Rome to Sorrento

Search

Rome to Sorrento

Search this Thread

Old Oct 18th, 2006, 08:01 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rome to Sorrento

My husband and I are traveling from Vienna to Rome with our daughter on Friday, October 27. We have hotel reservations in Sorrento for Friday night. How do we get from Rome to Sorrento after 8:00 pm on Friday night?
Thank you for any help you can give.
Old Oct 18th, 2006, 08:26 AM

Take the 8:45 pm ES train from Rome to Naples and then get a private driver to take you from the Naples train station to your hotel in Sorrento.

Train info is at www.trenitalia.com and I highly recommend Benvenuto limos www.benvenutolimos.com
Old Oct 18th, 2006, 11:33 AM
Original Poster

Thanks so much for the info. Where do we pick up the ES train? We are flying in to Fiumicino airport.
Old Oct 18th, 2006, 12:41 PM

From FCO take the Leonardo Express train into the Rome Termini. It leaves twice an hour and it is about 10E/person. From there you can take the ES train to Naples. Go to the trenitalia website so you can see all the train times. There are other trains but the ES is the fastest. There is a 8:45 and 9:45 train and it takes about 1:45.

Another option (more expensive) is to hire a private driver from FCO to Sorrento. We did this for FCO to Positano last month and it was about 400E. Sorrento is probably a little cheaper.

Leonardo Express + ES train + Private driver from Naples to Sorrento will probably be 160-200 Euros.
Old Oct 18th, 2006, 01:16 PM
Original Poster

THANK YOU SO MUCH for all the details. They are most helpful to me, as we have never traveled out of the US. I have one more question that my visit to the Trenitalia site prompted - What fare category do I want? I put in standard when I was researching fares, but am not sure what that means.
Old Oct 18th, 2006, 01:25 PM

The trenitalia website is extremely touchy (to say it mildly)...you will have to register and get a password before you can buy online.

You can also just buy when you get to Rome. If your flight is late and you miss the first train you will have to pay a few extra Euros to change your reservation if you prepurchased.

Sometimes they have a two for one deal but it looks like those trains don't. The Standard ticket will work for you and you can get 1st or 2nd class. We took the 1st class train and have not taken a 2nd class but from what I've read there is not a big difference. In first class they give you a free drink.

In the section for seating just click on the type of seats that you want. You do not have to enter carriage/seat information.