Please help me choose a Capri hotel?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 11th, 2003, 05:17 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi,<BR><BR>I have narrowed my hotel choices to Palazzo Sasso in Ravello, possible Le Sirenuse but all they have available is a standard room (I am open to suggestions) and still deciding on Capri.<BR><BR>We will be arriving in Rome at 12pm and will still have to travel down to the coast. My question is in what order should I stay at these hotels? We are hoping to spend 2 or 3 nights at each location before heading back to Rome for 5 days (still working on where to stay)<BR><BR>Please help with an itenary and a choice for Capri!!!<BR>I appreciate all the feedback!!!
Old Mar 11th, 2003, 05:46 PM

Again and again, we recommend Hotel Mammella! We stayed there 2 years ago and loved it! View of the bay, breakfast served, a bar and a pool. It is in the center of town and an easy walk anywhere important!<BR>Ciao
Old Mar 12th, 2003, 05:36 AM

We just booked at Mamela based on the reviews of ppl on this website- we're really looking forward to it. I think we have a double with ocean views for 250E...not sure b/c my fiancee made the reservations.<BR><BR>Another one that had good reviews on this site is La Minverva but it had no ocean view rooms for the dates we wanted. Via Brunella has also gotten some great reviews.<BR><BR>We found this website to be very helpful-<BR>http://www.capri.net/home/en/index.php<BR><BR>Good luck!
Old Mar 12th, 2003, 06:17 AM

We're staying at the Luna in Capri this summer. It was recommended highly by friends of ours. Just make sure you ask for seaview rooms. In addition to the hotels already posted here, I've heard good things about Casa Morgano, which is owned by the same people who own Quissana.<BR>A quick question and thought about your other travel plans-since your headed to the Amalfi Coast, have you considered flying in and out of London, then taking a plane from Heathrow or Gatwick to Naples? It can be cheaper this way, and it would save you a two-three hour trek at midnight to Ravello. We've done it this way many times, and there are quite a few departures to Naples from both airports. <BR><BR>A last postscript- forgot to mention that we stayed at the Poseidon Hotel in Positano- jr. terrace with seaview. I highly recommend the hotel in every way, if available.<BR><BR>Have a great trip.<BR>Have a great trip!
Old Mar 12th, 2003, 06:36 AM

I would stick to one hotel on the coast and then maybe a few nights in Capri. Moving between Ravello and Positano seems like much more trouble than it is worth. They are quite close together. The only difference is that Ravello is up on top of the mountain and has views over the whole coast, and Positano is on the water and has views out across the Med. <BR>I don't know if you have considered it, but I have to put in a vote for the Santa Caterina in Amalfi. Such a breathtaking location hugging the cliffs full of bougainvillea and orange groves. Great pool right on the water and you can jump into the Med as well. I personally like being outside of the villages, and it is any easy walk downhill to Amalfi (the hotel also has a shuttle to the village). Their website is hotelsantacaterina.it, or go through Leading Hotels of the World website at lhw.com. As for Le Sirenuse, it is beautiful, and I love Positano but don't think I would want to stay there as it is too crowded and noisy in town, plus the access to swimming in the Med is not as good. The Palazzo Sasso in Ravello would be a close second. I like to be near the water, which is not possible in Ravello, although the views are really stunning. Run a search on this site, as the Amalfi coast is extremely popular here -- which you will see for yourself when you get there, as 90% of the tourists are Americans. Can't really tell you about hotels in Capri. <BR>I would suggest you go by train from Rome to Naples, have a car meet you at the train station and go down the coast to Positano/Amalfi/Ravello, whatever coast town you choose. I would save Capri for later in your trip, as I think it might be a long day getting to the ferry pier in Naples and then out to Capri, and then up to your hotel.<BR>
Old Mar 12th, 2003, 08:57 AM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone , what great suggestions so far. <BR><BR>If you had the choice would you stay in Ravello or Positano. I am deciding between Palazzo Sasso and somewhere in Positano (not sure yet wanted Le sirenuse but coudl only afford a standard room). We will be there in September so I am assuming that we will be able to still swim. Please help!!!<BR><BR><BR>Also re Capri , how many nights do you think we should stay?<BR><BR>Thanks.<BR><BR>ps: Since we are traveling into Rome and arrving late afternoon do you think we should stay in Rome for the night?
Old Mar 12th, 2003, 09:31 AM

