Search

Rome to Amalfi

Search this Thread

Old Mar 9th, 2003, 09:45 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rome to Amalfi

Heading to Italy in mid-May for 8 days of R&R with wife and two teenage daughters. Planning on three nights in Rome, 2 on Capri and three in Positano. Any advice on Hotels; don't mind paying top dollar for good service, location, etc.
Old Mar 9th, 2003, 10:50 AM
ira

Hi,<BR> Suggest you do a text search. There have been a number of threads on this topic recently.
Old Mar 10th, 2003, 06:11 AM
rex

Start with venere.com<BR><BR>Strongly consider Minerva or Russie in Rome.<BR><BR>Best wishes,<BR><BR>Rex<BR>[email protected]<BR>
Old Mar 10th, 2003, 02:02 PM

In Positano, highly recommend;<BR>The Poseidon, a 4-star<BR>La Sirenuse, a 5-star<BR><BR>Poseidon is a small, family-run hotel. There I would ask for a jr. suite with terrace. The hotel is about a 10-minute walk to town. We loved it,and I've posted several times about it on this site.<BR><BR>Sirenuse is about a five minute downhill walk from Poseidon, a bit more centrally located. I haven't stayed there, but have heard and read only glowing reports.<BR><BR>We're headed to Capri this summer hopefully.<BR>Three hotels to recommend, starting with the top:<BR>Quisana, (spelling?) is one of if not THE most expensive hotel on Capri. Haven't stayed, but you can read about it if you check out previous posts.<BR>Casa Morgano, also recommended on this site, and owned by the the same people who own Quisana.<BR>We're staying at the Luna, on the recommendation of friends who were there last year. They say to be sure to ask for seaview rooms, since there are several back rooms facing a small courtyard.<BR>Good luck, and have a wonderful time!
Old Mar 10th, 2003, 06:52 PM

We also love the Poseidon. It has lovely pool, excellent food, and a fab spa. Best massage and facial. Love to go back. Nice rooms with lovely balconies.
Old Mar 11th, 2003, 01:31 AM

Put in my vote for the Hotel del Russie in Rome. Great hotel, great location. You can walk to everything (we even walked to St Peters). The staff is wonderful. The courtyard for breakfast or drinks is so peaceful, a nice way to get away from hectic Rome. Their website is hotelderussie.it<BR><BR>On the Amalfi coast, my favourite is the Santa Caterina just outside Amalfi. Such a breathtaking location hugging the cliffs full of bougainvillea and orange groves. I personally like being outside of the villages, and it is any easy walk downhill to Amalfi (the hotel also has a shuttle to the village). Their website is hotelsantacaterina.it, or go through Leading Hotels of the World website at lhw.com. As for Le Sirenuse, it is beautiful, and I love Positano but don't think I would want to stay there as it is too crowded and noisy in town, plus the access to swimming in the Med is not as good. The Palazzo Sasso in Ravello would be a close second. I like to be near the water, which is not possible in Ravello, although the views are really stunning. Run a search on this site, as the Amalfi coast is extremely popular here -- which you will see for yourself when you get there, as 90%^ of the tourists are Americans. Can't really tell you about hotels in Capri, except that it might not be worth moving around between Positano/Amalfi for two nights. Also, please note that it will not be beach weather in May, it will only be in the 60s (F), although you may get a day or so when it is in the low 70's.<BR><BR>There are some great walking paths along the coast with stunning views and picnic spots. There is a very good walking guide to the Capri &amp; the Amalfi coast published by Sunflower books. I first read about it on this site, and used it in September, and thought it was very useful. Their website is sunflowerbooks.co.uk/walking_titles.htm.<BR>