dangers that this Limo-service is painting in front of your eyes?
Old Aug 15th, 2007, 01:34 AM

They obviously want your money.
Old Aug 15th, 2007, 02:01 AM

The travel time from FCO to Sorrento by car is about 2.5-3 hours. I don’t think that rate is actually too far off the going rates, although it might be a bit high. You might want to look into your own car service and see what they are quoting, try these which have been recommended on this board:

positanocarservice.com
www.cuomonet.it
www.sorrentolimo.com
www.benvenutolimos.com

I have taken the train numerous times, including by myself on several occasions and don’t see the dangers. While Naples train station has a reputation of being unsafe, I have not had any problems, and in a group and not acting stupidly like having open purses or anything, I don’t see any issues. No one gets robbed at gunpoint or anything. I would say there are some unsavoury types around, but there are police too.

The car is certainly MUCH easier however, and the one way fare for the whole trip assuming you want to go in first class for the Rome-Naples portion (you do) is going to be like US$60 per person. Plus, if the car meets you at FCO that is a big advantage over the train, IMO, as you will have to get from FCO to central Rome first to get the train to Naples, and then switch again in Naples for the Circumvesuviana train to Sorrento (or you can take a bus). There is a train from FCO airport where you can get a train for Rome. But switching 3 times with baggage, after an overnight flight, and having no idea how to buy tickets or otherwise what you are doing (you have to validate tickets, for instance) would not be the most fun way to go. Going via train will take you longer as well given all the changes you will have to make. I believe it is possible to take a bus from Rome to Sorrento but I don’t have info on that.
Old Aug 15th, 2007, 03:13 AM
bellastarr

Hi, I've traveled many different ways from Rome to Sorrento, including by private car. I've taken the train multiple times traveling alone, and haven't experienced any problems yet.
Of course it pays to be alert and careful when using trains. At Naples (where you may find that locals may seem a bit aggressive) you can either take the Circumsuviana or a taxi to Sorrento if you're truly concerned about safety. Or a ferry or hydrofoil from

I don't think the rate they quoted you is much different than the going rate.
I think the bus is a good option, because it's safe and leaves you off in the middle of Sorrento near Piazza Tasso. You just have to get yourselves from FCO to Roma Tibertina (by the Leonardo Express train) and then walk outside to the right.

Here's a link to the timetable. The bus leaves from just outside the Termini Station on the street to your right as your leave the station. You can buy tickets inside the hotel across the street from the buses.

http://www.alfonsoamare.it/english/marozzi.htm

Whatever you decide, happy travels!

Old Aug 15th, 2007, 03:27 AM

I have travelled that route on my own with no problems. However, if you want to strike a balance between not paying too much but avoiding the hassle of getting the Circumvesuviana, you could think about getting the mainline train to Naples & then have a private driver meet you at the station to transport you to Sorrento. Others will have more recent experience than I of getting such a car ride, but since it's generally c.€100 *per car* from Naples to Positano (which is further), it should be a lot cheaper than car all the way.

The only problem is there being 4 of you, plus of course luggage, so you won't all fit in one normal car - you'll need 2 cars or a people-carrier if you can get one. Even 2 cars will still be cheaper, though. There are lots of recommendations on this board for various drivers in that area; so do a search then e-mail them all & ask for a quote for 4 people plus whatever luggage you'll have.

Or can you & your sister go it alone - are the other 2 friends or just other people booked through the same company ? If the former, that simplifies things.
Old Aug 15th, 2007, 03:28 AM

Sorry, that should have been...

if the *latter*, that simplifies things.

Forget about the other 2 & just book a car for you & your sister.
Old Aug 15th, 2007, 03:42 AM
ira

Hi J,

>...$140 per person from FCO to our hotel seems a little extreme. <

Considering that cabs are about 30E pp, it is more than a little extreme.

>...taking the train from Naples to Sorrento is to dangerous...

Nonsense. Balderdash. Bullfeathers.

Train schedules and fares are at www.trenitalia.com/en/index.html

You can buy your tickets online, at the train station or at a TA in Rome.

From Naples, you take the Circumvesuviana commuter train for under 5E pp, or you can hire a driver - about 100E for all of you.

We were pleased with Limousine Service Sorrento (Renato Cuomo)
www.cuomonet.it

Also consider Francesco. http://www.francescomarrapese.com/

Have you booked a tour through Avanti? If so what and how much?

Old Aug 15th, 2007, 06:45 AM

janrantoo, Sorry, but your question is not very clear. Is $140 per person to a hotel in Rome or to your hotel in Sorrento?

If it's to a hotel in Rome, it's a ridiculous price.

But a correction to ira's post:

>>Considering that cabs are about 30E pp, it is more than a little extreme.<<

The official fare for a taxi FCO to central Rome is 40 Euro - per taxi. Most taxis will not be able to take four people with luggage, but some mini-van taxis also line up at FCO.

If it's to your hotel in Sorrento, there are two corrections needed to bellastarr's post:

>>You just have to get yourselves from FCO to Roma Tibertina (by the Leonardo Express train)<<

It's Roma Tiburtina, and you can't take the Leonardo Express to get there. You have to take the FM1 that leaves on the other track from the train station at Fiumicino.

>> The bus leaves from just outside the Termini Station<<

The bus leaves from just outside the Roma *Tiburtina* station.
Old Aug 15th, 2007, 07:13 AM

Train has reputation, valid or not for pickpockets and bag snatchers.

I've taken this train several times with no problems - though i was a bit unnerved once by junkies shooting up in the rear of one car.
Old Aug 15th, 2007, 10:42 AM
bellastarr

Zerlina,
Thank God you were paying attention! I am so sorry, It was early in the morning for me and I was jumping in too fast with information, and as a result garbled it badly!
My profound apologies to the OP, and even more profound thank to Zerlina! I'll do my utmost to make sure it doesn't happen again!

Old Aug 15th, 2007, 07:54 PM
Original Poster

Thanks all for your assistance. We will be in Italy Oct 7-16th. My sister & I will be in Rome 5 days than her 2 daughters will join us for a 4 day trip to Sorrento. We will then go back to Rome for one day then 3 of us will fly home. One daughter will already be in Rome for a "Semester Abroad". We tried to fly out of Naples but everything was booked for 3 days and this schedule worked better for my niece who is still in High School w/ AP classes. Thanks again, Janice