Between Ravello and Positano I would pick Positano. I love Ravello; its's gorgeous, but it is a pain to get to and from and it is pretty quiet, especially in the evening. That may not be a bad thing, but if you're looking for some nightlife Positano has more. I agree that you should only pick one place to stay on the coast; it is just too much trouble to change hotels just for a couple of nights. Positano has ferry service to Sorrento, Amalfi and Capri. Last summer, we took a hydrofoil from Positano and were in Amalfi 15 minutes later. Explored Amalfi and then went up (30 Euro taxi ride each way) to Ravello. Explored Ravello, had a great lunch at Cumpa Cosima and went back to Amalfi and took another hydrofoil back to Positano. It was a great daytrip and we were back at the pool at the Sirenuse by 4:30. I would spend three nights in Positano then two nights in Capri. I recommend the Villa Brunella on Capri. If you are able to fly into Naples that would be ideal. If not, I would spend the night in Rome.
Old Mar 13th, 2003, 05:16 AM

For Positano, we are staying 3 nights at L'Ancora which I believe is next to or across the street from the Sirenuse. Prices were reasonable and we will be getting a seaview room. If you have a car on the coast, I believe L'Ancora has its own parking lot. You can also use the facilities of its sister hotel, Covo di Saraceni for its beach, pool, etc. http://www.htlancora.it/home-eng.htm<BR><BR>Other hotels that have gotten good reviews on this site and others is Poseidon, which we also considered. <BR><BR>Good luck!
Old Mar 13th, 2003, 05:24 AM

Another vote for l'Ancora. We stayed there last year. It is rignt next to Le Sirenuse. It does not have a pool but the sea we swam in the sea. All the rooms there have a seaview and the prices are not that high (E 232). They also have a couple of suites with large terraces but those are more expensive. Still, the location is great. It is just above the main shopping street but at the same time you don't hear any noise.
Old Mar 13th, 2003, 05:33 AM

Since you asked, I would say that you should do the trip in reverse: do Rome first for 5 days and then the Amalfi coast. The reason for this is that the flight and trip down to Amalfi would be exhausting after an international flight. If you have an overnight flight you will then need to clear immigrations and customs at Rome airport, figure out how to get to the Rome train station (1.5 hour maybe for all of this), find your train to Naples, take a 3-hour train ride to Naples, and then about another hour by car to Positano/Amali -- you will arrive at about 6 pm and be absolutely exhausted! Also if your flight is late and you have to wait for the train to Naples this could make your arrival in Amalfi even later. (Having a car meet you at Rome airport and drive you right to the coast would solve some of these problems. However, I still think you would find the day very long and tiring. You would also run into Naples rush hour traffic.)<BR><BR>If you do Rome first, you can actually do some sightseeing on the afternoon of your arrival, have a leisurely dinner and stroll through the streets in the evening (Trevi fountain at night is something), and get to sleep at an early hour. Another reason to do it in reverse it that it will give you a chance to &quot;recover&quot; from Rome --which is so chock-full of sights to see and restaurants that I think you would find it more relaxing to do the coast at the end. <BR>
Old Mar 13th, 2003, 05:15 PM
Original Poster

Thank you Cicerone, that has got me thinking now!!! <BR><BR>Can you offer any advice on where to stay in Rome. I am trying to this trip on a budget but am still on my honeymoon. Let me ask yoy what you think would be the best plan for the coast? Would you go to Ravello first of <BR>Positano whith possibly staying in Capri?<BR><BR>Thanks!!