Reload this Page >

Rome to Positano - Best way to go?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 4th, 2001, 03:07 AM
Sandy

We are going from Rome to Positano and are not clear of best way to travel. We are considering train, bus or renting a car. I'd appreciate pros and cons of these methods. Do the busses have room for suitcases?

Old Jun 4th, 2001, 11:50 AM
barbara

We were in Italy last summer and rented a car (before we arrived since we needed an automatic) and drove from Florence - stayed in Tuscany 4 days - all the way to Positano on the AutoStrada. It's not as frightening as it seems. There are 3 lanes, slow, fast and faster. The signs are very clear and the Amalfi Drive is breathtaking. Very narrow roads - just drive carefully. Very easy to get around Positano by car - also very beautiful. Most hotels have a parking area for cars since there is no room to park on the streets. Hope you have as wonderful time as we did.

Old Jun 4th, 2001, 12:24 PM
dick patterson

Driving is a good way to do it, but unless you're really skilled with a manual transmission, I recommend you reserve an automatic. It costs more and you need to reserve well in advance, but those hairpin curves on the Amalfi drive would have been very difficult for me with a manual transmission. I'm not sure I agree that most hotels have parking; if I were you, I'd check with prospective hotels on that issue. Mine didn't; I parked in a lot in Positano (35,000 lire per day) and took a local bus for my day trips on the Amalfi Coast. Be sure to sit on the side closest to the sea. The bus, which originates in Sorrento, had a luggage compartment on the side. If you decide to take a bus from Rome, I'm sure any such bus would have the same arrangement.

Old Jun 4th, 2001, 01:00 PM
Theresa

We drove to Positano, and fortunately our hotel had parking. The coastal roads are very narrow and very curvey. We had to fold in the sideview mirrors for fear of them getting ripped off either on the face of the rock walls lining the road, or by another car going the opposite direction! We made one attempt to drive to Ravello, but we chickened out after we encountered a bus going in the opposite direction of us, and we had to back up about 1/4 mile just to get to a spot the bus could pass! We ended up leaving the car parked, and we rode the buses. You can still enjoy the views on the bus (maybe even more so, since you won't be fearing for your life.) I would not even consider driving the coast at night. <BR> <BR>The buses I saw (long distance kind) would have room for luggage. I didn't really notice on the local (Blue) buses. <BR> <BR>Regardless of what you decide, you will absolutely love the Amalfi Coast!

Old Jun 4th, 2001, 03:29 PM
Diane

Actually we found it easier to drive at night. The tour buses are the biggest problem, and they are gone by then. The SITA bus drivers are terrific, and generally don't pose the problems you have with the tour buses. You want to stay somewhere you can park your car. Then you have the option of leaving it or using it! (Buses do stop running around 10PM, or at least that was the schedule in May -- maybe they run later in season.) We found you had to pay (minimally) per hour at night at public lots in Amalfi and Ravello (didn't get to Positano) until 9PM. But if you were going to be later than that, they had you park so they could put short-termers behind your car. Restaurants won't be open for dinner until 7:30PM (most folks dine later than that).

Old Jun 8th, 2001, 05:46 PM
az

Just returned from a week driving the Amalfi Coast and inland backroads from there. If you enjoy driving, you will greatly enjoy the coastal road and its challenges--be sure to get a small car--parking is precious. A standard transmission is the best (and much less expensive) way to enjoy driving the coast; again, IF you enjoy driving. <BR>To get to the Coast, you have two choices: The Autostrada (A1 from Rome and A3 around Naples) to SS145 toward the Coast--look for the shortcut to Positano in Meta. This is the quickest by far--about 3 hours from Rome driving at 85-90 mph--there is no speed limit on the Autostrada, and you will be passed a lot at this speed. But for the scenic route, cut to the coast south of Terracina (SS82 off of A1) and wind along the coast to A3 around Naples to Meta. This will take much longer; at least twice as long as the Autostrada. <BR>There is no point in driving directly to the coast out of Rome; the area from Ostia (on the coast just SW of Rome) to Terracina is highly developed, and buildings block most of the view of the beach. <BR>Enjoy.

Old Sep 14th, 2004, 12:33 PM
GAC

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
see my posting: Rome to Positano: the FAST way
Old Sep 14th, 2004, 12:43 PM

We drove and had no problem until we got to Rome and realized we didn't have a detailed road map of Rome and couldn't find Termini--our fault totally but after driving through the streets of Rome for about an hour we finally found our way there to drop off the car. So my word of advice, have a Rome street map and then drive.
Old Sep 14th, 2004, 12:53 PM
ira

Hey guys,

This is a post from 200*1*.